Ourchair's Awesome Anime Thread

And, I actually think that both the last two episodes of the Evangelion anime and End of Evangelion sort of define the series. If they were traditionally comprehensible, it wouldn't have the same impact.

People still debate over what the ending represented nearly 15 years after the series ended. So yeah, they do define the series.

If they had managed to instill that type of interest and still have a somewhat comprehensible ending it would have been better, though. Because now we have a series that feels like its building up to something coherent and then completely lets go of all reason. It's 24,5 episodes of buildup and then the whole thing comes tumbling down. It's like the writers had no idea how to live up to the expectations they had build up to and said "F*ck it, everyone is dead. Figure it out." But the sad truth is that there is no deeper meaning behind the ending.

I have seen both RahXephon and Evangelion once. I prefer Rahxephon, but I admit that if Evangelion had a better ending it would be the superior series.

People still debate over what the ending represented nearly 15 years after the series ended. So yeah, they do define the series.

If they had managed to instill that type of interest and still have a somewhat comprehensible ending it would have been better, though. Because now we have a series that feels like its building up to something coherent and then completely lets go of all reason. It's 24,5 episodes of buildup and then the whole thing comes tumbling down. It's like the writers had no idea how to live up to the expectations they had build up to and said "F*ck it, everyone is dead. Figure it out." But the sad truth is that there is no deeper meaning behind the ending.

I have seen both RahXephon and Evangelion once. I prefer Rahxephon, but I admit that if Evangelion had a better ending it would be the superior series.

Well, the actual, literal meaning of the last two episodes of Evangelion is that their budget was so thin at that point that they couldn't actually afford to produce regular episodes. However, structuring them as taking place in Shinji's subconscious is an interesting idea, albeit one that was extremely confusing in execution. A more minor complaint is that the psychological models that Eva uses (especially in episodes 25 and 26) are out of date. It seems like the writers/animators only understood the function of the mind in Freudian terms. However, ultimately, this doesn't really matter. I've met a lot of people who hate (or just get frustrated with) Evangelion because of the ending, and if it ruined the series for you...I can't really blame you. The 'Death and Rebirth' and 'End of Evangelion' movies shed light on what was literally happening outside of Shinji's mind, though a lot of it is equally depressing and seemingly pointless.

One of my friends has been going back and watching tons of old Mecha anime, though, and the first thing he said to me was "You know, this really puts how good Evangelion actually is into perspective." and I think that a contextual understanding aids your enjoyment of Eva. RahXephon doesn't have these constraints, so it'll probably never be considered a 'classic' in the same way, but I really do like it. And I understand why you prefer it to Evangelion...I may mostly agree by the end.

Well, the actual, literal meaning of the last two episodes of Evangelion is that their budget was so thin at that point that they couldn't actually afford to produce regular episodes. However, structuring them as taking place in Shinji's subconscious is an interesting idea, albeit one that was extremely confusing in execution. A more minor complaint is that the psychological models that Eva uses (especially in episodes 25 and 26) are out of date. It seems like the writers/animators only understood the function of the mind in Freudian terms. However, ultimately, this doesn't really matter. I've met a lot of people who hate (or just get frustrated with) Evangelion because of the ending, and if it ruined the series for you...I can't really blame you. The 'Death and Rebirth' and 'End of Evangelion' movies shed light on what was literally happening outside of Shinji's mind, though a lot of it is equally depressing and seemingly pointless.

One of my friends has been going back and watching tons of old Mecha anime, though, and the first thing he said to me was "You know, this really puts how good Evangelion actually is into perspective." and I think that a contextual understanding aids your enjoyment of Eva. RahXephon doesn't have these constraints, so it'll probably never be considered a 'classic' in the same way, but I really do like it. And I understand why you prefer it to Evangelion...I may mostly agree by the end.

I propose we end our discussion for now, because I dont want to give to much away. I'm really curious what you think about RahXephon when you've seen it all.

Just watched Heroman. It was okay for a first episode. Taking place in america but everyone speaking japanese is distracting, though. I've never said this before in my life but..... I might wait on the dubs for this one.

