Ourchair's Awesome Anime Thread

Does anyone know which anime films would be considered the best or the essential ones to watch? From compiling several lists, I've came up with the following nine in no specific order:

Spirited Away
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Princess Mononoke
Blood: The Last Vampire
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbour Totoro

Is this accurate? What should be there? What shouldn't be there?

I wouldn't really call Miyazaki "essential". He's important in that he's popular, but most of his films essentially equate to the same, fairly standard environmentalist/anti-war theme superimposed on different storylines, even if it doesn't belong (I'm looking at you, Howl's Moving Castle). Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro are all certainly enjoyable films, however.

I'd cross off "Blood - The Last Vampire". I haven't watched the whole thing, but unless it specifically appeals to you in some way or another, it's hardly a "classic" or must-watch. Pretty animation and lots of cool, stylized violence, but it's hardly a revelatory film. Of course, it's pretty short (if I recall), so it's probably *worth* watching if you have access to it. Ninja Scroll is similarly "meh". Fun movie, but undeserving of its reputation as a cinematic masterpiece.

Akira, Ghost In The Shell (in almost any iteration, specifically Stand Alone Complex) and Grave Of The Fireflies are all solid picks. I haven't seen Perfect Blue yet, but I've heard good things.

Maybe I'll put together a list of what I consider to be "essential viewing" sometime later, but I am currently running short on time.

I'm seconding crossing off Blood. Sure, it's well known, but it isn't very good.
If you are gonna watch a miyazaki movie, I recommend The Castle of Cagliostro.
**** it, I'm gonna beat Gideon to the punch by making a recommended viewing list first (But I still wanna see yours Gideon!).

Recommended viewing:

Akira
Universally accepted as a must watch anime. The story suffers from to many subplots and leaves alot unexplained, but f*ck, this movie is awsome. The action is spectacular, the animation is brilliant and the ending is so batsh*t insane you'll keep rewatching it.

Ghost in the Shell
Another movie you need to see. The Story is great and the animation is top notch. There is a reason the Wachowski brothers stole all the best scenes from this movie and put them in the Matrix. It's because it's that awsome. The second movie is pretty good as well and the tv-series that is based on this movie is also highly recommended.

Ghibli
Most of them are awesome. Personal favorites: My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle. I recommend starting with one of the newer ones and working your way back. Steer clear of Tales of the Earthsea. That one was awful.

Grave of the Fireflies
Yes, I know this one is Ghibli as well. Sue me. It just doesn't fit with the rest of them and everyone should see it. It's one of the most powerfull anti-war movies ever made. Bring tissues.

The Castle of Cagliostro
Brilliant, actionpacked ode to the 80s adventure movie. Car chases, rooftop getaways, a damsel in distress and a clocktower fightscene, this movie has it all. Steven Spielberg has been fighting over the rights to remake this movie for years. And with good reason! It's awsome.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
The animation is beautiful and the story is nice. But the thing that makes this movie great is the character designs. They're insane! Mix that with the awsome animation and you have winning movie!

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Go watch the Cowboy Bebop television series. That was awesome, right?! Now go watch this movie!!! OMG!!! Yes!!

Tokyo Godfathers
In essence a christmas movie, but it can be watched year round. A sweet little movie about three homeless people (a runaway, a drunk and a transvestite) who find a baby in a trashcan. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
robje's list is excellent and includes a lot of what I would have put on my own. I have a few additions, however;

Millennium Actress
Another Satoshi Kon film, complimentary to Tokyo Godfathers, which robje mentions. It's a very postmodern "play within a play" (although, technically, a film in this particular case) and, as such, a bit too cerebral for some. On the other hand, it's a deep, wonderful film with spectacular animation and a Satoshi Kon's characteristic visual style (which I think is universally adored). Watch Tokyo Godfathers first, and if you like it, give this one a go.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion"
Of course, the Eva movies. It had to be said. Chances are, you've already watched them in tandem with the series, but if you haven't, it is the definition of "required viewing". In fact, chances are even greater that you won't like them. Not in their entirety, anyway. But it's a seminal series that changed the way anime was broadcasted, and everyone with an interest in the medium should watch it at least once, and the films are a part of the experience.

