Pirates Of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest?

• Total voters
Re: Pirates Of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

E.Vi.L. said:
If so, you are a very special case.

But I suspect you are grossly exagerating to make a point. You didn't like it, I get it. But to pretend you couldn't a single plot point or character...

Yeah right.

Regis : Welcome back to "Who wants to be a millionaire." You will remember from our last show that Moomaster has done exceptionnally well. He has used all of his lifeline but he is now one question away from a million dollar!
*crowd cheers*
Mooney : Hello Regis.
Regis : So, I hear you would say anything to make a point.
Mooney : I sure would.
Regis : I hope this stuborn determination to defend the honor of Superman Returns serves you well. Now here is your final question :

Who is the Captain of the Black Pearl?

A : Captain Crunch
B : Captain America
C : Captain Jack Sparrow
D : Blackbeard

Moonmaster : The what?!
Jack Sparrow may be one of the few names I remember. The rest of the movie is a blur. All I can remember is Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly annoying the hell out of me and a ton of skeletal pirate/ghost people.

Ice said:
:lol:

I so call this POTD runner up.

Oh, I see. What pleases the crowd is Family Guy style skit. Duly noted.

And thank you.

*takes a bow*

saw it a second time tonight. And BOY did it make a ****load of more sense the second time around.

Brief movie synopsis, now that i get it:

The wedding between Will & Elizabeth is cut short by Lord Beckett, who seems to be a head honcho of the East India Trading Co. History ppl. know that the india trading companies were big **** back in the day. So anyways, he says that Will and Elizabeth and Norrington (who resigned and left a while ago, we are told) are sentenced to death for aiding in the escape of a fugitive. Soon, Beckett calls in Will and tells him he can grant pardon for elizabeth if he gets Jack back to Port Royal (where they are) and he can get Jack's compass (which shows exactly what the holder wants). He wants the compass to find Davy Jones's chest so he can use it as leverage against him and gain control of the seas for the EITC. Jack in turn will be made an employee of the EITC. Will agrees and goes to find Jack.

In the meantime, Jack has found a picture of a key, the key that will open Davy Jones's chest, which holds his heart; he who controls the chest controls Davy Jones. Jack needs some leverage against Davy Jones because he made a deal with Jones to be captain of the black pearl for 13 years in trade for the remainder of his lifes' service to Jones. So Jack is going to go look for the key and chest when late one night, Bootstrap Bill Turner (Will's dad) comes and tells him his 13 years are up (apparently, calling yourself a captain when you've been mutinized still counts as captainship) and Davy Jones is sending the Kraken (a sea monster) to get him so he can pay his dues. He gives Jack the black spot (I laughed at this because I remember Muppet Treasure Island lol). So Jack lands on an island to get away from the sea monster.

In the meantime again, Elizabeth gets out of jail again, gets will's name added to the list and sets out to find Will and Jack. She ends up in tortuga later.

Meanwhile, Will gets onto the island where Jack is on (and in reality, the island has no purpose aside from a meeting place, but its all good fun). The island is a cannibal island, so they escape. Jack tells Will that he will give up the compass if Will gets the key. They head for a witch's hutt then, who tells them where to find davy jones, so Will can get the key. They find Davy Jones, and Jack strikes a deal with him for 100 souls, including Will's in trade for his own. Selfish Jack. Davy gives him 3 days, so Jack heads to tortuga.

Will is reunited on Davy's ship, the flying dutchman, with his father; they both play a betting game against davy, each betting an eternity of servitude against Davy's key, which he holds with him. Bootstrap bill bluffs and loses (the game is like BS, the cardgame, but with Dice), he does so to save Will, and so Will promises to find a way to free his father from servitude. He also gets the key from Davy while he sleeps and escapes, only to have the ship he finds sunk by the kraken, so he hides back on the dutchman.

Meanwhile, Jack has gone to tortuga to elect helpless souls for his 100 soul debt. One of which turns out to be norrington! The Elizabeth joins up with them. Jack, still looking for the key and up to this point having trouble with his compass because he doesnt know what he wants (the compass points you in the direction of what you want), tells Elizabeth that the possession of the chest will get her Will back, so he gives her the compass and they are off to find Will.

