Resident Evil (video game series)

2 and 3 were yes and that is fine. It was just every other one on game cube I disliked.

Yes the remake of 1 had better graphics and more story but the first one was great why do that? why not just make another game in a different mansion or something than do a extended version of 1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Its not that it was broke, just outdated. Resident Evil was first released for the Playstation in 1996, at the same time Nintendo's equivalent console was the N64 (for which RE0 was originally planned to be released on). By 2002, when the Gamecube came out, graphical ability had improved quite a bit, and gameplay itself to some degree. So, when Nintendo got the Resident Evil exclusivity contract with Capcom, it only made sense to release the older RE games for the console. And the two big hallmarks at the time were RE0 and the RE remake.

Now, as to your question "why do that?"...its really pretty simple. To attract not only new fans to the genre, they wanted older RE fans to buy and play the game, people who'd already played the original RE on PS1. They decided to update the graphics incredibly, replace the lame-*** live-action video cut-scenes with sweet, smooth-running CGI cutscenes, and most importantly add and expand the story to a substantial degree, but without altering the RE continuity. They also added in new defensive and offensive capabilities, thereby just making it a much more immersive game.

Basically, the Gamecube version of RE is now the "definitive" version...the PS version is just the "classic".

as for what everyone saying about 4 I just don't like it. I wont play it again.

Eh, whatever. But if you didn't like RE4 you're probably going to HATE RE5 (supposedly the zombies will be able to run after you, like in 28 Days Later).

See, I don't mind remakes of games because games usually improve on the original material, unlike a lot of movie remakes. And the REmake did that masterfully. So much so, in fact, I absolutely refuse to play the original anymore. The REmake was just so much better on every imaginable level. The story, the atmosphere, the graphics, the suspense. It was also a lot scarier thanks to all of those.

But, to each his own, I guess. . .

My thoughts exactly. Its too bad you don't live close by, we could hang out and agree on everything.

My thoughts exactly. Its too bad you don't live close by, we could hang out and agree on everything.

I know, right? Jensen's about two and half hours from here, though. You should have come to Megacon! I only went for my friend's Horror pannel, but we went to a friend's condo and partied hard! You'd have fit right in. 8)

I know, right? Jensen's about two and half hours from here, though. You should have come to Megacon! I only went for my friend's Horror pannel, but we went to a friend's condo and partied hard! You'd have fit right in. 8)

Actually, I do make trips to Orlando somewhat often (my friends live up there). Next time I plan on heading up there, I'll drop you a PM and get your phone number.

Actually, I do make trips to Orlando somewhat often (my friends live up there). Next time I plan on heading up there, I'll drop you a PM and get your phone number.

Hey, awesome! I'll set up a party or something.

Eh, whatever. But if you didn't like RE4 you're probably going to HATE RE5 (supposedly the zombies will be able to run after you, like in 28 Days Later).

Improved zombies I'm all for. No zombies I'm against so Resident evil 5 should be pretty cool.

Improved zombies I'm all for. No zombies I'm against so Resident evil 5 should be pretty cool.

So you're main gripe with RE4 is that they weren't called zombies?

Its obviously not in the way they act as zombies that turned you off to RE4, since you're open to the idea of "improving" them. If you ask me, RE4 did just that, by improving the zombie idea from the earlier games. Instead of aimlessly shambling, they were smarter and more organized, as well as more difficult to take down.

I don't care if they were called Ganados or what, they're still zombies, Mole.

You're opinion is your opinion, I'm not trying to change your mind, just make sense of why you didn't like it.

I don't care if they were called Ganados or what, they're still zombies, Mole.

Zombie bit first - No. They didn't look like zombies , they could feel pain ..... ect sure they acted a little like zombies but they were different. Where I do see some slight similarities there is more difference a lot more.

Game play - Most of the improvements to old system felt rushed. To me it was like they only cared about graphics.

Graphics - Were good but a game should revolve around graphics. same thing I say about films graphics can improve and dress it up as a nice extra but should not be the main part.

Sorry dude it IMO RE4 sucked

Last edited:
Zombie bit first - No. They didn't look like zombies , they could feel pain ..... ect sure they acted a little like zombies but they were different. Where I do see some slight similarities there is more difference a lot more.

