Scott Pilgrim (spoilers!)

Re: Scott Pilgrim

MY ****ING COPY HASN'T COME IN THE ****ING MAIL AND IM JUST ABOUT READY TO GO CRAZY!!!

But yeah... It's out...

Just read the hell out of Volume Four, which I will reread extensively when I get back to school and have all of the volumes together and whatnot...

PLUSES:
Lisa Miller was awesome (Not ALL smokers are evil in the Pilgrimverse)
Scott was totally awesome
Knives' Dad is kickassimification embodied
KNIVES AND KIM TOTALLY MAKE OUT! OMG!
COLOR PAGES!!!!

MINUSES:
Should have had more Wallace... But I am madly in love with Wallace, so I guess i'm a little biased.
The Evil Ex-"Boyfriend" was a little underwhelming, but the final battle was totally kickass and awesome

AWESOME/10

(Awesome is situated somewhere beyond countable numbers)

I want Volume Five now please...

Just read the hell out of Volume Four, which I will reread extensively when I get back to school and have all of the volumes together and whatnot...

PLUSES:
Lisa Miller was awesome (Not ALL smokers are evil in the Pilgrimverse)
Scott was totally awesome
Knives' Dad is kickassimification embodied
KNIVES AND KIM TOTALLY MAKE OUT! OMG!
COLOR PAGES!!!!

MINUSES:
Should have had more Wallace... But I am madly in love with Wallace, so I guess i'm a little biased.
The Evil Ex-"Boyfriend" was a little underwhelming, but the final battle was totally kickass and awesome

AWESOME/10

(Awesome is situated somewhere beyond countable numbers)

I want Volume Five now please...

I agree 200%, Lisa Miller was an excellent character, the inclusion of the color pages completely surprised me and was awesome, Scott said the L-word and I loved the Evil Ex-"Boyfriend" reveal. Knives' dad was completely kickass, and the scene where he cuts through the street car and Scott and Kim escape through the subspace doorway is one of my favorites.

Once again I love how all of the main characters grow with each volume. Kim moves into a new house, Sex Bob-Omb starts to record (mostly through Stephen Stills efforts), Scott and Ramona have a fight and clear that hurdle, Knives gets over Scott, Wallace didn't do much but he stole every scene he was in, and Scott Pilgrim finally gets it together.

OMFG Kim and Knives making out!!
Even more OMFG, Knives and Stephen Stills!!!!!!!

I don't know why but every time I read this volume, I'm pumped up afterwards. Vol. 5 can't come soon enough.

Just picked up Vol 1 and finished it. Tried not to read any spoilers for the future from this thread. I enjoyed it, but i thought it was odd that most of it was a real-world teen relationship story, then in the last act, with no warning, all the video-game/rock fantasy elements just... appear. Maybe the abrupt, matter-of-course introduction of those elements was the whole point? But because there was no precedent, I was a little more overwhelmed with WTF than i was with awesome. Still fun, though.

Wallace Wells is my hero...

I had that avatar for over a year too. I'll prolly switch back to it in anticipation for Scott Pilgrim vol. 5.

W00t!!

Holy crap. I just typed W00t and Firefox didn't underline it as being spelled incorrectly. I guess when you make it into the dictionary, you make it into the dictionary.

Meh.

I mean, I love Michael Cera, and we all know how much I love Scott Pilgrim (I will give you a hint, I love it so bad that I dream about the characters sometimes), but NOTHING in Cera's work has shown that he has the exuberence to pull off the character of Scott Pilgrim. I can kind of see what sort of character they might turn him into, but Scott needs to be pure energy, and I sure as hell can't picture Cera in a fight scene.

So color me nervous.... I will definitely see it, but I will just have to see who else they cast in this.

Mary%20Elizabeth%20Winstead2.jpg

Mary Elizabeth Winstead will play Ramona Flowers.

I basically agree with everything DSF said about Cera being cast. I honestly wish they'd get somebody else; either a talented newcomer, or maybe Anton Yelchin. But hey, it's acting, right? Just because Cera doesn't have the track record for it, it doesn't mean he won't pull it off. I'm just worried about the fight scenes lacking credibility. But whatever.

Winstead is definitely not my first choice for Ramona. But I suspect she'll be able to sell the role convincingly enough.

I'm just gonna have to put my faith in Wright's ability to direct them, really. At least he's got a firm history of getting his cast to turn on the right kind of charm.

EDIT: Here's one authoritative report confirming Winstead as Ramona, in case anybody thought that might still be rumors/speculation: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3iddf6bb69274592b70ef8a3c006e3681f

Last edited:

I think that whoever they cast as Wallace will make or break this movie.

I'm actually not being facetious here. He can't be a gay stereotype, he needs to be better looking than all of the other male characters (at least taking the most care of himself physically), he needs to be smart and calculating and be a good mentor/boss/friend figure all at the same time.

I can't think of any established actor who could pull it off who's in the age-group they seem to be casting here.

Casting Knives is also problematic. It'll be interesting to see what they do with her.

Also: Envy Adams should be played by Scarlett Johannsen.

Anyone who isn't reading Scott Pilgrim is ten kinds of lame.

EDIT: And The movie is now titled "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"

Last edited:

Anyone who liked Nextwave should be reading Scott Pilgrim.

Actually, everyone ever should read Scott Pilgrim, but especially those people.

Scott Pilgrim is AMAZING. I started reading with absolutely no idea what it's about. It starts off like a romance/drama/comedy and I thought it was slow, but good. Then events begin to unfold. Okay, it's a little bit like xkcd. I like that.

And then it descends into all-out Nextwave insanity. But despite all this, despite 64 hits and a bonus life and a half-ninja and vegan powers, it's realistic. These are people you know and awkward dirty rooms you've sat in with your exes (well, I'm not speaking from personal experience on that).

And DSF is right. Wallace Wells is king--but not in a way that makes you go "God, Scott sucks. Why isn't this about Wallace?" And he's not a perfect author avatar.

The insanity and the realism play off each other, striking a brilliant and wonderful balance between being like real life--boring and relatable--and being like Nextwave--made of awesome, but ultimately shallow.

CHAU DOWN!

Yay! Twi's back(ish)!

Anyone who liked Nextwave should be reading Scott Pilgrim.

Actually, everyone ever should read Scott Pilgrim, but especially those people.

I've been meaning to get Nextwave but just haven't got around to it.

I picked up all four volumes last week. I haven't read Volume 4 yet, but. . .

Scott Pilgrim is, quite possibly, the best comic ever. Is it sad that I can relate to Scott? That I pretty much get all the video game references?

Latest posts

Back