Punisher: War Zone (Spoilers)

the watcher

The Punisher: War Zone

Release Date: 11/13/08
Studio: Lions Gate Films
Director: Lexi Alexander
Screenwriter: Jonathan Hensleigh
Starring: Ray Stevenson, Dominic West, Doug Hutchinson, Colin Salmon, Wayne Knight, Dash Mihok, & Julie Benz
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama, Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: coming soon
Review: Not Available
DVD Review: Not Available
DVD: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: Not Available
Plot Summary: Not Available

Trailer:
Coming Soon!

Side Note:

Punisher 2 Starts Filming this Summer?
Source: Blades_Shades aka Advanced Dark January 14, 2006

A user on the ThomasJane.com says he met The Punisher star and has an update on the sequel:

My friend Tony and I just returned to St. Louis from Cape Girardeau and we were lucky enough to have met Tom last night. We waited in the hotel lobby for him and when he arrived he was the nicest celebrity I've ever met. He signed all of our stuff and posed for pictures. He said he really appreciated us waiting to meet him and he also confirmed that Punisher 2 will begin filming this summer. During the past couple of days, we also were able to have met and gotten autographs from Diane Lane and Mickey Rourke. But meeting Thomas made the trip worthwhile.

Stay tuned for a possible official confirmation of this.

Last edited:
Re: Punisher 2

The first one was probably my favourite Marvel movie.

icemastertron said:
If it starts filming this summer, how is it being released this fall? :?

They probably were going to do it ealier. But got pushed back. That happends alot in movies. They can do it for any reason too, witch sucks. They can promote a movie up the buzzu, and pull it the day it's going to be released. Or even later than that. I change it to say: ???.

Random said:
I'd like to see how it turns out I heard the script was good.

I heard It's not going to be for the faint of heart.

And interview from Wizard

Lastly, I've got to check in and see how things are going on "Punisher 2."

JANE: The writer is halfway through a draft right now. We should be rolling camera with any luck by February. Jigsaw is going to be in it.

Is Jonathan Hensleigh coming back to direct?

JANE: No. We're still looking for a new director. If you know anybody, let me know.

Jane is really adament into making this

I was damn happy with the first Punisher movie, so as long as the second is in the same vein I'll be happy. Might even see this one in the theator.

im hopin they bring back Carlo Siliotto to do the music score. please tell me im not the only one who freakin loved his work on the first one

I like Thomas Jane everytime I get to listen to him on podcasts. He seems a nice enough chap.

Have you seen "Stander"? that film is outstanding. I`m all for supporting Jane`s projects i think the guy is gonna deliver us some gems in years to come. Really lookin forward to Mutant Chronicles

Northern Now says that "The Shield" writer Kurt Sutter is working on Punisher 2. What he's doing on the sequel is not made clear.

This was sent to me in an e-mail from Adam at thepunisher.com and he has also posted this up on the main site:

For almost three years fans have been clamoring for a sequel to 'The Punisher' film released in April of 2004. Over that time we have heard tons of rumors and speculation on the progress of a new film. Who will star? Who will be the villain? When will the script be done? When will it start shooting? When will it be released?!?!?!?

You have no doubt read either here or on other internet sites about the various people working on a script. Well, it would seem that there have been a total of 4 complete scripts written so far. The news of Stuart Beattie (Collateral) being brought on board to flesh out a version of the script brought a new hope to many of us. Apparently Stuart did not even scratch the surface (5 total pages) before he moved onto another project. Just recently a small snippet was unearthed that Kurt Sutter (The Shield) was working on the project, as either writer or director which again raised the speculation flag and had many a fan's hopes up.

I am rehashing this history to try and get us all up to speed on what I am about to tell you:

Things are not looking good for this movie franchise.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of having lunch with Thomas Jane to discuss the status of 'Punisher 2'. Thomas is a hard working guy these days. He has four films "in the can" and not even released in theaters yet. He just completed of a 40 day shoot on 'The Mist' where his short days of shooting were only 14 hours long. He is developing future feature films and comic books for his RAW Entertainment company, and is going to start filming his directorial debut feature film towards the end of this year. In 3D none the less !!!

Thomas has been working out hard these past few months in preparation of a July start date of principal photography on 'Punisher 2'. Thomas is a very passionate guy when it comes to his projects and has a very good idea on where he sees the Punisher franchise going. Marvel wants to re-invent the franchise. Put some time and money behind what could potentially be a very successful series of films featuring everyone's favorite vigilante. Lionsgate (the studio with the rights to the character currently) wants to shove a new film into the production pipeline without giving much thought to a decent script or director. They have egg on their face because the sequel process has taken as long as it already has. Their option on the character's license will expire within the next year, and unless they start production on something, the rights will revert back to Marvel. (Shades of Roger Corman's 1994 'Fantastic Four' come to mind.)

