Pirates Of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest?

• Total voters
Re: Pirates Of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

That was fun.

Pretty much what I expected to see, like a good ol recipe. Predictible but you get what you paid for ; Captain Jack Sparrow!

Some scenes fell flat but there is plenty of good old fashioned comedy. I play a lot of Role Playing Games and I gotta say a large part of the charm of the movie is the wackiness of the situation. Wished the D&D movie was half of what the Pirates movie are.

Even Bloom is ever so less plain and boring than in the first.

Now of course Keira Knightley has picked up some combat moves. IMO the Grrl power has been a blight on action movies. Since The Matrix every 100 pound girl out there can kick ***. But hey, you have to learn to love with it. Target audience and all that. As long as we have Captain Jack Sparrow's antics, I'm happy.

I give this movie 3/5 stars out of five, but 4.5 popcorn points out of 5. A real summer movie.

Last edited:

Loved it. Actually thought it was better than the first one. The ending was wicked
the shot of Jack getting swallowed by the Kraken was fantastic, loved seeing Barbarossa come back, and Elizibeth cuffing Jack to the doomed Pearl was very unexpected.
Plus the whole part on the island, with the water wheel, and the 3 way sword fight, and the two prison balls climbing up the side of the cliff was awesome!

4.5/5

4/5

I reckon "Deadman's Chest" was better than the "Black Pearl". There was tons of action - so much so that the time, a tiring 2 1/2 hour movie, seemed to fly by. The final battle between Norrington, Sparrow, and Will Turner was actually one of the best fights I have seen in a long time... Also, the characterization was spot on. Will Turner was able to stand on his own, despite his undying love for Elizabeth, who, surprisingly took on new life as she fought between a lifestyle and freedom. Unsurprisingly, Jack Sparrow stood out and stole all of the scenes he was included in. I did like the fact that they did not outplay him enough to turn him into a gimmick... It shocked me to see what happened to him at the end. Finally, the ending was certainly a gem. It had you - at those last moments, you were actually sitting on the edge of your seat. Brilliant. I am actually in awe of how much I enjoyed this movie. For all of the lame movies that have been released lately - "Pirates 2" revived the box office for me.

The only thing stopping this movie from getting a "5" was the ending. I did like the ending very much... HOWEVER, I would have liked it better had it been a movie that stood on its own. Unlike the "Black Pearl", where the movie could've survived without either of the two movies that follow, "Deadman's Chest" has to rely on the other installment. Bummer. Kind of.

Goodwill said:
The only thing stopping this movie from getting a "5" was the ending. I did like the ending very much... HOWEVER, I would have liked it better had it been a movie that stood on its own. Unlike the "Black Pearl", where the movie could've survived without either of the two movies that follow, "Deadman's Chest" has to rely on the other installment. Bummer. Kind of.

I disagree. The movie was a sequel.

That, and my jaw hit the floor during the last scene. I thoguht that scene clinched the awesome that was Dead Man's Chest.

Lynx said:
I disagree. The movie was a sequel.

That, and my jaw hit the floor during the last scene. I thoguht that scene clinched the awesome that was Dead Man's Chest.

Agreed on both.

I'm actually glad it ended the way it did. It's too awesome a story to be over in just one installment, and the cliffhanger ending's event was done in a shocking and pleasing enough way to make it well worth it.

Planet-man said:
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
Lessthan_Greaterthan_symbol.gif
Superman Returns.
:roll:

moonmaster said:

I go to a theater to be entertained. . .not watch a romance novel with a guy who just happens to fly.

Lynx said:
I go to a theater to be entertained. . .not watch a romance novel with a guy who just happens to fly.
I don't consider totally pointless and easily forgettable summer movie trash entertaining.

What a sweet movie. I definitely liked this one better than "The Curse of the Black Pearl." The only problem was that it was sometimes hard to hear what the people were saying and so sometimes I just had to watch what was going on to figure it out. Accents + Loud Sound Effects + Busy Scenes and A Plot That's All Over The Place = What's going on again?

Geoffery Rush kicks ***. I can not believe he didn't die. I hope he's front and center for at least forty minutes in "At Worlds End."

8.5/10

"Pirates" just broke every Box Office Record!!!

"Revenge of the Sith" held the record for both Best Opening Day and Best Day with $50 million.

"Pirates" made $55 million!

"Spider-Man" had the Best Opening Weekend (Fri.-Sun.) with about $115 million.

"Pirates" could make up to as much as $140 million this weekend!!!! (Although I'm going to guess around $127 million.)

Hey, did anyone else stay for the credits to see what happened to one of the series' most beloved characters? It was so great. (Hint: He was featured in the original Disney World ride, and he's furry.) :D

ultimatedjf said:
"Pirates" just broke every Box Office Record!!!