Just watched Heroman. It was okay for a first episode. Taking place in america but everyone speaking japanese is distracting, though. I've never said this before in my life but..... I might wait on the dubs for this one.

It was really surreal, I'm incredibly interested to see how well this show will do in Japan. The kid is basically Peter Parker sans spider powers.

Having watched LOTS and LOTS of Anime of the last year very few have sucked me in so much as Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple or also known as History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi for the manga.

I couldn't get enough of it, its real and unreal at the same time, shows you the failures of training as well as the results. what I love the most about this show is that you wont win every battle, there are some you will lose. I love the support cast for Kenichi you get to see there progression as well as Kenichi and it leads to some cool battles. APA!!! :)

If you have not tried to watch Kenichi at least give it a shot, you'll be hocked.

Last edited:
I finished RahXephon the other week. There are a few plot holes that bugged me, but I was overall quite happy with the ending. Kamina was a fairly inconsistent character, but he's much more watchable than, say, Shinji. It's easy to see where the Evangelion comparisons come from and why some people (robje, this is you) think RahXephon is superior, but I'll probably always prefer Eva. For a few different reasons, really, chiefly being it's contexual significance of revitalizing the mecha genre.

I'm up to date on Durarara!! as of a few days ago, as well. It's really fun, though, it isn't much else.

I can't watch anime anymore

The last anime to spike any sort of interest was the one that Iceshadow suggested awhile back. I can't even remember the name.

Ah yes, Bounen No Xamdou

It's pretty slim picken's this season, I guess Angel Beats! is the most interesting thing I've seen so far, but we'll see how long the show can keep the premise interesting.

I finished RahXephon the other week. There are a few plot holes that bugged me, but I was overall quite happy with the ending. Kamina was a fairly inconsistent character, but he's much more watchable than, say, Shinji. It's easy to see where the Evangelion comparisons come from and why some people (robje, this is you) think RahXephon is superior, but I'll probably always prefer Eva. For a few different reasons, really, chiefly being it's contexual significance of revitalizing the mecha genre.

Oddly enough RahXephon and Evangelion are the only mecha anime I've found interesting. I did try Gundam and Patlabor but they werent for me. My main love for RahX and Eva comes from their heavy use of symbolism, even if it doesnt have a deeper meaning. In it's use of symbols Eva is clearly the superior series. As I've stated before my main issue with evangelion stems from its ridiculous ending. Both series have some plotholes, but evangelion ends in one. Which is something I just can't ignore. Still, like you said, I can also see why people might find Evangelion the superior series and i guess that in the end we'll all have to agree to disagree. =D

Finished Soul Eater. It was a fun little series. The animation style felt really refreshing. It ended somewhat suddenly though.

Rewatching Mushishi. Every episode feels like a lazy summerday. I love it.

I watched Rainbow the other night, it's about a group of post WWII Japanese youths that get sent to juvie, and subsequently try to escape. The first episode was pretty good so I'll probably follow this series.

Finished Soul Eater. It was a fun little series. The animation style felt really refreshing. It ended somewhat suddenly though.

Rewatching Mushishi. Every episode feels like a lazy summerday. I love it.

I absolutely adore Mushishi. The manga is probably even more contingent with the "lazy summerday" aesthetic you mention.

The anime had to create their own ending when the caught up to the manga. It's the second time Bones has done that, the first being the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime.

I absolutely adore Mushishi. The manga is probably even more contingent with the "lazy summerday" aesthetic you mention.

I'll give it a try then!

The anime had to create their own ending when the caught up to the manga. It's the second time Bones has done that, the first being the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime.

And they both left me thinking; "wait... what?"
But it's still better than the pointless filler some anime use when they catch up to the manga. I'm looking at you Naruto, Bleach and One Piece!!

Does anyone know which anime films would be considered the best or the essential ones to watch? From compiling several lists, I've came up with the following nine in no specific order:

Spirited Away
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Princess Mononoke
Blood: The Last Vampire
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbour Totoro

Is this accurate? What should be there? What shouldn't be there?

Latest posts

Back