Ourchair's Awesome Anime Thread

oooooh but we are getting a new street fighter movie............with chun li as the main character
???????
as much as i love chun li *drools* (doesnt everyone?) i wish they would have ryu take center stage like he really is supposed to.

by the way do we have a street fighter thread? i friggin love street fighter!

Last edited:
So, is anybody planning to pick up on my pimpage? :D

I don't feel motivated to promote more interesting anime at the moment because it's all Naruto/FMA/Cowboy Bebop talk right now.

In other news, I think Fullmetal Alchemist is genius. I've been really in love with this franchise for a while but don't really talk about it because it's hyped enough as it is.

But if you ask me, it's the perfect series for fans of pre-Carey Ultimate Fantastic Four and pretty much anything that involves the spirit of humanist scientific progress like Star Trek and a bunch of Warren Ellis books.

I'd elaborate on that if anyone's interested.

I agree with you. I personally would love to hear your suggestions because at some point I plan to check out a lot of anime in the future. Like I said before---I don't have a place to rent the anime to stay on top of them. I don't have a home computer at the moment so all my web time is at work. Torrent websites are blocked by our firewall.

But I am interested in hearing your suggestions because they tend to be deeper than the rabid manga fanboy suggestions. I really could care less about Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, DBZ and all the other stuff Cartoon Network plays here.

I did like Big O and wish they'd continue it. It was the one giant mech show that I could get into. I hated the Gundam series and all it's spinoffs.

I personally find you and Compound's cinematic choices to be topnotch. So if you say FMA is awesome....then I'll give a looksee.

Well I'm just not the type to go out a by something just to check it out, ....

That's my thing too. I'm not the kind to just go out and buy a DVD just because someone says it's cool.

Given that most of you people have Internet connections faster than mine (I'm on dial-up), I'm surprised not many of you are into dloading anime series off Torrents and the like. There's a good amount of fansubbed anime out there.

I'm no big fan of Naruto but I think its popularity has to be understood with some amount of perspective --- it's a long-running serial narrative packed with soap operatic character development as framed around complicated fight scenes. You know, kinda like a long-running superhero comic book.

I think the reason why the series is so polarizing is because it places a moronic hyperactive loudmouth as its protagonist, and that doesn't always sit well with some audiences because they want their characters to be immediately likeable. But Naruto is about a kid who grows through the years (I heard the creator intends to end the series when Naruto becomes Hokage) and the only way to maximize that growth is to place him in the bottom rung of maturity and wisdom --- hence the obnoxious brat hero.

The reason why Naruto can get annoying is because there's so much material that it becomes difficult to maintain the patience necessary to follow it completely. There's a lot of filler material, too, which is unsurprising given the way the series was conceived. It's part of a long tradition of pop culture where people construct long-running works designed to be fast and disposable like daytime soaps and daily comic strips. I doubt its producers expect anyone but the most diehard otaku to purchase the complete tankobons and home video.

I hate Evangelion too. But I think it's an important anime regardless. I think it's a must-see anime not in the sense that I like it or think it's excellent, but in the sense that it would be in the company of other must-see anime to get a picture of what the entirety of anime's artistic scope is, just as flawed films like Braveheart are important in giving you a wider perspective of the history of the American epic film.

This is true.

I've never understood the tendency to celebrate one medium's output over another. Comics will always be better than film at doing certain things. Anime will always be better than comics at doing certain things. It's the nature of their differences.

But it's always so completely daft to assume that one medium's catalog is better than the others when the fact is that they will statistically have the same percent of crap as the other. I think the tendency for certain enthusiasts to champion one medium over the other has less to do with narrow-minded bias and more to do with their unconscious preference for certain medium-specific storytelling conventions that make it easier for them to embrace all kinds of comics or all kinds of anime, etc.

BRILL.YANT!

The only awesome anime is a dead anime.
Oh, you pop culture xenophobe.

