newuniversal Discussion (Spoilers)

sorry i think i misread the parentheses on your previous post why i went off on a tangent on last issues.

Yeah, I was just saying it doesn't NEED one if the story is ended, but even so they still sometimes have them for the next story.

Even Stan Lee ended Spider-Man issues with Peter going off happily on a date. After defeating a super-villain first, of course.

Even Stan Lee ended Spider-Man issues with Peter going off happily on a date. After defeating a super-villain first, of course.
Alan Moore said:
Stan Lee invented two-dimensional characterization: "This person is good but has bad luck with girlfriends," and "This person is bad but might just reform and join the Avengers if enough readers write in asking for it."
What? Someone say something?

This book is still hands down one of the best books Marvel is producing.

6 issues in and it finally looks like something is gonna happen. To be honest---I really think this book is gonna pick up big time around the third arc (possibly even late second). Characters have been established....plotlines have been furthered...blah blah blah. I love it. Seriously.

The Bruce Willis-lookalike going all Boondock Saints on the crowd was awesome. I mean obviously it's a little extreme....but it still looked cool.

There's obviously no reason for me and Ourchair to do a dreamcast on this project because all the characters have a real-life counterparts.

I like this. I really do. I want to love it. But it's so boring. I can't keep track of the characters or what's happening.

I have the same problem with Criminal.

I'm not really loving it. It's all right. Only reason I won't drop it is on the off chance it somehow ties into the Ultimate Universe down the line.

I'm not really loving it. It's all right. Only reason I won't drop it is on the off chance it somehow ties into the Ultimate Universe down the line.

clunk.

did i use that right?

no?

not at ALL?

dammit, gotta practice that.

I just figured out my problem with this title -- it really should be a TV series.

Granted, that would be totally expensive, given some of the "effects" we've seen, so far. (Especially with the big space-station-type thing that Izanami communicates with.)

But it would at least feel like we'll be getting some much-needed plot momentum sooner, rather than later.

It doesn't help that the story structure has a LOT of similarities with Heroes. But Heroes (more or less) aired a new episode, on a weekly basis, throughout the first season.

With newuniversal, we need to wait up to a month and a half for a continuation of storyline that will contain about as much narrative content as an episode of a prime-time TV series. And that's just waaay too long.

Granted, that content is often superior to about 95% of anything else that Marvel is publishing right now. But it's just too damn slim for a comic being released on a normal schedule.

If newuniversal #6 were the sixth weekly episode of newuniversal Season One, then maybe i'd be a little more satisfied. But as it stands, TV has totally spoiled me, in that sense, with regards to the pace of storytelling that i've come to expect.

I like this. I really do. I want to love it. But it's so boring. I can't keep track of the characters or what's happening.

I have the same problem with Criminal.

I'm having the same problem, and with Criminal as well.

I'm expecting that it will read much better in trades.

The funny thing is that I can tell that the characters are good and are interesting, particularly the guy that's going around killing people, but as you can see I can't even remember his name.

I do really like it though.

I like this series, too. But in a review of #6 on AICN they mentioned the story is "half over". Is this a limited series? a 12-issue "Maxi-series", as they used to say? If so, that would've been nice to know. It's a trend i've noticed a lot these days, finding out what i thought was an ongoing is actually a limited series, albeit a longer one. Battlestar Galactica. Deadman. I troll a lot of comics sites for news, and i only recently discovered these titles are finite, which would've been nice to know, cause i almost dropped them, but now that i know, i'll stick it out. Why isn't there any indication about this? Do limited series not sell as well overall? Or is it on kind of a case by case basis? I personally would prefer to know if something is finite, cause i'm on a budget and it would help make the decision whether to get on board.

Last edited:
So, apparently this isn't coming back until 2008.

I don't understand what's going on. Why would there be an unannounced six month break in between story arcs of an ongoing book?

I don't understand what's going on. Why would there be an unannounced six month break in between story arcs of an ongoing book?

Lame. It's probably because Larocca is doing the 5 part Uncanny X-Men storyline... they should have just let Billy Tan do it and let Larocca finish newuniversal.

Link?

Here you go, your highness.

marvel.com said:
Marvel is pleased to announce that 2008 will see the return of newuniversal to comic stands, as the second season kicks off with the kind of bang you'd expect from Warren Ellis, the mind behind Nextwave and Thunderbolts. Like your favorite television dramas, the creative team behind this hit comic book series is taking some time off to return even bigger and bolder than before, with two factions fighting for control of Earth's superhuman population.

Latest posts

Back