Runaways Vol. 3 (Terry Moore/Humberto Ramos) (Spoilers)

Terry Moore knows how to win me over like few writers in comics.
runawyv3001int8tf7.jpg

Look Kids! It's Kevin Smith!!!

I'm so ****ing down for this run now.

I would like to read this but I haven't read Whedon's run yet and I'm sort of put off doing this because of how bad it sounds. Is it going to be required reading?

Read it. Chase's gauntlets are no where to be seen. It's not horrible. I still don't like the art, especially for Nico or Chase since those two seem to be drawn differently every panel.

The plot of the issue is, find a hideout (they do), get Chase a job (he does), and Karolina's people are angry and show up blowing up parts of the new hideout making it null and void.

It's got some good dialogue. I'm feeling optimistic about the run, but I'm really not digging the art. At times it seems to work but at others...I just can't get over it. People's faces are made of elastic tending to be stretched out beyond belief or scrunched up.

3/5 good opening. Could be the beginnings of a really solid run...but it's too early to claim this is up the Vaughan's standards.

Neet, a 12-year old, racist homophobe on the team. How sweet.

It's more quaint than sweet.

"Aw, she hates people that are different. How adorable!"

Useless.

I think she needs a catch phrase....

Chase Stein as Captain America? Maybe Captain America from Easy Rider. That'd be cool. But that's interesting.... I always figured him as an Iron Man. His parents were the gadgeteer archetype villains, right?

I want to see Nico grow up to be the new Dr. Strange.

OTOH, part of what's so appealing about the book is them being contrary to the classic heroes, so maybe not.

Last edited:
In the latest issue she's not really protrayed as quaint as much as....well,

Molly: "TVs are like YouTube for old people."
Klara: "What's a your tube?"

She's played kinda like an idiot.

That sounds quaint to me.

****, my grandma doesn't know what Youtube is and she wasn't even zapped from the past 3 days ago.

Last edited:

Well, she is from 100 years ago. So, what else do you expect her to be, with all these new things she never even imagined? Of course, that is the expected route... but it is probably the one that makes the most sense.

Really enjoyed the new issue. The coloring during the night scenes was murky at times, and the writing is nowhere as good as Vaughan's, but it's a Runaways masterpiece so far compared to Whedon/Ryan's run. This is also the best art I've seen from Ramos. I really hope the title sees a little sales bump so we don't have another hiatus/cancellation again anytime in the near future.

4.25/5

Mixed feelings on the first issue.

Chase was off. Way off. Unless this is the Chase from before Gert died. Then he's dead on accurate. I didn't dislike it. I loved Chase as a character back when he was the airhead goofball that Moore has returned him to, but I also liked the more serious guy that he became after her death. I'm worried that Moore will waste a lot of great character development in an effort to give the book the lighter tone it used to have, but I also think that might not be a bad thing. And I could just be totally overreacting since this is only the first issue. So for now I will reserve judgment on the Chase issue.

Aside from Chase I think the characterization in this issue was dead on. Nico, Molly, Karolina, Victor, and Xavin are instantly more enjoyable than they've been in, oh I don't know, 6 issues or so. I actually enjoyed Klara in this issue. Skotti should be pleased with the lack of racist/homophobic statements on her part and there wasn't a single mention of her being the child bride of an abusive middle aged man. Personally I hope that part of her past continues to be selectively forgotten since it kind of sucked. I also hope they don't play the she's-from-the-past-and-doesn't-understand-our-futuristic-world card too many times, but right out of the gate it's not bad. Also I have to offer a retraction for calling her powers useless since the scene in the mall was pretty cool.

The DJ bit was dumb, I hope it goes somewhere more entertaining than it was in this issue. The aliens are slightly more entertaining, even if they are just as cliché. I love that they're back in LA and I love that I wasn't bored out of my skull while reading this. So it's already a step up from Whedon.

4/5 Tafts

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back