Runaways Vol. 3 (Terry Moore/Humberto Ramos) (Spoilers)

Mixed feelings on the first issue.

Chase was off. Way off. Unless this is the Chase from before Gert died. Then he's dead on accurate. I didn't dislike it. I loved Chase as a character back when he was the airhead goofball that Moore has returned him to, but I also liked the more serious guy that he became after her death. I'm worried that Moore will waste a lot of great character development in an effort to give the book the lighter tone it used to have, but I also think that might not be a bad thing. And I could just be totally overreacting since this is only the first issue. So for now I will reserve judgment on the Chase issue.

Aside from Chase I think the characterization in this issue was dead on. Nico, Molly, Karolina, Victor, and Xavin are instantly more enjoyable than they've been in, oh I don't know, 6 issues or so. I actually enjoyed Klara in this issue. Skotti should be pleased with the lack of racist/homophobic statements on her part and there wasn't a single mention of her being the child bride of an abusive middle aged man. Personally I hope that part of her past continues to be selectively forgotten since it kind of sucked. I also hope they don't play the she's-from-the-past-and-doesn't-understand-our-futuristic-world card too many times, but right out of the gate it's not bad. Also I have to offer a retraction for calling her powers useless since the scene in the mall was pretty cool.

The DJ bit was dumb, I hope it goes somewhere more entertaining than it was in this issue. The aliens are slightly more entertaining, even if they are just as cliché. I love that they're back in LA and I love that I wasn't bored out of my skull while reading this. So it's already a step up from Whedon.

4/5 Tafts

I have to agree, I approve, but then again, I've always liked Terry Moore's writing. Now... Ramos, he's hit and miss for me.

I didn't care much for Runaways before. I really don't care for it now.

I realize Humberto Ramos' art appeals to some people, but I really can't stand cartoony art. I flipped through the first issue and it was boring, which i was expecting, and the art does absolutely nothing for me.

I liked everything about the second issue...besides the fact that Nico does an awful lot of yelling. Odd way to end it, but I'm sold....as long as Karolina's parents don't show up.

Nice Chase joke on the Skrulls always invading.

Even liked the art, outside of one Nico screaming panel.

Good issue.

RUNAWAYS #7
Written by TERRY MOORE
Penciled by TAKESHI MIYAZAWA
Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS
The spookiest Runaways tale ever starts here! The Val Rhymin subplot has been brewing since issue one and peeks here! Chase's boss is not what he seems! Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise, Echo) welcomes former RUNAWAYS artist Takeshi Miyazawa aboard for this creepy tale of magic and mayhem!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99
**** yes.

I know he's just filling in for Ramos because he is teh slow, but still I thoroughly enjoyed Miyazawa when he filled in for Alphona in the original run and I loved his work on the Young Avengers/Runaways Secret Invasion tie in. Ramos is definately the weak link so far in the new Runaways team. I hope someone over at Marvel sees how much better Miyazawa is so we can get a better permanent team on one of my favorite series.

**** yes.

I know he's just filling in for Ramos because he is teh slow, but still I thoroughly enjoyed Miyazawa when he filled in for Alphona in the original run and I loved his work on the Young Avengers/Runaways Secret Invasion tie in. Ramos is definately the weak link so far in the new Runaways team. I hope someone over at Marvel sees how much better Miyazawa is so we can get a better permanent team on one of my favorite series.
Awesome news. :rockon:

RUNAWAYS #9
Written by TERRY MOORE
Penciled by TAKESHI MIYAZAWA
Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS
Wolverine Art Appreciation Variant by DAVID LAFUENTE
Chase's boss, evil shock-jock Val Rhymin, has raised a magical army of plastic-surgery zombies and is taking over Los Angeles by force. Only the Runaways can stop him. Don't miss the exciting conclusion of Terry Moore's (Strangers in Paradise, Echo) run, pardon the pun, on RUNAWAYS!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99
Thank God.

Hopefully he'll take Ramos with him. The alien arc has bored me to tears. Val Rhymin is one of the worst ideas ever. And it's all looked RIDICULOUS. Cartoony is one thing, but I can barely figure out what is happening in half the panels.

I'll give the current team this much, it was better than Whedon. Not that being better than the worst arc in series history is hard. Now hopefully they can find someone who actually wants to write this book for more than a few months. Is that hard? Why can't anyone stick with our Runaways?

Miyazawa for the win

sketchtakeshimiyazawa.jpg

I'll give the current team this much, it was better than Whedon. Not that being better than the worst arc in series history is hard. Now hopefully they can find someone who actually wants to write this book for more than a few months. Is that hard? Why can't anyone stick with our Runaways?

Yost is going to be next, just watch.

I hope Miyazawa stays on as the permanent artist for whoever writes the book.

Or Karolina will get assassinated by religious zealots.

Or Chase will get stabbed through the chest by a lameass Wolverine villain.

Or Xavin's arm will get cut off and it'll grow back all badass and dragony!

On a slightly unrelated note, I read the What If story where they become the Young Avengers written by CB Cebulski.

It was fun. Especially Molly punching out Victorious.

I just got caught up on the first six issues of Moore's run. It was way better than Whedon's, and I thought he did a good job with the character's personalities. I also liked how Nico's magic can be a double edged sword if she's not careful. However, I never really felt that the Majesdine soldiers ever really posed a significant threat to the Runaways, and while Ramos' art was tolerable for basic character interactions, his action sequences need to be a lot less cluttered.

Latest posts

Back