Genius Party
So, it's technically an anthology of films, but they're all individually brilliant (for reasons that I won't get into for posterity's sake). It's sincerely underappreciated, so I'm always tempted to pimp it when I'm given the chance to make these sorts of lists. And, I mean, Wantanabe (The Cowboy Bebop guy!) directed one of them, and, come on, you're going to want to see that.

I'd especially recommend Akira, Ghost In The Shell and Grave of the Fireflies, also. Most of the Ghibli films, too, though I'm a bit more cynical about them than most of the general anime viewing populace; Cagliostro is as good as robje suggests, but I'm a little tired of Miyazaki's ardent environmentalism in his other films. Also, while not necessarily "essential" viewing, I'd also recommend Sword of the Stranger, Macross Plus and the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's, which are all at the very least enjoyable in their own right.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. From all three lists, here is what I haven't seen:

Ghost in the Shell (I think I even have a copy of this somewhere)
Blood: The Last Vampire (It sounds like it isn't essential but I want to see it)
Kiki's Delivery Service (I've liked all of the Miyazaki I've seen so far)
The Castle of Cagliostro (This sounds awesome)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (I think I saw this on some of the lists)
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (I need to finish the series)
Millenium Actress (Really liked Perfect Blue, thought Tokyo Godfathers was okay, couldn't get into Paprika... we'll see about this one)
Genius Party (Anthology!)
Sword of the Stranger (Assassin!)
Macross Plus (I've never seen any of the Macross stuff before)
Rurouni Kenshin (Assassin!)

Just a few more notes..

I'm not a fan of the Kenshin manga and anime, but the OVA's are actually really, really good and, I think, work better as a self contained narrative than their source material, which is a fairly standard shonen action/adventure series. The characters are a little stiff (not to mention morbid and arguably nihilistic and tragic in their presentation), but it is entertaining none the less. Be prepared to cry, though. This is a sad one.

Sword of the Stranger has the best choreographed/stylized fight sequences I've ever seen animated. The main cast is surprisingly fleshed out, as well, for what's otherwise a by-the-numbers Samurai movie. It pays homage to the genre, though, and includes a straight-faced and unashamed rendition of the medium's common tropes, which I sort of appreciate. The animation is by Studio Bones, which lends it instant credibility, and it has a really awesome soundtrack. It really is an under-appreciated gem.

Macross Plus has space ships in it.

Your original list is a pretty good start. I agree Wadillion that Sword of the Stranger and Samurai X (Kenshin) are essentials and I agree with robje that Cagliostro and Cowboy Bebop are musts if you're familiar with the characters and great movies on their own. But I must stand in defense of Blood: TLV. It won't rock your world, but it is a very solid movie with some great animation.

I'd add Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. The original Evangelion crew is reimagining the original series in 4 movies and the first one was fantastic. Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance should be out soon. Actually, it may already be out. I'll need to check on that.

Lastly, I've heard some good things about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I've been meaning to check it out and I may add it to my Movie Club list.

Last edited:
I have watched the first Evangelion remake and thought it was pretty good. I think I'll wait until they're all out and watch them all at once.

I too have heard good things about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

And yes, everyone feel free to add anime to your Movie Club list. I did!

Your original list is a pretty good start. I agree Wadillion that Sword of the Stranger and Samurai X (Kenshin) are essentials and I agree with robje that Cagliostro and Cowboy Bebop are musts if you're familiar with the characters and great movies on their own. But I must stand in defense of Blood: TLV. It won't rock your world, but it is a very solid movie with some great animation.

I'd add Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. The original Evangelion crew is reimagining the original series in 4 movies and the first one was fantastic. Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance should be out soon. Actually, it may already be out. I'll need to check on that.