Gotta disagree. How did they not "look like zombies"? The only difference was their flesh wasn't rotting (as much). They were still pretty damn dead looking. As for feeling pain, who's to say zombies can't? Maybe they just don't react to it (sort of like a plant).

Game play - Most of the improvements to old system felt rushed. To me it was like they only cared about graphics.

???

Are you ****ing kidding me? Rushed? The controls are so much tighter in RE4 than any previous in the series that its not even funny. The graphics are damn good, no doubt they cared about them, but the gameplay itself was far and away an improvement over the older REs.

Besides the new over the shoulder, third-person camera angle being a HUGE improvement over the fixed camera of the original games.

Graphics - Were good but a game should revolve around graphics. same thing I say about films graphics can improve and dress it up as a nice extra but should not be the main part.

Whatever man. I just can't understand how you think it sucks.

Sorry dude it IMO RE4 sucked

You're entitled to it, but its obvious to me you don't know what you're talking about. ;)

You're entitled to it, but its obvious to me you don't know what you're talking about. ;)

Ditto. If you can't understand why someone may not like it that implies you think it's a perfect game and therefore have no taste in video games.

Next you'll be saying the original mario game is not as good as crash Bandicoot because like resident evil 4 crash Bandicoot has better graphics.

I maybe a fanboy of things but I admit it admit it your a blind Resident Evil fanboy and so your blindness makes arguing as pointless as a **** flavoured lollipop. Oh well could be worse you could one of the halo ones that think Halo is the best game ever created.

Last edited:
If i were to play this game, dib would have easily convinced me. mole, i'm sad to say, what are you smoking my friend? because you need to be smoking dibs.

Ditto. If you can't understand why someone may not like it that implies you think it's a perfect game and therefore have no taste in video games.

Next you'll be saying the original mario game is not as good as crash Bandicoot because like resident evil 4 crash Bandicoot has better graphics.

I maybe a fanboy of things but I admit it admit it your a blind Resident Evil fanboy and so your blindness makes arguing as pointless as a **** flavoured lollipop. Oh well could be worse you could one of the halo ones that think Halo is the best game ever created.

Whoa! Clam down now, you can't compare Mario to Crash they're two different franchises, but what about Mario 64 to the original Mario? 64 was awesome because it had the basic elements of Mario but also experimented with several new ideas (punching, multiple jumps, 3-D), I personally think that 64 is the better game.
Back to RE4, the only real differences (game play wise) are the camera angle, how you shoot, and the enemy types. Personally, if I wanted to plug slow moving zombies, then I would play survivor. The RE series is filled with zombies, but how easy would they have been to kill in this game?

Right, whatever.

Dude, did you even read my post? Sure the graphics are better, but that isn't what makes it a great game. I said the most important thing were the improvements in the gameplay. Is your reading comprehension that limited?

And I've never even played Crash Bandicoot. Mario is a classic, so no competition there, graphics or not.

The only reason why you're only focusing on the graphic aspect is because you can't argue the valid reasons of why its a better game. Try a little critical thinking, and then get back to me with an actual answer.

**** that. I enjoy the RE games, just like you apparently do (at least the original ones in your case). But there are plenty of RE games I think sucked: Survivor, Survivor 2, Gaiden, and Dead Aim were all lacking. If I was such a RE fanboy as yu put it, I'm pretty sure I could see no wrong with them.

And your "fanboy" comment makes me laugh, as its evident you're merely a Playstation fanboy who hated the idea of the RE series on Gamecube, just because it wasn't your console of choice (hence your Halo comment as well, obviously aimed at the Xbox fanboys). Thats ****ing lame, man, sorry. What it comes down to is its that simple. You didn't hate the RE remake or RE0 for any other reason than it wasn't on PS. And you're reason for not liking RE4 is probably related to that as well, though I'm sure you're "they're not real zombies" mentality had something to do with it as well (however illogical).

As for the best game ever created, it isn't Halo, Resident Evil, of any of the current generation series. The best game ever created is Super Metroid, for the best video game series ever created: Metroid. End of story.

You need to learn to take a joke, Mole. My "You're entitled to it, but its obvious to me you don't know what you're talking about" comment was a joke, hence the winking smiley at the end, but its apparent you took it to heart. Relax, man, or you're just going to end up putting your foot in your mouth and get another suspension from the board.

