Resident Evil (video game series)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Any Resident Evil fans on the boards? I really got into the series about five years back, when Resident Evil 0 and the remake of the first game came out for the Gamecube. After thoroughly enjoying those, I picked up the direct ports of RE 2, 3, and CODE: Veronica X for the Gamecube. I only recently bought and played RE 4, which was by far the best in the series so far, for way too many reasons to bother listing. I've even bought and played the "side" or "spin-off" games like RE: Survivor (PS), RE: Dead Aim, RE: Outbreak and Outbreak: File 2 (PS2), and the crappy RE: Gaidin (GBA).

Anyway, Resident Evil 5 is scheduled to come out sometime next year for the PS3 and Xbox 360 (sucks it isn't on Wii). However, the Wii will get their own RE title called Umbrella Chronicles, which right now seems to be a FPS re-visioning/summarization of RE 1-4 (each different board in the game will correspond to a specific game, ie the first board will re-tell the first game, the second board will retell the second game, etc).

Looks like I'll have to buy a PS3 after all...which will come in handy for all the PS/PS2 RE games I have (I haven't been able to play any since my good buddy who had a PS2 moved away last year).

I used to play the game with my cousin when I was a kid, the first one that is. My mom never allowed me to have it, but my interest in the game really grew and i played all the games 1,2,3. Not so long ago i bought the forth to ps2, and i love it. Can't wait for nr. 5

I haven't played any of the spin off games but I have played all the main ones. The first one I ever played was RE2 and I thought it was the best thing in the history of ever! RE3 was okay but not stellar, and I've only played halfway through Code Veronica X, but RE4 blew me away. There were so many "HOLY ****!" moments in there.

I own them all except for Gaiden (Which isn't part of the storyline anyways). My favorites are the REmake and RE4. The REmake's atmosphere and story are just awesome. And I could go on and on about the greatness of RE4.

Dead Aim was ok. Survivor was. . .bleh. RE0 was decent, but the story was weird as hell. The two Outbreak games were fun online, but both were stupidly hard. And 2, 3, and CVX were all great, although they're a bit dated now. I really wished they had remade at least 2 and 3. They're still fun, but they could have been amazing with the REmake and RE0's graphics.

As for the new ones. . .RE5 sounds like RE4 in the desert with Chris. Which is fine, as RE4 is just amazingl. Umbrella Chronicles. . .well, at first, I thought it was going to fill in the blanks with Umbrella (Which I really wanted), but I guess not. Still, it does sound fun, especially with the Wiimote's control scheme. And the graphics should at least be as good as RE4, if not slightly better. It'll be fun to replay some of those old levels with a new control scheme.

I haven't played any of the spin off games but I have played all the main ones. The first one I ever played was RE2 and I thought it was the best thing in the history of ever! RE3 was okay but not stellar, and I've only played halfway through Code Veronica X, but RE4 blew me away. There were so many "HOLY ****!" moments in there.

Agreed. I think its safe to say RE4 is considered the best in the series by almost all RE fans, and deservedly so.

CODE: Veronica X I enjoyed. Its one of the longer games besides RE4 (and the REmake if I remember correctly), and a lot of fun. Its story also helps set up a lot of whats going on in RE4 with Wesker.

Lynx said:
I own them all except for Gaiden (Which isn't part of the storyline anyways).

Well, it could be, theoretically. Its always a possibility the surprise ending of Gaiden could be picked up on and expanded (and hopefully resolved) in another game...though I doubt it.

I thinks its generally accepted it isn't a real part of the series, story-wise or gameplay-wise. I'm just saying there's a possibility of some retconning in a future game that might work to include this game in the series.

My favorites are the REmake and RE4. The REmake's atmosphere and story are just awesome. And I could go on and on about the greatness of RE4.

Agreed. The first RE game I ever actually played all the way through was RE0 (I started playing them in chronological order), then the REmake, 2, 3, CV-X, and finally (and most recently) RE4.

Dead Aim was ok.

Eh, it was better than Survivor, but the game itself isn't one of my favorite RE games.

Survivor was. . .bleh.

Utter crap, if you ask me. Another lame RE FPS...at least it made an effort to make the story fit into the existing chronology, however.

RE0 was decent, but the story was weird as hell.

I loved RE0. Like I said, it was the first RE game I played all the way through (I had played the first RE game a bit on the PS when it had first come out at friends' houses, but never really got into it at the time). The leeches did get a bit old after awhile, but the graphics of that game were simply amazing, just like REmake and RE4.

The two Outbreak games were fun online, but both were stupidly hard.

They were supposed to be. After all, if you were just a normal person trying to escape a city full of zombies, would you expect it to be easy or only moderately challenging. ;)

And 2, 3, and CVX were all great, although they're a bit dated now. I really wished they had remade at least 2 and 3. They're still fun, but they could have been amazing with the REmake and RE0's graphics.

