newuniversal Discussion (Spoilers)

Should I buy the hardcover of this?

Do you mean you aren't reading the series but want to know if it will be worth getting in HC? Absolutely. Some of the characters are confusing but it's very good...I will be getting the HC.

Do you mean you aren't reading the series but want to know if it will be worth getting in HC? Absolutely. Some of the characters are confusing but it's very good...I will be getting the HC.

Indeed. One of the better titles Marvel is putting out right now. It might read a bit slow, but its only because Ellis is trying to build us a world in which his characters exist, not just new characters in an already existing world.

Things were just starting to pick up at the end of #6 and now I gotta wait for a hiatus? Ugh.

Yes, I haven't read any of the issues except for the first one, and was wondering how the series was going.

Well, this reads alot better when you read them all in a row.

I got the hardcover of this today, the ideas that Ellis puts into the universe is excellent stuff.

The white event is like a bump in evolution. These people are given powers so that the world may reach the next level easier, without the bumps. Each time this happens, new versions of these people gain the powers. I like how the tech is shown, she can see all devices, and interpret what they mean and how to fix them.

Nightmask was a cool ability, she's basically able to walk in the Winding Way, and have a supercomputer telling her answers. I'm not sure if the supercomputer is on our side though.

Starbrand is completely lost and clueless. He has the ability to do almost anything, but doesn't know how to do it. The three other Starbrands arriving to try to talk him into abandoning his post was a good touch. They have a hidden agenda as well.

Justice is the one who I'm not too sure about. He's obviously around for a reason, but if Starbrand is to protect the world, Cypher is there to see the owrld make the tech jump required, and Nightmask is there for the knowledge, what purpose does he serve?

And the Shaman is an interesting character. I wonder who he was based off of, I never read the initial launch of this universe, so I only know about Justice and Starbrand.

The people excavating the city. I think that's all they are suppose to do, that's were the superpowers will gather.

Hopefully this series gets to be allowed to continue. Hopefully Ellis stop writing Thunderbolts, and writes this full time.

Hopefully this series gets to be allowed to continue. Hopefully Ellis stop writing Thunderbolts, and writes this full time.

I agree. Thunderbolts is OK, but this is much better and if it came down to it I'd rather see him writing this than Thunderbolts. newuniversal is essentially Marvel (Ultimate?) Planetary, which is arguably Warren Ellis at his best.

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as saying this is Planetary. Planetary had the whole different vibe for each story going for it, this one has more of an interconnected fell. I would like this better if they were OGn's instead of a monthly comic

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as saying this is Planetary. Planetary had the whole different vibe for each story going for it, this one has more of an interconnected fell. I would like this better if they were OGn's instead of a monthly comic

Not a bad idea.

And I didn't mean it's Planetary, I meant this is about as close to that as Marvel can get.

Good news: http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=5401

Warren Ellis said:
I've been answering this question a lot, but word doesn't seem to have gotten around. The long hiatus on NEWUNIVERSAL has been down to us waiting for the right artist for the job to get free of his other commitments. That artist is a guy called Steve Kurth, and he's just turned in the pencil art for the first issue of the next arc. A tiny preview of Steve bringing the explodo (see everything kind of bending around the guy in the top panel?):

You know the next series have been solicted?

It has a new artist but it's still Ellis.

The first issue is in May and the next in June.

NEWUNIVV2001.jpg

NEWUNIVERSAL: SHOCKFRONT # 1
The Story: Initially, there were four: A Starbrand. A Nightmask. A Justice. A Cipher. They are manifestations of god-like power on Earth, chosen by the Universe. In the wake of the cosmic phenomenon that empowered them, they have been threatened, hunted, and attacked. And now, they're about to discover that they're not alone. Acclaimed writer WARREN ELLIS (THUNDERBOLTS) and artist STEVE KURTH (LAST OF THE MOHICANS) bring you the return of this new universe: one experiencing superhuman power for the first time.
Parental Advisory …$2.99

In Stores: May 14, 2008 -

NEWUNIVER002.jpg

NEWUNIVERSAL: SHOCKFRONT # 2
The Story: "BREAKS"
A charity football game turns into a nightmare when quarterback Jack Magniconte inadvertently kills another player. Is he the newest human to manifest a superpower glyph? And more to the point, will Ken Connell—who himself manifested the
"Starbrand" glyph—and Izzy Randall—possessor of the "Nightmask" glyph—reach Magniconte before he's killed in the
government's efforts to stop a superhuman Armageddon? WARREN ELLIS and STEVE KURTH's brilliant re-imagining of the super hero continues.
Parental Advisory …$2.99

In Stores: Jun 11, 2008 -

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back