There will be a meeting this Monday, April 9th between Lionsgate, Marvel, Gale Ann Hurd (producer), and Thomas Jane. Per Jane, he has script and director approval in order for him to be involved in a sequel. So far, the scripts that have been turned in are not good. The script writers are going for more of a comedic approach to the character. Granted, this is a movie based on a Comic Book character. But a majority of the fans like this character because he is grounded in reality. No spandex, no super powers, no super villains. The Punisher is what anyone of us could turn into if the circumstances were to go a certain way. There is a little Punisher in each and every one of us and I feel that is what draws us to this character.

Thomas has brought a story to the table which is very compelling. It has portions of both old school Punisher and new school tactics. Each of the writer's (except Hensleigh; his first script for the sequel was an original idea using portions of the pre-existing comic book story lines.) has been directed to flesh out this story and develop a script. None have succeeded in Jane's eyes.

Although I can't be very specific on the details of Jane's story for 'Punisher 2', I can tell you that it is a very compelling one. Yes, Jigsaw is the major villain and yes, it will be set in New York City. Jane would like to see a film that has the Punisher involved in some very close and personal fighting styles. Lots of Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and less shooting up a ton of bad guys with automatic weapons.

If Lionsgate will not pony up the funds and resources to bring on an experienced film writer to develop a decent script, Thomas Jane will not be involved in a sequel.

This coming Monday Thomas will try and convince Lionsgate they are approaching this franchise the wrong way and this is not the type of movie that Punisher fans are calling for. Jane envisions a movie in the vein of 'Taxi Driver' or 'Collateral'. Something dark and crime noir. Something that carries with it the look and feel of the last 10 minutes of the first film. Not a "Steven Segal rip off." What he wants to do is convince Lionsgate this is what the fans are looking for too.

Or, what are the fans looking for?

We need your help in compiling some statistics on what the Punisher fan has in mind for a sequel. What are a Punisher fan's favorite movies? What kind of film do you want 'Punisher 2' to be? What directors would be perfect for 'Punisher 2'?

Jane would like to hear from you and take this information to the table on Monday. We do not have a lot of time to compile this information so get your ideas in now. Forward this to your friends and fellow Punisher fans. Copy this to all your internet message boards and get the word out there that we are about to lose this franchise to a group of people that are not in tune with the character or what the fans really want.

Send in your ideas to [email protected]. Answer the above questions and also submit some of your ideas on the movie and what you would like to see up on that screen. Remember !!! We have little time and this is a rare opportunity to make a contribution from the fan community.

Adam-
The Punisher Archives
www.thepunisher.com

Last edited:

Tom Jane is a really cool guy. He loves the character and he has a real admiration for him and the source material. I mean, how many people do you know that will reject tons of scripts because it didn't portray the character as up to par? Not only that, but he's going out of his way to make sure not only that there is a Punisher 2, but that it will be a great film. Kudos to him.

CBR:

PUNISHER 2

Actor Thomas Jane was interviewed by Advanced Dark, and talked a little bit about when he expects to load up again. "The problem has always been getting a decent script," Jane said. "We actually have a script that's being turned in this week and we all have our fingers crossed, you know? We'd love to do it. Everybody wants to do it, but we all want to make a good movie. It starts with the script. We've gotta get a good script, and then we'll be ready to rock. The plan is to start the 'Punisher 2' in June; of course, I think I said that last year, too."

Kurt Sutter's involvement spells good things. The Shield is awesome.

I love how Thomas Jane is really committing himself to give the project his all. I mean, sure it sounds ridiculous when you hear about 'sequel plans' for years and as the days pass by it seems like it's all just hot air.

But all signs point to the time being spent trying to make a quality product, and not from trying to fast-track it to boost the numbers on a quarterly fiscal report.

Take your time, Tommy boy.

I love how Thomas Jane is really committing himself to give the project his all. I mean, sure it sounds ridiculous when you hear about 'sequel plans' for years and as the days pass by it seems like it's all just hot air.

But all signs point to the time being spent trying to make a quality product, and not from trying to fast-track it to boost the numbers on a quarterly fiscal report.

If only he worked on for X-Men (script wise), too.

Agreed.

Since his "big" comeback in Stephen King's "Dreamcatchers" a few years back---Jane has been really careful as to what project he'll do. And it shows. I can't think of one bad movie I've seen him in since 2000.

The fact that he's committed is awesome. But just how involved is Jane? Is he holding up production because he doesn't like the scripts so far? And if so, how long will the studios hold out until they just say screw it and opt for another actor to play the role or just cancel the project altogether?

Agreed.

Since his "big" comeback in Stephen King's "Dreamcatchers" a few years back---Jane has been really careful as to what project he'll do. And it shows. I can't think of one bad movie I've seen him in since 2000.

The fact that he's committed is awesome. But just how involved is Jane? Is he holding up production because he doesn't like the scripts so far? And if so, how long will the studios hold out until they just say screw it and opt for another actor to play the role or just cancel the project altogether?

I dont think Jane is holding up anything, it seems he's the only one trying to get this made (I havent heard anything from the studios or Marvel about it). I think right now their trying to get the script approved by the studio so its really them holding things up.

I wish they stick as low budget as possible, it really helped that last film. Action movies today just seem to lose touch with the basics

Latest posts

Back