[IMGL]http://www.sunshinebreakdown.net/ourchair/temp/07-haibanerenmei.jpg[/IMGL] Haibane Renmei

I'm currently on the fifth episode of this anime, which is also known as Ailes Grises. It's a quietly elegant anime about a small group of people known as Haibane and the city they live in called Glie --- a seemingly self-sufficient walled community from which no one is allowed to leave --- where people are permitted a moderately happy small-town existence in spite of this 'benevolent' form of imprisonment.

Haibane are young girls who are born into this world as second-class citizens who earn their keep by doing odd jobs like baking bread and organizing books. The Haibane are born as young girls with little to no memories before breaking from a cocoon, and they sport small non-functional wings that give them a quasi-angelic appearance.

Our anchor into the series is Rakka, whose fumbling attempts to make sense of her place in this strange world allows the viewers to learn as she learns. Although the townspeople are friendly and generous to her and the other Haibane, there're strict rules to obey and harsh penalties to face for breaking them.

And there's the catch: An anime that seems to be about an ideal and perfect community in which The Haibane and the townsfolk are bound together in a harmonious symbiotic fashion, is actually a deeper meditation about loss and loneliness.

It's a slow-paced yet charismatic little piece (unlike say, the maddening Texhnolyze) that really takes its time to unravel the nature of the world to its audience, but at the same time its rife with some compelling symbolism and it delicately plays with homesy charm and deliberate obscurity to keep me watching.

The characters were designed by Yoshi-toshi ABe (whose work I might say, is worth paying good money for in coffee table book-form) from a doujinshi of his own creation. ABe is probably best known for his work on Serial Experiments Lain and NieA Under 7: Domestic Poor Animation and animated by the same studio that produced the Read or Die OVA.

------
[IMGL]http://www.sunshinebreakdown.net/ourchair/temp/07-tokko.jpg[/IMGL]
Anyway, I just realized that it might be worth a few paragraphs to mention some anime I DON'T recommend. For now, let me just say that Tokko is crap.

It's basically a completely uninteresting anime about a young police academy graduate who is assigned to a special investigative task force and meets a mysterious girl from his 'prophetic' dreams who is now a demon hunter for the public safety task force.

It's basically adolescent pabulum dressed with splatter-house horror trappings and oh yeah, pink-haired girl with big boobs. Wow, I'm impressed.

Serial Experiments Lain was awesome and freaky at the same time.

The scene that made me have chills was when the alien peeked it's head aorund the doorway and waved hello.

oooooh but we are getting a new street fighter movie............with chun li as the main character
???????
as much as i love chun li *drools* (doesnt everyone?) i wish they would have ryu take center stage like he really is supposed to.

by the way do we have a street fighter thread? i friggin love street fighter!

Agreed I love street fight best fighting game series ever! also most influenced more games than any other.

Yes Ryu is supposed the main character. Not using him as main character would be like making a superman film with lois or jimmy as main stars. We need Ryu and ken and they should have the type of relationship as the anime movies

its such a shame how they used ryu and ken in the movie. did you guys play Street Fighter: The movie, The Game? lol ryu and ken would say stuff like "Dragon!!!" and "hurricane" when they performed some of their moves. BUT did you guys also know that this game was actually meant to be Street Fighter 3? and was meant to be like the next step in fighting games at the time? crazy but true.was also supposed to feature the joke character Sheng Long.

i know we are getting some new SF manga but does anyone know of any new SF anime coming?. i hope they are not finished using alpha characters, i dont wanna see them move onto SF 3 yet. Alpha had the coolest array of characters cause almost every character in SF Alpha 3 was a gem

More Street Fighter talk? Does it never end? Get a thread, you two. :p :lol:

:lol: :lol:

All forms should turn in to street fighter. In fact this board should be re-named Ultimate Central Alpha EX 2 Turbo.

That's a cool game Mr. Freeze. I wish they made a part 3 with an *** load of characters.

its a shame we will never, well i guess i cant say never, but now that capcom lost the rights to using the marvel characters to EA (ugh) it means we will not be seeing another marvel vs capcom

I just watched the first episode of Planetes and I liked it, it was funny. But I dont think I'll download more episodes, maybe if I get board, but if it ever appears in the States I'll watch.

Latest posts

Back