Eventually, (and after they establish that Elizabeth has the hots for Jack) they all get to the island where they find the chest. Will arrives there too. Will wants to stab the heart, effectively killing Jones, to free his father; Norrington wants to return the chest to Beckett to regain his position; and Jack wants to use it as leverage so that Jones doesnt use the kraken against him and so that Jones doesnt die, setting the kraken free. Jones heart was cut out by himself by the way. Anywho, the three men get in a fight, and Jones sends his men after the chest, and there is also a chase scene. Eventually, through much mumbojumbo (enjoyable though it is), Norrington gets the heart, Jack thinks he has the heart but finds he doesnt, Norrington runs away, Jack tries to sail away with everyone else, and the kraken comes after them. Eventually, they all bail, but Elizabeth starts the makey outey with Jack and ties him to the ship because the kraken is only after Jack. The rest escape, but Jack is able to wriggle free of his holdings only when the kraken arrives; he dives into the krakens mouth with sword drawn and the black pearl is taken down.

Norrington delivers the heart to Beckett, the rest go to the witch again, who says that if they want jack and the black pearl back, they will need to sail to the ends of the earth (america??) with an experienced captain. Enter Captain Barbosa (Geoffrey Rush), who "died" in the last film (his boots can actually be seen earlier this film which i didnt notice the first time i saw it, but which indicates the witch was nursing him back to life)! And so it is set up for another sequel

MUCH better the second time around.

I saw this last night.

I was in a different movie theatre three hours from where I live, in the busiest city in New Zealand. The theatre was packed.

I think everyone enjoyed it. People grinned when Jack was first shown, they laughed when they were supposed to laugh, etc. etc.

It was great fun. I'm agreeing with Planet-Man: I enjoyed this more than Superman Returns.

The only negative I can think of is that it seemed to drag on a bit. This may disappoint people, as a two-and-a-half hour movie which involves seeing a sequel to finish the story may not tickle a person's fancy.

If you like Pirates, want some light-hearted action, see this movie.

Honestly, I love the mythology this is building, and I did enjoy this movie a lot more than Superman (which isn't to say i didn't enjoy superman immensely), this was just action-packed, filled with interesting plot, and I was grinning ear-to-ear the entire movie...

The only parts that I didnt like were the direct nods to the previous film... But that's probably just because I watched the original right before seeing the new movie.

I really can't wait for the next film... It's going to involve a lot of Oriental sea-faring mythology, and undoubtedly, Ninjas fighting Pirates.

But you know what? I bet its going to ****ing rock.

I totally dressed up like a pirate.

Its the only way.

Dr.Strangefate said:
I totally dressed up like a pirate.
Did you pillage any booty, too?
pirate.gif

Wait, don't answer that. I really don't want to know.

Last edited:

Could we have a "Spoiler" added to the title? I want to get into the good stuff without having to tip-toe around it...

And thanks, Marvelman, your synopsis helped! There were little details that I didn't pick up on at first... But now they make complete sense.

Your very welcome, and thanks to you for the compliment. Keep in mind that I was scratching my head too until I saw it the second time. I musta been too tired the first time to understand the minutae of the plot.

marvelman said:
Your very welcome, and thanks to you for the compliment. Keep in mind that I was scratching my head too until I saw it the second time. I musta been too tired the first time to understand the minutae of the plot.

You left out the part about the cannibals! :lol:

Anyways, I may go back and see this next week with my folks, as they wanted to see this. I want to see if there's anything else I missed.

My only real complaint was the beginning's pacing. I think they wanted 2 and 3 to be one big story, but they felt one movie wouldn't be enough. So they filled up the beginning of this movie with about 30 minutes of filler. I think, when you take 2 and 3 together and compare them to one, they'll be just as good. Right now, though, 2 is just one half of a whole.

Last edited:

I thought the witch was hard to understand, at times, so that may be why there was difficulty following it. Other than that, I thought, for the most part, it was straightforward... The story is carried by the different characters and how they would react in certain situations. That being said, Pirates is unique in that a straightforward plot is never boring. At least, that goes for me.