Hibiki said:
If i were to play this game, dib would have easily convinced me. mole, i'm sad to say, what are you smoking my friend? because you need to be smoking dibs.

I'm willing to share. Moley, come take a hit.

*Hands Mole a lighter*

Last edited:
Whoa! Clam down now, you can't compare Mario to Crash they're two different franchises, but what about Mario 64 to the original Mario? 64 was awesome because it had the basic elements of Mario but also experimented with several new ideas (punching, multiple jumps, 3-D), I personally think that 64 is the better game.

The original was better than 64 but 64 was still good. Mario sunshine was ok too but sunshine was not as fun as 64 or original.

but Zombies would of been easy to kill on resident evil 4 because resident evil 4 was too easy. the new gameplay made it so I completed it alot faster than 1 2 or 3. Also it had no moments that me jump like the others. It just felt very watered down.

If it wasn't for the title of the game I would of assumed it was just a cheap RE clone.

Last edited:
The original was better than 64 but 64 was still good. Mario sunshine was ok too but sunshine was not as fun as 64 or original.

I thought Sunshine was kind of lame, but still interesting enough to keep me playing till I beat it. Mario 64 is a classic, just like Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World before it.

but Zombies would of been easy to kill on resident evil 4 because resident evil 4 was too easy.

You know you can change the difficulty level, right Mole? Try it on Hard/Difficult and then tell me it was too easy. :roll:

the new gameplay made it so I completed it alot faster than 1 2 or 3.

Thats funny. The game area is much larger than any of them, and it took me and everyone I know who played it longer to beat than any other RE game.

Also it had no moments that me jump like the others. It just felt very watered down.

When that giant came crashing through the gate, killed a bunch of Ganados, and came after you, it didn't get you're heart pumping? And yet slow moving, shambling zombies do?

And then when Saddler's Right Hand (the mantis looking thing) came out of nowhere and starts attacking you in the swere, you were expecting that, right?

Seriously, dude, this game had way more WTF/jump in surprise/fright moments than any RE before it.

Again, to each his own, but damn...to me that just makes no sense.

If it wasn't for the title of the game I would of assumed it was just a cheap RE clone.

Now you're confusing RE2 and RE3 with RE4. Those were the cheap clones of the original RE...RE4 actually improved and expanded on the ideas of the originals, as true sequels should.

I'm done trying to have an intelligent debate on this topic with you though. You don't like it, fine, you're entitled not to. I know I enjoyed it, and apparently the vast majority of the people who played it did as well. Not saying majority rules per se, but its usually a good indicator of how well a work stands up.

I also like how you didn't repond to any of my last post. I win!!!

;)

Last edited:
I also like how you didn't repond to any of my last post. I win!!!;)

It posted while i was typing like this one was.

R Try a little critical thinking, and then get back to me with an actual answer.

You want more reasons?

Two main characters Luis and Krauser (not sure on spelling) both appear out of nowhere and get NO character development and then both **** off much earlier than they should of.

The plot does the same it moves too fast and is not explained well at all unlike the other games.

the characters you play as in this basically are more emotionless in this game. in 1 2 and 3 you could feel how scared they were even in a room with zombies or nemesis or the zombie dogs. Not this one it makes them 2d

of of the big new improvements was interactive cut-scenes. great idea but pulled of very badly. besides lacking in the interactive department they also contradict the rest of the story. So it's like plot hole after plot hole after plot hole.

There is NO and I mean NO serious challenges in this game it's like Resident evil Jr. Go in room shoot everyone repeat , At least in the first one dogs , birds and even zombies put up more of a challenge

Continuation points every door you pass through. This means that the game doesn't give you any incentive to stay alive. In 1 , 2 and 3 you had to stay alive to use ink ribbon save but now you don't care and sometimes die on purpose to see the kick *** death scenes THAT IS NOT RESIDENT EVIL

With the amount of ammo , armour ect.. the enemies drop I wonder is it Resident Evil or Zelda? the first ones did not do this (or when they did it was a rare thing) this takes away the realistic feel the others had (yes zombies ect.. but delt with them in a realistic way) Also that now makes it easier

Even the sound track is bland and looses the suspenseful feel of the original.

but I'll stop I can easily go on but I agree let's stop. you like it good for you. I don't I think it was very rushed

It posted while i was typing like this one was.

