Planetary

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Does anyone get this? (Wildstorm fans? - ourchair, compound?)

I read the first trade while I was in OZ and it looked really good. I extremelly like the character Elijah Snow. It had a good story and I managed to understand all of Ellis' science talk. I am a fan of Ellis' work and am considering getting trades of this.

So does anyone read this or recommend it? Or maybe we can discuss the first trade?

BTW, I found a canvas recently in my house. I am going to paint something on it and when I saw Mr. Snow I found my match. I think it would look cool with lots of shades of white or something. Maybe if I do I'll put a photo of it up here.

ProjectX2 said:
Does anyone get this? (Wildstorm fans? - ourchair, compound?)

I read the first trade while I was in OZ and it looked really good. I extremelly like the character Elijah Snow. It had a good story and I managed to understand all of Ellis' science talk. I am a fan of Ellis' work and am considering getting trades of this.

So does anyone read this or recommend it? Or maybe we can discuss the first trade?

BTW, I found a canvas recently in my house. I am going to paint something on it and when I saw Mr. Snow I found my match. I think it would look cool with lots of shades of white or something. Maybe if I do I'll put a photo of it up here.
Compound is a big fan of Planetary, and probably has more intelligent things to say about it than I do, simply because I don't own my own copies to pore over and obsess about for nights on end. :D

But Planetary is great. Not totally my cup of tea, but I see where its ingenuity lies. The fun part about being a Planetary reader is trying to come up with your own story ideas, your own pseudo-explanations into Earth's secret history and its hidden mythological heroes.

Anything else you'd like to say Bass?

I love Planetary.

Anyone read the latest issue "Percussion"? It r0xz0rs. You find out what Elijah Snow's 'century baby' purpose is.

And the Drummer is hella-cool in it.

And you find out one of Elijah's goals.

It r0xz0rs.

The great thing about Planetary is that it works on so many levels that you end up reading the issues several times. There is always the surface story, which since the issues come out more-or-less quarterly is good, 'cause I doubt I could remember subtle, complicated plot points that long, but then there is the point at which you sit down and re-read several issues to pick up all those little things and it all "clicks."

Ellis has a great time with meta-commentary in these issues, too, talking about comics and other media, past, present and future. There are an awful lot of comics out there that I can read without my higher brain functions ever kicking in, but Planetary is not one of them.

I've been devouring Planetary for the last few weeks. I picked up the first two trades, then had to go find the third, as well as Ellis' Stormwatch work, since I can't very well read The Authority without reading Stormwatch first.

I love the world tour of fiction that Panetary takes us on. One part I particularly like was the thematic parallels that Ellis suggested between the themes in brittish comics from the 80s (Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Miracleman) to his own Transmetropolitan.

Spider Constantine lives!

It was mentioned... somewhere (I forget) by a fan that it's possible each of the Planetary characters represent a British comic writer.

The Drummer = Grant Morrison
Elijah Snow = Alan Moore
Jakita Wagner = Warren Ellis

Nice when ya think about it.

Oh, and while I got almost every in-reference in Planetary - I had to have The Four's parallel as a dark Fantastic Four pointed out to me...

I've figured the reason why I didn't enjoy Planetary as much as I should've: I didn't have time to re-read it and re-read it again. I change my mind now: It's insanely good and I love it to bits.

I'd wet my pants if they made this into a half-hour animated series with the animation detail and the skilled voice acting of The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (first season, not the terrible second season).

That might seem an odd concept, but TRAoJQ while mildly flawed, had great story ideas in its first season: Alligator-totem warrior cults in Florida, mystical elephants on a death quest and a publicity hungry tabloid show that put a million dollar reward on a white tiger lost in Manhattan.

The idea of pulling off stellar animation combined with self-contained episodes joined by a larger narrative under this team would be awesome.

You're in luck. Planetary #24 is out January. #25 February/March. #26 March/April, with the final ever issue, #27, sometime later in the year, probably summer.

PLANETARY #24
For months Elijah Snow has been pulling back from his fellow Planetary agents, following a personal road map to his own mysterious agenda. Now the curtain will begin to be drawn back and the some of the deepest secrets will at last be revealed... like patterns in a snowflake. And if the last pages of this story don't leave you gasping for breath and begging for more, nothing will!

From Ellis' Bad Signal, in Spring 2005:

I'm nine or ten pages into the new script (24), and right away I've wrapped up the connections between the Hong Kong cop, the Melanctha issue and John Leather, hopefully clearly explicated what the Century Babies do, explained why the Four let Planetary live, given a fairly strong hint about what The Drummer is, and described the above and below of the protective systems existing around life on Earth in the Planetary "universe".

Release is scheduled for January 18th, 2006.

Ish 25PLANETARY #25
From Ellis' Bad Signal, October 31 2005:

#25, by the way, covers a lot of what John Stone's been up to.

The ofiicial blurb: "The final act begins! Elijah Snow draws together elements from nearly everything he's investigated since rejoining the team, to lay a trap for the two remaining members of the Four. But the Four had fully fifty years to prepare their defenses. Fifty years since their rocket entered the space between universes, and they were changed... but how?" On sale February 22nd.

PLANETARY #26
From Ellis' Bad Signal, October 31 2005:

Now halfway through script for penultimate issue of PLANETARY, which is #26. I laid the plans for the last half of this issue back during the first year of the book. It almost seems too simple, now, as I connect up the dots. Hopefully it'll be satisfying. Not every mystery associated with the book will be tied up; life's like that, and some of the ideas are more interesting as mysteries than as solutions.

Release is roughly scheduled for late March, 2006.

PLANETARY #27
From a couple of Ellis's Bad Signals, spring of 2005:

Cassaday and I are talking about a little stunt for the last few issues of PLANETARY -- I'm pretty sure right now that 27 will be the last issue.

By the end of July, PLANETARY will be pretty much done, save for the aftermath/closing issue, which I may have taken off the schedule and released a few months after #26 as a coda.

Some of the powers-that-be over at WildStorm have been talking about the tentative plans for the remaining issues of Planetary. Separately, Wildstorm VP and General Manager Hank Kanalz and editor Ben Abernathy have mentioned an epilogue-type issue later in the year, as Ellis' and Cassaday's schedules allow. So the final issue should appear some time in 2006.

Last edited:
I may get the first trade of this for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back