Completely agree on all points, though I can understand why Capcom didn't remake 2 and 3. From a business perspective, they'd already roped in new and old fans with RE0 and REmake for the Gamecube, so it was probably felt it would make more sense to merely port the old PS games...admittedly they run much smoother on the Gamecube, so at least there's that.

And Code Veronica got its remake in the form of Code Veronica X (the PS2 port/update of the Dreamcast original CV version). It added a few cutscenes and maybe expanded the adventure itself (can't remember specifically).

As for the new ones. . .RE5 sounds like RE4 in the desert with Chris. Which is fine, as RE4 is just amazingl.

Yup. Though the whole body heat aspect I found interesting. Not only will it be used for heat-sensitive equipment (like gun-scopes), but supposedly in RE5, due to it taking place in a desert-like setting, you'll have to constantly watch the character's body heat to prevent him from over-heating/dehydrating, etc. Hopefully it plays better than it sounds, as running to shade and water-holes constantly will get old kind of quick.

Umbrella Chronicles. . .well, at first, I thought it was going to fill in the blanks with Umbrella (Which I really wanted), but I guess not. Still, it does sound fun, especially with the Wiimote's control scheme. And the graphics should at least be as good as RE4, if not slightly better. It'll be fun to replay some of those old levels with a new control scheme.

My impressions as well. And despite it re-telling some of the older games, I think it will feature cut-scenes and possibly even new story missions which will expand on the RE mythos, focusing on Umbrella's sinister motives and goals.

They were supposed to be. After all, if you were just a normal person trying to escape a city full of zombies, would you expect it to be easy or only moderately challenging.

Meh, RE was never realistic, so why make it now and then screw up the gameplay for some? Haven't tried the game though so i cant really say much about it.

Dude. I got Resident Evil 5 the other day, and I've been playing it .... a LOT. I already beat the story mode, and I'm digging through Mercenaries right now.

It's the best game to come out in a long-time. It feels like it takes everything that was enjoyable about old school Super Nintendo games, polishes them, and throws them in a 3D environment. Discuss!

DIrishB said:
Well, it could be, theoretically. Its always a possibility the surprise ending of Gaiden could be picked up on and expanded (and hopefully resolved) in another game...though I doubt it.

I thinks its generally accepted it isn't a real part of the series, story-wise or gameplay-wise. I'm just saying there's a possibility of some retconning in a future game that might work to include this game in the series.

I felt that RE4 pretty much nixed the idea of Leon being the clone. . .thing. I mean, I guess it could be expanded on, but seeing as its called "Gaiden", I'm going to safely assume that it probably won't be

Eh, it was better than Survivor, but the game itself isn't one of my favorite RE games.

Utter crap, if you ask me. Another lame RE FPS...at least it made an effort to make the story fit into the existing chronology, however.

To this day, I still don't know if Dead Aim is in continuity. I mean, the ending with the T/G Virus just seemed kind of . . . ridiculous. Although, thanks to RE0, we know that Survivor is apart of the timeline and explains the mass production of "Mr. X" Tyrants.

I loved RE0. Like I said, it was the first RE game I played all the way through (I had played the first RE game a bit on the PS when it had first come out at friends' houses, but never really got into it at the time). The leeches did get a bit old after awhile, but the graphics of that game were simply amazing, just like REmake and RE4.

The thing about RE0 is that, if you play it backwards, meaning after the other games, the leech thing and Marcus' involvement seemed kind of . . . out of left field. Still, I did enjoy the game.

They were supposed to be. After all, if you were just a normal person trying to escape a city full of zombies, would you expect it to be easy or only moderately challenging.

I guess . . . I still thought the difficulty was a little too extreme.

Yup. Though the whole body heat aspect I found interesting. Not only will it be used for heat-sensitive equipment (like gun-scopes), but supposedly in RE5, due to it taking place in a desert-like setting, you'll have to constantly watch the character's body heat to prevent him from over-heating/dehydrating, etc. Hopefully it plays better than it sounds, as running to shade and water-holes constantly will get old kind of quick.

I've heard about the heat aspect. It could be interesting. Also, something to note is that RE5 will be a direct continuation of the other games, unlike RE4, which is considered a "side story" (It still happened, but it didn't have a huge bearing on the plot). I assume this means RE5 will be dealing with what happened to Umbrella and Albert Wesker.

My guess? Wesker gains control of Umbrella's assets and creates a new company.

My impressions as well. And despite it re-telling some of the older games, I think it will feature cut-scenes and possibly even new story missions which will expand on the RE mythos, focusing on Umbrella's sinister motives and goals.

