Rob Liefeld Calls at Least 25 Creators Marvel D-List

E

Excelsior Club
This is pretty much the greatest story ever.

One of superstar artist Rob Liefeld's favorite things to tweet about is how awesome Deadpool is, and how awesome that makes Rob Liefeld for creating him. This, of course, is a subset of Rob Liefeld's absolute favorite thing to tweet about, which is how awesome Rob Liefeld is.

Don't get me wrong - this reporter agrees; Liefeld, who writes seventeen current books for DC Comics, is pretty awesome. However, the living legend may have taken things a bit too far this afternoon, when he tweeted, "Testament to Deadpool's appeal and durability is that he thrives regardless of being regulated to D-list talent. Marvel A-list never touches."

Ouch! For those of you keeping track, that D-list apparently includes: Joe Kelly, Daniel Way, Fabian Nicieza, Cullen Bunn, Gail Simone, Duane Swierczynski, Victor Gischler, Mark Waid, Ian Churchill, Joe Madureira, Christopher Priest, Ed McGuinness, Fred Van Lente, Dalibor Tajalic, Jason Aaron, Jason Pearson, David Lapham, Kyle Baker, Bong Dazo, Jimmy Palmiotti, Paco Medina, Reilly Brown, Patrick Zircher, Mark Brooks, and, of course, Rob Liefeld himself.

It's that last name on the list that makes us positive this must have been done in error, as, while Rob Liefeld is never shy about speaking his mind, even about his colleagues in the comic book industry, there is one person we are sure he would never dare to disparage: Rob Liefeld.

Luckily, The Great One Brian Bendis, defender of all that is good and holy in comics, was on Twitter to point out the mistake, saying "wow. shame on you."

The Outhouse will keep you up to date on future developments in all things Liefeld.

UPDATE: The responses have started to roll in:

Dave Johnson ‏@Devilpig666
@robertliefeld Yes!!! I've been elevated to the "D list" of talent. Thanks Rob. Now if I can only learn how to ink while driving a car.

axel alonso ‏@axelalonsomarv
Welcome to the D-list, @GerryDuggan @thebrianposehn @tonymoore! Howdy Doody just put your name on the list.

Rick Remender ‏@Remender
@robertliefeld Lot of talented people you just called out as D-list. Might be a better way to congratulate yourself?

robertliefeld ‏@robertliefeld
@Remender Truth hurts. Did I miss the Brubaker Deadpool arc? The Millar Deadpool arc? The Loeb Deadpool arc. Get over yourself.

And he thinks Jeph Loeb is something other than D-list?

DIrishB said:
I just like that he finished by telling the others to "get over yourself". Awesome.

I had not noticed what an amazing line that is. This story is epic.

I can't think of anyone more irrelevant than Rob Liefeld.

Rob Liefeld is EXTREMELY relevant, just not for the reasons he would hope.

Rob Liefeld is the only artist in the biz who can draw his pages while simultaneously playing darts, reading tabloids for story ideas, and surfing Internet ****. Dude is a true multi-tasking genius. And the half hour or so when he's not sleeping, drawing, darting, reading, and playing with himself, he's blessing the world with his one of a kind insights through Twitter.

He's like the Hunter S. Thompson of comic book art, just with less drugs and nothing much worthwhile to say (unless you read between the lines... that's where the true genius shines through).

See, most don't realize it, but that often ridiculed Captain America profile pic that he drew, where one pectoral muscle looked ridiculously bigger than the other, wasn't unintentionally shoddy pencil work, it was a way ahead of it's time social commentary on the growing divide between the political, financial, and social landscapes of the US.

This guy ****s all over Alan Moore, and wipes his butt with mint copies of Miracleman #15, 1st printings, as the subsequent printings used a rougher paper grain and upset his hemorrhoids, which is where 90% of his brain matter is stored... Orson Scott Card used this as influence for his take on Ultimate Iron Man, coincidentally.

Yeah, I'm actually writing the 7 volume Rob Liefeld biography, which is how I know all this. He also revealed to me that the concept for Deadpool came to him in a dream (along with the cure for AIDS, but since AIDS cures have been out of style since My So Called Life aired, he's put that in the back burner) and ever since he's been mysteriously compelled to draw unnecessary ammunition belts strapped around his characters upper thighs, another genius commentary on the military industrial complex and German fetish fashion.

Last edited:
This is possibly the most ironic statement ever.

Deadpool didn't have any relevance until he was written as a parody of mid-nineties adolescent excess.

i.e. Deadpool didn't matter until he became a tool to make fun of everything Liefeld and his contemporaries represented.

IMG_0038.jpg

I actually read the preview for that book on CBR or whatever. I never thought I'd read anything that actually seemed to make Ultimates 3 not so bad after all. Of course it is, but it is literally as if Liefeld hasn't evolved as an artist or writer AT ALL in 20 years. He still writes like an unintelligent 12 year old, drowning in pointless cliches and eye-rolling dialogue. And his artwork is even worse. The guy has no concept whatsoever of proportion. Lobo looks like he has midget arms.

How is the guy still working in the industry? What kind of gluttons for punishment are spending money on his books?

I actually read the preview for that book on CBR or whatever. I never thought I'd read anything that actually seemed to make Ultimates 3 not so bad after all. Of course it is, but it is literally as if Liefeld hasn't evolved as an artist or writer AT ALL in 20 years. He still writes like an unintelligent 12 year old, drowning in pointless cliches and eye-rolling dialogue. And his artwork is even worse. The guy has no concept whatsoever of proportion. Lobo looks like he has midget arms.

How is the guy still working in the industry? What kind of gluttons for punishment are spending money on his books?

So true. Worse still, someone at DC actually looks at this rubbish and says "This is GREAT! Get this man more titles to work on!" It's beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
So true. Worse still, someone at DC actually looks at this rubbish and says "This is GREAT! Get this man more titles to work on!" It's beyond comprehension.

Seriously. I understand that not every book can have top tier talent on them and that Liefeld has his fans, but he seems to have many, many more detractors who would never dream of spending money on a book that has his name on it.

While reading one of the coverages on this, my friend at the LCS saw someone's comment say that they defend and back-up Liefield, everyone else is a hater, and that if people want to see someone who's really terrible to see JH William III's art.

I can't remember where I saw this, but this was an actual comment.

Latest posts

Back