Lastly, I've heard some good things about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I've been meaning to check it out and I may add it to my Movie Club list.

I enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and still need to watch the Evangelion remake. Sword of the Stranger was super badass though, for my anime movie recommendation...from what I saw Tekkon Kinkreet was pretty good, if kind of weird.

I'm downloading Xam'd: Lost Memories and Blood+, but am not overly optimistic about either. I have a lot of trouble enjoying typical action series if there's nothing particularly inventive or intelligent. I basically have all week off and would like to get into a new series, but I'm having trouble finding something interesting.

My favorite series are Serial Experiments Lain, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Texhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Death Note, Last Exile, Monster, and Captain Harlock in an ironic, retrospective sort of way. Can anyone think of anything along those lines?

Recommendations? I will also settle for anything with aristocrats in fancy outfits.

Recommendations? I will also settle for anything with aristocrats in fancy outfits.

Aristocrats in fancy outfits? Try Gankutsuou. It's a sci-fi retelling of the classic Count of Monte Cristo. The art style is pretty trippy, which might or might not be your cup of tea. I found it absolutely wonderfull.

Based on your favorites I'd also suggest
Haibane Renmei
Witch Hunter Robin

Also, if you don't mind branching off into fantasy:
12 kingdoms

Have you watched Fullmetal Alchemist or Big O?

Funny, I was just watching the finale of Big O yesterday. It's quite a good show I just wished it got that finale season to explain what the **** is going on. But it is one of those shows you can really get wrapped up in trying to solve the mythology.

Aristocrats in fancy outfits? Try Gankutsuou. It's a sci-fi retelling of the classic Count of Monte Cristo. The art style is pretty trippy, which might or might not be your cup of tea. I found it absolutely wonderfull.

Based on your favorites I'd also suggest
Haibane Renmei
Witch Hunter Robin

Also, if you don't mind branching off into fantasy:
12 kingdoms

Gankutsuou looks really, really cool. Visually, at least. I'll definitely give it a whirl. I've actually seen Witch Hunter Robin and Haibane Renmei, and I thoroughly enjoyed both (although, I preferred the latter). What can you tell me about 12 Kingdoms? I'm not at all familiar with it.

Have you watched Fullmetal Alchemist or Big O?

I'm actually not as enthralled with FMA as the rest of the anime watching community seems to be; I mean, it's certainly not bad, but I think it has serious pacing problems. They're mostly glazed over by the inventive backdrop and entertaining characters, but it did sort of bug me. I love Big O. I really, really love Big O. It manages to juxtapose actual intelligence with character archetypes I am enthusiastic about (i.e. Batman) in a way that is doubly entertaining.

Gankutsuou looks really, really cool. Visually, at least. I'll definitely give it a whirl. I've actually seen Witch Hunter Robin and Haibane Renmei, and I thoroughly enjoyed both (although, I preferred the latter). What can you tell me about 12 Kingdoms? I'm not at all familiar with it.

Man, it's been a while since I've seen it! It's also known as Juuni Kokki. It starts out as a simple "girl whisked away to magical land" kind of story, but it quickly moves away from her. The fantasy world it is set in is heavyly influenced by classical china, which is nice. 12 kingdoms, 12 kings, 12 mythical beings (called Kirin). The Kirin picks the king. If the leader and Kirin don't get along the land withers. As the series continues you get to know more of the kings and kirin and their dynamic.
The real showstealer is the setting. The fantasy world feels very real and believable. I liked it.

Xam'd: Lost Memories is actually not the worst thing I've ever seen. It's a little derivative, but the animation is enough to keep me interested. I'd definitely recommend it.

And I've seen Code Geass. I kept watching all the way through mostly because it had the best aristocrats in fancy outfits.

This movie looks incredibly fun:

[video=youtube;SAZSF7LPo_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAZSF7LPo_8&feature=related[/video]

Latest posts

Back