You want more reasons?

Two main characters Luis and Krauser (not sure on spelling) both appear out of nowhere and get NO character development and then both **** off much earlier than they should of.

And that never happend in any of the previous games?

Besides, they got all the character development that was needed for the story. They weren't major characters, what do you want? How much development did Ada really get in RE2, or Birkin? Or Marvin Branagh?

The plot does the same it moves too fast and is not explained well at all unlike the other games.

The plot was explained better than the other games, Mole. This game utilized way more cut-scenes (very well done cut-scenes) than any other, and in most of the early RE games the plot was mostly explained through files or notes you picked up...all of which were intentionally vague.

Again, not seeing the logic in your argument there.

the characters you play as in this basically are more emotionless in this game. in 1 2 and 3 you could feel how scared they were even in a room with zombies or nemesis or the zombie dogs. Not this one it makes them 2d

Now you're just grasping at straws. Emotion is usually evoked through movement, facial expression, voice patterns, etc; all of which were done way better in this game than any previous RE (in large part to the graphical engine). The older RE games are way more "2D" (as you put it) in terms of character emotion. This one even furthered the plot along of the Leon/Ada plot and the Wesker/Umbrella plot.

of of the big new improvements was interactive cut-scenes. great idea but pulled of very badly. besides lacking in the interactive department they also contradict the rest of the story. So it's like plot hole after plot hole after plot hole.

No logic in this statement at all. As far as I'm concerned, they were executed beautifully. In terms of lacking in logic on your part, how the hell did they contradict the rest of the story or create plot holes...seriously man, its like you have no idea what you're talking about. Did you play the same game I did? Are you sure it wasn't some lame, RE4 Beta version or something?

There is NO and I mean NO serious challenges in this game it's like Resident evil Jr. Go in room shoot everyone repeat , At least in the first one dogs , birds and even zombies put up more of a challenge

Ahem, difficulty level. I'm willing to bet you had it on easy. If you play it on difficult, it is indeed a major challenge. And try the Assignment Ada mission or Mercenaries mini game and tell me those are easy as well.

Continuation points every door you pass through. This means that the game doesn't give you any incentive to stay alive. In 1 , 2 and 3 you had to stay alive to use ink ribbon save but now you don't care and sometimes die on purpose to see the kick *** death scenes THAT IS NOT RESIDENT EVIL

The ink ribbons sucked. They just took up space in your inventory. I'm glad they got rid of them.

With the amount of ammo , armour ect.. the enemies drop I wonder is it Resident Evil or Zelda? the first ones did not do this (or when they did it was a rare thing) this takes away the realistic feel the others had (yes zombies ect.. but delt with them in a realistic way) Also that now makes it easier

Again, try a harder difficulty level. The answer to your gripes is right in front of you, yet you keep ignoring that simple answer. And it does make sense for them to drop items, to show they'd been carrying it themselves before you shot them. Makes perfect sense, as opposed to just finding ammo or herbs laying around on the ground.

Even the sound track is bland and looses the suspenseful feel of the original.

HA!

but I'll stop I can easily go on but I agree let's stop. you like it good for you. I don't I think it was very rushed

Fine. It just seems like you're pulling reasons out of your ***. Like I said, I'm convinced you're a Playstation fanboy (which you haven't argued at all), and didn't like the newer RE games (RE0, REmake, or RE4) merely because they all debuted or were exclusive to Gamecube. And thats the lamest reason of all to dislike a videogame (which I'm sure you realize, and which is probably why you didn't respond to that portion of my post).

Just wondering, in your opinion, what is a good game (not related to the RE series)? I ask because I'm trying to understand what you find value in a game, or what makes a good game in your opinion.

And I'm willing to bet money they'll all be Playstation titles.

Last edited:
First I never play resident evil games on easy.

good non-resident evil games?
  • Knights of the old republic
  • Oblivion
  • Mario
  • Sonic
  • The Sims
  • Street fighter II
  • Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 (did not like double-dash)
  • Lego Star wars 1 +2

Even if I don't see what this has to with the topic

So anyone have a favorite boss? I'd have to say mine was the short dude in the captains uniform, can't remember his name though (Balthazar?). Also, the blind mini bosses in the castle with the claws (Garrados?) were scary as hell.

Latest posts

Back