Punisher MAX [Aaron/Dillon] discussion (Spoilers!)

Yes, he did the Mother Russia arc.

Don't let your distaste for Dillion prevent you from reading this title.

Ah ok. Yeah his art was ok.

I definitely won't let Dillon prevent me from following this. I've read articles from Aaron abou his upcoming run and he says it's definitely gonna be continuous story that I plan on following.

I'm just hoping that Dillon's not on this for long.

So... how ****ing terrifying is Bullseye?

Jason Aaron has outdone himself. I am terrified and disgusted at the same time.

tumblr_l2cu84UrH41qzla78o1_500.png

Last edited:
I am interested to see if this new series continues to introduce mainstream Marvel U characters... I'd be interested to see what Matt Murdock is like in the MAX universe.

I just read the 2009 Christmas special and it was disturbing.

tumblr_l3spncb8pN1qzla78o1_500.png

This comic is disturbing.

tumblr_l3spr7YcCq1qzla78o1_500.png

Jason Aaron is great.

tumblr_l3sprtdabb1qzla78o1_500.png

Last edited:
Just caught up on my PUNISHER MAX.

Right, so the Kingpin arc: It is weird that the MAX series is now completely out of continuity despite the recent Aaron issues referring to Punisher killing Microchip. However, it's really not a big deal, it's just kinda confusing. What saves it is the brilliant rise of the Kingpin which is just superb. Using the fear of the Punisher and his own methods to create a way for him to steal all the power was really smart.

The Bullseye arc borders on the ludicrous black comedy (****ting guns out on the toilet) to absolutely chilling psychoses ("I didn't feel anything. We'll have to do it again."). The latter half is astonishingly good and a great Punisher villain.

However, there's no reason for it to be Bullseye. At all. This annoys me greatly. While it is nice to see Bullseye being used in a new fashion, he is being used so well and so radically differently, making him Bullseye is just fan service. Part of what makes Bullseye so terrifying is how little we know of him, but because he's Bullseye he's a bit on the familiar side. Also, the name doesn't really matter much as he's not the superpowered "I never miss" guy. I think he'd've been improved if he was a brand new character. It annoys me because we have a totally new Punisher villain who is just a reuse of an old villain. Imagine if Barracude was Tombstone. It totally could've worked, but he's Barracuda. Rorschach isn't The Question, he's Rorschach.

It uses Kingpin and Bullseye to draw fanboys in because it wants to sell more copies, but I think it does a disservice to the story that Aaron's doing because it creates comparisons with the original characters and the crazy departure is confusing and off-putting, and it makes it seem like it's just "another Bullseye" story when it's something completely different.

I'm wondering though how long it will last because KINGPIN was not five issues, it's eight issues and counting.

But it's good.

Last edited:
To clear up your confusion on the continuity thing, this series is the continuation of the Garth Ennis Punisher MAX series, which itself was always out of main Marvel continuity.

Except for the first arc which kinda had Microchip in it. And then later when Nick Fury showed up.

Before it was kinda a "dark unspoken corner of the Marvel Universe" in barely two arcs, other than that, it wasn't anything to do with Marvel at all. Now, it's "Punisher vs KINGPIN and BULLSEYE!" except it now feels like an out-of-continuity thing that kinda 'doesn't count' and I find it all very self-defeating.

I just kind of see it as Ultimate Punisher. It uses established continuity like the Ultimate books did/do (like Xavier used to know Magneto! Cap fought in WWII!), but it introduces the characters in new contexts.

I suppose I just feel that the change is somewhat homogenizing and confusing, without any benefit or purpose. It's kinda just shock value and somewhat shallow because the gimmick of Kingpin and Bullseye being in the comic is too obvious, rather than being something totally of its own. It's how a lot of the ultimate universe felt as well, particularly as it went on. The difference is that the gimmick is a bit poo but the comic is actually good.

Last edited:
I think Bass needs to be face-****ed by every gangbanger in Crown Heights.

Did anyone read the Happy Ending one-shot? I was surprised that it was really good - I don't think I've ever read a Peter Milligan comic that was any good.

It only tangently involves Punisher - it's about a guy who is kind of trapped in a cold marriage and decides to go to a "Happy Ending" massage parlor, but right as he gets there he gets caught up in a gang fight involving one of the masseuses. Long story short, the whole thing changes his life.

It was ok.

I really hate the artist though. Never could get into Ryp's work. Especially on his Avatar Press stuff. Always seemed too busy.

Did anyone else check out Punisher Max: Hot Rods of Death? Besides having the awesomest title this year, the story itself is pretty good, I mean it's nothing profound, but it's fun.

Except for the first arc which kinda had Microchip in it. And then later when Nick Fury showed up.

Before it was kinda a "dark unspoken corner of the Marvel Universe" in barely two arcs, other than that, it wasn't anything to do with Marvel at all. Now, it's "Punisher vs KINGPIN and BULLSEYE!" except it now feels like an out-of-continuity thing that kinda 'doesn't count' and I find it all very self-defeating.

Except when Nick Fury showed up, it PROVED the whole thing was out of continuity... Nick Fury was a cold warrior who had been out of work for almost 20 years, and was trying to use Frank to leverage power back onto himself. And I think they made it clear that he wasn't a functionally immortal WWII veteran. I think they even said he was a Vietnam vet, like Frank...

It was basically the same thing they're doing with The Kingpin now, all the way back in the third storyarc of Ennis' run.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back