I've done my homework on the game, and it appears you're right. The four main "chapters" take place in each of the 4 main games (Not including Zero or Code: Veronica) and expand on Umbrella's history and involvement. You play Chris and Jill in Chapter 1, Leon and Clair in Chapter 2, Jill and Carlos in Chapter 3 and Leon and Ada in Chapter 4. Also, there are a few hidden characters, such as HUNK, Wesker, and Barry that will also have short chapters in-between CV and RE4, illuminating the history of Umbrella even further.

Dude. I got Resident Evil 5 the other day, and I've been playing it .... a LOT. I already beat the story mode, and I'm digging through Mercenaries right now.

It's the best game to come out in a long-time. It feels like it takes everything that was enjoyable about old school Super Nintendo games, polishes them, and throws them in a 3D environment. Discuss!

I think you mean Resident Evil 4, as 5 isn't out yet. Especially since you mentioned the Mercenaries mini-game. But, otherwise, I completely agree. RE4 is an amazing game in all areas.

Last edited:
I think you mean Resident Evil 4, as 5 isn't out yet. Especially since you mentioned the Mercenaries mini-game. But, otherwise, I completely agree. RE4 is an amazing game in all areas.

RE4. Yeah... my bad...

It just reminds me of Contra and all those cool old school games, where you have all these great designs, tight controls, variety all over the place, and giant-*** spectacular bosses that take up whole screens.

Also, mini-bosses. Why are mini-bosses so out of vogue these days?

The two Outbreak games were fun online, but both were stupidly hard.

I found the outbreak games to be easier than the others and my joint favourite

Resident evil 4 if that was the one with out zombies sucked. Seriously who would come up with the idea of resident evil with out zombies must be retarded or something.

Resident evil 1 , 2, 3 on psone = I loved them. I did not like game cube resident evil thou.

Code veronica was pretty cool

Dead aim and survivor were prety cool if you had the gun

resident evil 5 don't interest me.

hated resident evil 0

My favourites are the outbreak games and Resident evil 1 on psone. After the first one thou knew what to expect. First one walking down the corridor when the dogs crashed through the window made me jump:lol: same with a few scenes on one. after that is expected so it lost the jump factor IMO

Resident evil 4 if that was the one with out zombies sucked. Seriously who would come up with the idea of resident evil with out zombies must be retarded or something.

I did not like game cube resident evil thou.

WEJI!? :shock:

Those were the best two!!

If the game was just you fighting zombie hordes then how does that make it any different from Survivor or Dead Aim? The enemies were smart, had weapons and worked together, how is that worse than some shambling zombies? The shooting system was a definant improvement over all other RE games too, it made the enemies right in your face and added to the experience.

If the game was just you fighting zombie hordes then how does that make it any different from Survivor or Dead Aim? The enemies were smart, had weapons and worked together, how is that worse than some shambling zombies? The shooting system was a definant improvement over all other RE games too, it made the enemies right in your face and added to the experience.

and it tied in to the ongoing story of Wesker and Umbrella. Honestly, if you just keep fighting zombies every game, things are going to get stale real quick. RE4 was a smart evolution of the mechanics and storyline.

Meh, RE was never realistic, so why make it now and then screw up the gameplay for some? Haven't tried the game though so i cant really say much about it.

I don't think it was an issue of realism so much as just plain logistics. It makes sense for the STARS/Police/Secret Agent characters of the Resident Evil games to be carrying guns, because thats what they do. But the characters in the Outbreak games (minus the cop character, and maybe one or two others I can't remember) are for the most part normal people, with no direct access to weapons, training, etc. It could be argued its just a reflection of that.

You got RE5? I thought it wasn't coming out until at least next year.

;)

I felt that RE4 pretty much nixed the idea of Leon being the clone. . .thing. I mean, I guess it could be expanded on, but seeing as its called "Gaiden", I'm going to safely assume that it probably won't be

Completely agree, I'm just saying its a possibility...extremely unlikely, but it could be retconned into continuity pretty easily.

To this day, I still don't know if Dead Aim is in continuity. I mean, the ending with the T/G Virus just seemed kind of . . . ridiculous. Although, thanks to RE0, we know that Survivor is apart of the timeline and explains the mass production of "Mr. X" Tyrants.

As far as I know, the only RE game which isn't considered canon is Gaiden. Sure, some are "side" story games and don't feature as part of the main series (Code: Veronica, Survivor, Outbreak), but they're all canon as far as I know.

The thing about RE0 is that, if you play it backwards, meaning after the other games, the leech thing and Marcus' involvement seemed kind of . . . out of left field. Still, I did enjoy the game.

I can completely understand that. After all, RE0 was only the first RE game I played all the way through (to the end...I'd played RE1, 2, and 3 a bit on a friend's Playstation when they all had come out...I'd just never played through them completely until I bought a Gamecube and all the ports for it). I had some experience with the RE zombie-central storyline before playing RE0, so its use of the leeches was a bit strange. The Marcus thing didn't bother me so much only because I hadn't delved into the storyline of the later games yet when playing it...and now can't remember enough of the details to really care either way. I just remember I had a lot of fun playing it.

