Punisher MAX [Aaron/Dillon] discussion (Spoilers!)

One issue left.

I will miss Jason Aaron writing Frank Castle.

I won't.

I stopped picking up the title after he took over. I gave him a fair chance, and I was enjoying it despite Bullseye, Kingpin and Elektra. But when he did the whole "I want a divorce" thing and now it's turning out to be the end... I'm extremely disappointed that perhaps my favourite Marvel title is ending on such a sour note. From the original, powerful revenge stories of Ennis, which had different subject matter and new villains in each arc, it's sad to see it go on a gratituous, pop-psychological arc involving three reinterpreted 'classic' Marvel villains pooping guns.

Bass said:
I won't.

I stopped picking up the title after he took over. I gave him a fair chance, and I was enjoying it despite Bullseye, Kingpin and Elektra. But when he did the whole "I want a divorce" thing and now it's turning out to be the end... I'm extremely disappointed that perhaps my favourite Marvel title is ending on such a sour note. From the original, powerful revenge stories of Ennis, which had different subject matter and new villains in each arc, it's sad to see it go on a gratituous, pop-psychological arc involving three reinterpreted 'classic' Marvel villains pooping guns.

I kind of agree with this.

I didn't even know until after reading #22 that this was supposed to be a continuation of the Ennis run. It didn't really fit. I liked it overall, but I agree with Bass's "pop-psychological" line there. It was less real, or maybe it seemed less identifiable. It was certainly less intelligent.

That's not to say it wasn't fun. But I never really thought of Ennis's run as fun. It was ugly and dark - and that is a compliment. the Aaron fun was gratuitous violence that just didn't seem to mean anything.

I liked it overall but it really should've been its own thing.

This run just never hit a sweet spot for me. Ennis' MAX worked because it was so gruesome. Remender's Frankencastle worked because it was so ridiculous. This just... kind of was.

Latest posts

Back