Ourchair's Awesome Anime Thread

So, is anybody planning to pick up on my pimpage? :D

I don't feel motivated to promote more interesting anime at the moment because it's all Naruto/FMA/Cowboy Bebop talk right now.

In other news, I think Fullmetal Alchemist is genius. I've been really in love with this franchise for a while but don't really talk about it because it's hyped enough as it is.

But if you ask me, it's the perfect series for fans of pre-Carey Ultimate Fantastic Four and pretty much anything that involves the spirit of humanist scientific progress like Star Trek and a bunch of Warren Ellis books.

I'd elaborate on that if anyone's interested.
Well I'm just not the type to go out a by something just to check it out, but if Planetes were ever on tv I'd watch just on your suggestion. So go on and promote them cause I'd probably just pass over them. I mean I had no interest in checking out FMA, Id just see small bits in passing through the channel, but a freind said it was awesome and now I'm a big fan

I've been enjoying it as well, though I hate the childish fillers they have. And I have been really enjoying some of the theme song on Adult Swim and I think its because its in a different language so you kinda listen to the lyric on another level. Also the reason why they have so one fight takes three weeks is so they avoid catching up to the manga, DBZ push that idea so far its not even funny.
The fillers end on Feb. 15 in Japan and the anime will go into the 2nd part of the series that the manga has been in for some time, but I got so fed up with the fillers that I stopped watching a long time ago. Then I found the manga translation online and it's really good stuff. I will start watching when the anime goes back to following the manga again. God bless youtube.

yeah i really have no interest in most of the anime mentioned in this thread, i should say HAD no interest. im definitely gonna be checkin some of them out now lol but i dont think really any british networks show much anime anymore so itll probbaly be a case of downloading episodes.

for anyone who cares there is going to be a second Keroro Gunsou Movie!!!!!!
im going to have to plan my next trip to japan around its release :)

I also have a hidden shame.

I think that Naruto is stupid and annoying and can't bring myself to watch any of the episodes, in English or otherwise. At my school, this is blasphemous.

My favs would be Saint Seiya, Cowboy Bebop and I guess Naruto...
I'm like the only one in the world that likes Final Fantasy Unlimited.
I hate Evangelion with a passion and I don't follow animes anymore wich is a shame. Im mainly reading this so I can see what good animes are out there so I can come back.

I hate Evangelion with a passion and I don't follow animes anymore wich is a shame. Im mainly reading this so I can see what good animes are out there so I can come back.

Really? Back in the day I was a huge Evangelion fan.

I too hated Evangelion. Sometimes things get too ****ed up.

I also have a hidden shame.

I think that Naruto is stupid and annoying and can't bring myself to watch any of the episodes, in English or otherwise. At my school, this is blasphemous.

Yeah those kids are loser, I mean I find it entertaining buts its definitely not something to swear by. Unlike FMA which I will forever say one of the great animated shows of our time

Even if others here don't Like I personally think the

best Anime ever Is Db/dbz/dbgt(gt to a lesser extent)

Favourite Anime film = Akira or Street fighter II

There a lot of good anime out there. Even if I do not like all off I encourage all of it because I'm sick of people who do not like anime complaining of the art style or saying "Oh all anime is like pokemon"

9 times out of 10 I think Anime is better than most cartoons realised. Better story , Better fights , Better characters. Now there are good non-anime cartoons yes but I think the anime style is better

Meh. Besides Bebop, Champloo, FMA, Death Note and Evangelion I really don't like anime. 90% of it is crap...mostly because it doesn't translate over to English very well.

Just my oppinion, but most of the "Shoujo" crap is annoying, not to mention the generic adventure series.

Meh. Besides Bebop, Champloo, FMA, Death Note and Evangelion I really don't like anime. 90% of it is crap...mostly because it doesn't translate over to English very well.

Just my oppinion, but most of the "Shoujo" crap is annoying, not to mention the generic adventure series.

Agreed. People say that anime is better than comics/movies/cartoons etc. but I don't think they're counting that a large majority of anime is absolute ****.

What I saw of Evangelion I liked... well, it was like two episodes.