I guess . . . I still thought the difficulty was a little too extreme.

It probably is...I'll have to check them out. I haven't played either since a little bit after Outbreak File 2 came out.

I've heard about the heat aspect. It could be interesting. Also, something to note is that RE5 will be a direct continuation of the other games, unlike RE4, which is considered a "side story" (It still happened, but it didn't have a huge bearing on the plot). I assume this means RE5 will be dealing with what happened to Umbrella and Albert Wesker.

Yeah, I'd read about that. Also agree about RE4 being more of a "side" game to the main plot of Umbrella Inc. in the other games...but it was intentional, and executed masterfully.

And not for nothing, but instead of wearing out the idea of Umbrella and fans getting sick of it, RE4's real lack of Umbrella (it was minorly touched upon) in the story might have been the perfect route for the developers to take to get fans to look forward to RE5's story. I know I am.

My guess? Wesker gains control of Umbrella's assets and creates a new company.

I hope so. He's only been trying since RE2...and again in Code: Veronica...and again in RE4...

I've done my homework on the game, and it appears you're right. The four main "chapters" take place in each of the 4 main games (Not including Zero or Code: Veronica) and expand on Umbrella's history and involvement. You play Chris and Jill in Chapter 1, Leon and Clair in Chapter 2, Jill and Carlos in Chapter 3 and Leon and Ada in Chapter 4. Also, there are a few hidden characters, such as HUNK, Wesker, and Barry that will also have short chapters in-between CV and RE4, illuminating the history of Umbrella even further.

Hmmm...I hadn't heard as much detail as you provided there, but it pretty much jives with what I read on various other sites. The HUNK, Wesker, and Barry chapters certainly sound very interesting...especially with their proposed place in the RE timeline between CV and RE4.

I can't believe 5 is coming out in 08. So long. :(

A year...a year and a half at most...unless they hold out until the Holiday season of '08...then we're looking at almost two years.

I doubt it though. I think it'll be a second quarter release, so probably sometime in late Spring, early Summer of 2008.

Seriously. . .

BUT! Umbrella Chronicles is set for this summer! WOOT!

Y-Ye-Yeah!!!!!

I found the outbreak games to be easier than the others and my joint favourite

They were still zombies, just not zombies due to the T-Virus. You might want to replay that game. It was by far the best in the series. To each his own, though.

Resident evil 1 , 2, 3 on psone = I loved them. I did not like game cube resident evil thou.

Wha-? You don't like the one with better graphics, and an expanded and overall better executed storyline through full CGI instead of lame live-action (PS1 RE) or dated CGI (RE 2 and 3). You're either out of your mind or an over the top traditionalist.

Code veronica was pretty cool

Alexia is by far the most difficult RE boss in my opinion.

Dead aim and survivor were prety cool if you had the gun

resident evil 5 don't interest me.

hated resident evil 0

My favourites are the outbreak games and Resident evil 1 on psone. After the first one thou knew what to expect. First one walking down the corridor when the dogs crashed through the window made me jump:lol: same with a few scenes on one. after that is expected so it lost the jump factor IMO

You keep saying you hated the Gamecube versions, but why? The REmake was superior in every way to the PS1 version, and 2 and 3 were direct ports, so they're the exact same game as the PS1 versions...not sure how you can dislike the exact same game on different systems. Unless you just don't like the Gamecube.

and it tied in to the ongoing story of Wesker and Umbrella. Honestly, if you just keep fighting zombies every game, things are going to get stale real quick. RE4 was a smart evolution of the mechanics and storyline.

Both of you get a green herb for responding so appropriately...SMOKE UP!!!

You keep saying you hated the Gamecube versions, but why? The REmake was superior in every way to the PS1 version, and 2 and 3 were direct ports, so they're the exact same game as the PS1 versions...not sure how you can dislike the exact same game on different systems. Unless you just don't like the Gamecube.

2 and 3 were yes and that is fine. It was just every other one on game cube I disliked.

Yes the remake of 1 had better graphics and more story but the first one was great why do that? why not just make another game in a different mansion or something than do a extended version of 1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

as for what everyone saying about 4 I just don't like it. I wont play it again.

Last edited:
Yes the remake of 1 had better graphics and more story but the first one was great why do that? why not just make another game in a different mansion or something than do a extended version of 1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

See, I don't mind remakes of games because games usually improve on the original material, unlike a lot of movie remakes. And the REmake did that masterfully. So much so, in fact, I absolutely refuse to play the original anymore. The REmake was just so much better on every imaginable level. The story, the atmosphere, the graphics, the suspense. It was also a lot scarier thanks to all of those.

But, to each his own, I guess. . .

Latest posts

Back