That was my gripe, too. The first movie had bookends... This does not. I think once the third one comes out I won't really mind this, seeing as how Back to the Future did the same thing and thatare my favorite movie trilogy of all time.

Thank you so much for the summary marvelman!!! (I thought of "Muppet Treasure Island" too.) This makes me defintitely want to see it again in the theaters!

Okay, so the only part now that I'm confused about was that whole scene at the beginning with the people in cages screaming, getting their eyes pecked out, being sent away in coffins. What was that and why didn't they explain it? I thought they were pirates, but then that doesn't explain how Ragetti and the other guy got away. (I'm not even trying to make sense of how Jack survived. :) )

UPDATE: "Pirates" made $132 million this weekend!!

Last edited:

Here is a link to yet another record "Pirates" has smashed this weekend!

Fastest film to earn $100 million

And here is an article about the weekend and the records from my favorite B.O. site, mainly because of the humor and the roll-over picture captions. And the fun movie quiz games. :)

Last edited:

Good job with the synopsis, marvelman.:D

Believe it or not I actually did get everything the first time around(though I still plan on seeing it again), but my family didn't quite get some of it(they still loved the movie, though) so I had to explain some stuff on the way home.

And djf, $132 million?:shock:

Excelsior!! That also means I've seen the two biggest opening weekend movies(POTC2 and Spider-Man) and the two biggest opening day movies(POTC2 and Ep III ROTS) on the day they opened. I rule.

Planet-man said:
Excelsior!! That also means I've seen the two biggest opening weekend movies(POTC2 and Spider-Man) and the two biggest opening day movies(POTC2 and Ep III ROTS) on the day they opened. I rule.

I saw RotS at the midnight showing, PotC2 on Saturday, and Spider-Man the day before it came out at a preview screening, so it all averages out to the same achievement as yours. :)

There are a few questions they have -

1.) Why would Will Turner want to save Jack Sparrow? Elizabeth hooked up with him, Sparrow pretty much wronged him throughout the movie, and Sparrow pretty much took Will's opportunity to save his father away. That didn't add up.

2.) What is the reason/relevancy to save Jack Sparrow? Why does everyone WANT to save him?

3.) Barbossa survived, how?

Goodwill said:
1.) Why would Will Turner want to save Jack Sparrow? Elizabeth hooked up with him, Sparrow pretty much wronged him throughout the movie, and Sparrow pretty much took Will's opportunity to save his father away. That didn't add up.

To find out the truth. Why was Lizzy macking out with Jack,a nd what she really did. And in the first film, Jack was kinda like a father figure for Will.

2.) What is the reason/relevancy to save Jack Sparrow? Why does everyone WANT to save him?

Because of what the first mate said, "Life is a little bit duller now that Jack isn't around."

3.) Barbossa survived, how?

Third movie.

Barbossa was brought back from Purgatory by Tia Dalma (witchlady.) Jack is now in Purgatory, 'at world's end' and they want to bring him back.

The movie was fantastic.

The first might of been slightly better, but I still loved it.

I loved how every major character returned and they almost all ended up on the Black Pearl. I love Elizabeth's reaction when she sees the two pirates that kidnapped her. As I did Jack's dirty look he gave them.

The best part of the movie was when Barbossa showed up again. I didn't catch the hint at the beginning. But the whole scene on the island with the heart was genius. With everyone fighting and all the weirdness it was.

And she didn't fall in love with Jack or have the hots for him. She led him on to cuff him. Duh people. Then she felt bad for him. And Will knows that Jack was really a good man and wouldn't of left him there.

I did also enjoy the nods to the other movie. Like the apple and the rum. And the sea turtles.

Great movie.

Better than Superman.

Last edited:
thee great one said:

And she didn't fall in love with Jack or have the hots for him. She led him on to cuff him. Duh people. Then she felt bad for him. And Will knows that Jack was really a good man and wouldn't of left him there.

Mm, I don't know about that. The compass was clearly pointing to Jack when Elizabeth was holding it. . .

Latest posts

Back