Agreed. People say that anime is better than comics/movies/cartoons etc. but I don't think they're counting that a large majority of anime is absolute ****.
I don't like most of it, but there is so much of it that even if you only like 10% or so you end up watching a bunch of shows. Thank god most of the shows I like were short and had planned out endings.
Me too

But the moral of that story is you never leave a sexual repressed teenaged boy in charge of saving the world.
It's a good moral too, because that happens all the time.

I liked Evangelion. It was... strange, but I liked it. All the same it's really overrated.

The problem with Evanglion is it started off great, then floundered, as if the writer had no idea where to go from there

Are you kidding? Evangelion started out like any other average mech anime and then turned into one of the most intellectually stimulating pieces of animation that I've ever born witness to.

Except for the mind-**** that the last 3 or so episodes were.

Well I'm just not the type to go out a by something just to check it out, but if Planetes were ever on tv I'd watch just on your suggestion. So go on and promote them cause I'd probably just pass over them.
Given that most of you people have Internet connections faster than mine (I'm on dial-up), I'm surprised not many of you are into dloading anime series off Torrents and the like. There's a good amount of fansubbed anime out there.

Wade_Wilson said:
I'm no big fan of Naruto but I think its popularity has to be understood with some amount of perspective --- it's a long-running serial narrative packed with soap operatic character development as framed around complicated fight scenes. You know, kinda like a long-running superhero comic book.

I think the reason why the series is so polarizing is because it places a moronic hyperactive loudmouth as its protagonist, and that doesn't always sit well with some audiences because they want their characters to be immediately likeable. But Naruto is about a kid who grows through the years (I heard the creator intends to end the series when Naruto becomes Hokage) and the only way to maximize that growth is to place him in the bottom rung of maturity and wisdom --- hence the obnoxious brat hero.

The reason why Naruto can get annoying is because there's so much material that it becomes difficult to maintain the patience necessary to follow it completely. There's a lot of filler material, too, which is unsurprising given the way the series was conceived. It's part of a long tradition of pop culture where people construct long-running works designed to be fast and disposable like daytime soaps and daily comic strips. I doubt its producers expect anyone but the most diehard otaku to purchase the complete tankobons and home video.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
I hate Evangelion too. But I think it's an important anime regardless. I think it's a must-see anime not in the sense that I like it or think it's excellent, but in the sense that it would be in the company of other must-see anime to get a picture of what the entirety of anime's artistic scope is, just as flawed films like Braveheart are important in giving you a wider perspective of the history of the American epic film.

Bass Version 2.0 said:
People say that anime is better than comics/movies/cartoons etc. but I don't think they're counting that a large majority of anime is absolute ****.
This is true.

I've never understood the tendency to celebrate one medium's output over another. Comics will always be better than film at doing certain things. Anime will always be better than comics at doing certain things. It's the nature of their differences.

But it's always so completely daft to assume that one medium's catalog is better than the others when the fact is that they will statistically have the same percent of crap as the other. I think the tendency for certain enthusiasts to champion one medium over the other has less to do with narrow-minded bias and more to do with their unconscious preference for certain medium-specific storytelling conventions that make it easier for them to embrace all kinds of comics or all kinds of anime, etc.

Favourite Anime film = Akira or Street fighter II

im glad someone mentioned Streeeeeeet Figghhtteerr!!!!
but i honestly liked Street Fighter Alpha more. the animation wasnt as good but i thought it had a much better tone. plus tons of characters in it, even guys like Sodom.

Alpha generations was terrible! though some bits were really really cool it just left me unsatisfied. i was over-hyped for its release maybe?

im glad someone mentioned Streeeeeeet Figghhtteerr!!!!
but i honestly liked Street Fighter Alpha more. the animation wasnt as good but i thought it had a much better tone. plus tons of characters in it, even guys like Sodom.

Alpha generations was terrible! though some bits were really really cool it just left me unsatisfied. i was over-hyped for its release maybe?

I agree with Alpha generations.

I loved Street Fighter Alpha but I think the first one is better as it had Ryu vs Ken and IMO a slightly more realistic (as much as possible). Alpha thou was still great loved the Akuma parts.

I think everyone can agree on this thou ALL the Street fighter anime films are better than the god awful , Let's make Ryu and Ken secondary comic relief and make guile the main character live action film. I mean Van Dam that ducked (sorry had to make that pun)

Latest posts

Back