Ourchair's Awesome Anime Thread

Psssh, I never liked FullMetal Alchemist. Ive been re-watching Yu Yu Hakusho from the beginning the last few days, its much better.

There's a blast from the past, it kinda pissed me off that they never showed the end of it, at least they didn't to my knowledge.

Are you talking about when it was on Adult Swim with that split personality guy? Apparently they moved the new ones to like 5 AM for a while. I personally didnt like the ending

No it's not. But Yu Yu Hakusho is still pretty damn good.

Yu Yu Hakusho had the best ending song in it's first season. I loved that show.

Are you talking about when it was on Adult Swim with that split personality guy? Apparently they moved the new ones to like 5 AM for a while. I personally didnt like the ending

The ending to the Spirit detective arc? It was weird, but it sets up the final season.

Which is another huge tournament.

Actually, in that last season, even with the tournament, it never did become like Dragon Ball Z.
People shouldn't say declare that show ended up "becoming Dragon Ball Z" so lightly. Few anime series are as bad as that franchise. To be as bad as Dragon Ball Z, an anime series has to be TRYING.

As far as I know, it's not even regarded very well in Japan.

People shouldn't say declare that show ended up "becoming Dragon Ball Z" so lightly. Few anime series are as bad as that franchise. To be as bad as Dragon Ball Z, an anime series has to be TRYING.

Don't let SSJmole hear you say that.

Actually, in that last season, even with the tournament, it never did become like Dragon Ball Z.

The fights weren't the main focus of the story, it was the characters evolving emotionally.

I never saw the tournament, I lost interest and just watched the last episode. But what I always liked about the fights were that they were more gritty than flyhing around shooting crazy energy. That last fight with the detective guy pissed me off cause it was building up pretty good and was a let down how they ended it.

DBZ is horrible. Sometimes the animation was top-notch (in an over-the-top kinda way)....sometimes it was garbage.

We have a group of characters who are all so skilled at fighting that they literally can focus their energy into a ball that could blow a hole in a planet. And the fights. Oh the long dragged out into oblivion fights.

Any show that can drag a 3 minute portion of a fight out for 12 episodes literally has no plot and doesn't deserve to be on the air.

No emotional development. Just fighting. And trash talking. And there was ALWAYS someone more powerful. Why fear Sayains when there's an androdgenous alien named Frieza to fear. Why fear Frieza...supposedly the most powerful being in the universe if he's got an even bigger and badder family? Why fear them if we should be worrying about evolving androids. Androids? Don't worry about them---worry about the bubble gum monster. It's ridiculous.

There are a few episodes I found entertaining and a couple fights that made me say "whoa" or "damn"......but overall. Ugh.

DBZ is horrible. Sometimes the animation was top-notch (in an over-the-top kinda way)....sometimes it was garbage.

We have a group of characters who are all so skilled at fighting that they literally can focus their energy into a ball that could blow a hole in a planet. And the fights. Oh the long dragged out into oblivion fights.

Any show that can drag a 3 minute portion of a fight out for 12 episodes literally has no plot and doesn't deserve to be on the air.

No emotional development. Just fighting. And trash talking. And there was ALWAYS someone more powerful. Why fear Sayains when there's an androdgenous alien named Frieza to fear. Why fear Frieza...supposedly the most powerful being in the universe if he's got an even bigger and badder family? Why fear them if we should be worrying about evolving androids. Androids? Don't worry about them---worry about the bubble gum monster. It's ridiculous.

There are a few episodes I found entertaining and a couple fights that made me say "whoa" or "damn"......but overall. Ugh.

Dragonball Z was not as bad you make you. Yes the fights dragged on but If you didn't like that element then watch the movies or GT.

Dragonball Z had some great stories and characters. You say there is always someone more powerful same with comics. They need bigger threats all the time or it wouldn't work.

Now I will admit the Garlic Jr saga sucked. But each saga is about something different than the "big fights"

Saiyan saga - Was about self discovery , Goku finds out he's an Alien and that his race is pure evil. He loks at his brother and see's what he could of become.

As well as that Piccolo learns that he has good inside thanks to training Gohan and makes the ultimate sacrifice for Gohan.

Frieza Saga - Is about showing what the underdog can do. A saiyan no one thought would amount to anything rises up to avenge the death and destruction of his people and becomes a super saiyan something that no one would of expected of him.

We also discover where Piccolo came from and more about the dragonballs. We see the start of Vegeta actually helping the good guys. When Vegeta dies and cries saying about how he grew up we get a true sense of he wants to be like Goku. He wants to be a hero but he never knew any better and was robbed of everything like friends , family and a childhood as his father and Frieza pushed him to be the best.

Android / cell - We get a sense of "the future is not written" by the fact they beat cell. Gohan rises up to prove that he could take over from his father. We see Vegeta and bulma starting to love each other

plus people say one man can not make a difference but Trunks did by coming from the future to set the wrong things right. this saga was aboutyou can do anything if you put your mind to it.

by that I mean Vegeta becomes SSJ something he has always wanted. Piccolo puts aside his differences with Kami tobecome strong enough to hold off cell in first form.

We also learn that pride and arrogance can be your downfall even if your the strongest when vegeta allows cell to absorb 18

Buu - This one was weaker than others but only because the person who created it wanted it to end at cell but was forced to do more. But there are great story lines in this too

What if you stopped hating? Vegeta stopped his hatred of goku and together they did amazing things. This saga was mostly about coming full circle though. All bulma wanted at start of Dragonball was someone who would love her and in this we see that vegeta does just that and that love leads to him making one huge sacrifice to try and stop Buu

Also we learn if everyone helps stop the evil in the world in can be a better place when everyone helps with the spirit bomb.

So to sum up YES there are big drawn out fights but they are put together by this big religious feeling epic story the likes of which may never be topped. If you look at dragonball Z and only see the fights then I feel sorry for you because you miss things like Goku came from above to say us very Jesus-like. You miss the whole redemption is possible but only if you want it enough. you mis the love , you mis the mixture of eastern and western themes combining which most of the time does not work. But on dragonball z it works.

I really like the Dragonball Z manga. It has the best fight scenes I've ever read in comics. I haven't watched the anime though.

Yes the manga is fantastic for reasons the show is plus does not have the filler stuff that was bad as well as that in manga kid buu is weaker than super Buu which means if you take away someones good side (good buu) they become weaker for it. But same if you take away the evil inside you need balance in all things.

In anime Kid Buu is stronger so it loses that element.

Latest posts

Back