"Revenge of the Sith" held the record for both Best Opening Day and Best Day with $50 million.

"Pirates" made $55 million!

"Spider-Man" had the Best Opening Weekend (Fri.-Sun.) with about $115 million.

"Pirates" could make up to as much as $140 million this weekend!!!! (Although I'm going to guess around $127 million.)
That is awesome! :D

moonmaster said:
I don't consider totally pointless and easily forgettable summer movie trash entertaining.

As opposed to Superman Returns, a life changing metaphysical experience on film?

:roll:

Last edited:

So I just saw this.....not really impressed. Didn't like the first one....the second wasn't any better.

Johnny Depp as Sparrow is funny and entertaining.....but just not enough for me to like the movie.

Oh well....at least the free pass allowed me to not feel as if my money was wasted.

moonmaster said:
Curious- how is this totally pointless?

And easily forgetablle movie trash? Hmm. The money it's made sure speak otherwise. I would even say this would maybe end up making more than Supes the way both are going right now.

Ice said:
Curious- how is this totally pointless?

And easily forgetablle movie trash? Hmm. The money it's made sure speak otherwise. I would even say this would maybe end up making more than Supes the way both are going right now.
I can't see how I wouldn't find this forgettable.

I saw the first one. I remember the fact that I saw it.

I remember absolutely nothing about it. Honestly. I couldn't remember a single plot point or the names of any characters. I've seen very few films that are that forgettable.
E.Vi.L said:
As opposed to Superman Returns, a life changing metaphysical experience on film?
Yes, of course.

I just went and saw this.
Easily the best film I've seen this year, though not by any means perfect.
I disliked nearly the entire first act. It took an hour to get to Davy Jones and his crew, who were by far the highlight of the picture for me.
I wish they hadn't made this half a film- so much uselessness could've been cut out. Maybe I'm just worried that Davy Jones will get shafted in the next two hours of Pirate mayhem.

I loved the return of Norrington, the death of Jack, the Kraken.

And did anyone see the script review of Pirates 3? Sounds quite interesting, here is an
EXTREME SPOILER SNIPPET
Eventually the story builds to the gathering of a pirate armada, which will battle the armada of the Dutch East India Company, and the summoning of Calypso, the Goddess of the Seas. Along the way some characters from the first film will die, get married and others will become immortal.

Sounds great.

Ice said:
I would even say this would maybe end up making more than Supes the way both are going right now.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=open&p=nocache.htm

Pirates 2 = Number 1 Opening Day of all time AND best single day of all time.

Superman Returns = Number 53 Opening Dar of all time and number 178th best single day of all time.

I say: Let the money do the talking.

Lynx said:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=open&p=nocache.htm

Pirates 2 = Number 1 Opening Day of all time AND best single day of all time.

Superman Returns = Number 53 Opening Dar of all time and number 178th best single day of all time.

I say: Let the money do the talking.
And I say: Box office is nowhere near as important as quality.

Now I'd rather not become a complete ******* to those of you who enjoyed this movie so I'm not going to bother argueing about it. And with that, I'm gone.

moonmaster said:
I remember absolutely nothing about it. Honestly. I couldn't remember a single plot point or the names of any characters. I've seen very few films that are that forgettable.

If so, you are a very special case.

But I suspect you are grossly exagerating to make a point. You didn't like it, I get it. But to pretend you couldn't a single plot point or character...

Yeah right.

Regis : Welcome back to "Who wants to be a millionaire." You will remember from our last show that Moomaster has done exceptionnally well. He has used all of his lifeline but he is now one question away from a million dollar!
*crowd cheers*
Mooney : Hello Regis.
Regis : So, I hear you would say anything to make a point.
Mooney : I sure would.
Regis : I hope this stuborn determination to defend the honor of Superman Returns serves you well. Now here is your final question :

Who is the Captain of the Black Pearl?

A : Captain Crunch
B : Captain America
C : Captain Jack Sparrow
D : Blackbeard

Moonmaster : The what?!

E.Vi.L. said:
If so, you are a very special case.

But I suspect you are grossly exagerating to make a point. You didn't like it, I get it. But to pretend you couldn't a single plot point or character...

Yeah right.

Regis : Welcome back to "Who wants to be a millionaire." You will remember from our last show that Moomaster has done exceptionnally well. He has used all of his lifeline but he is now one question away from a million dollar!
*crowd cheers*
Mooney : Hello Regis.
Regis : So, I hear you would say anything to make a point.
Mooney : I sure would.
Regis : I hope this stuborn determination to defend the honor of Superman Returns serves you well. Now here is your final question :

Who is the Captain of the Black Pearl?

A : Captain Crunch
B : Captain America
C : Captain Jack Sparrow
D : Blackbeard

Moonmaster : The what?!
:lol:

I so call this POTD runner up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back