Re: The Shadowland - Marvel's 2010 Comic Event.

I'd hate to lose Bullseye as a character... But it would make perfect sense. I'd prefer him to snap and kill Lady Bullseye, but obviously the original is the one who's earned the spot more than the rest.

Y'know, these big events would be more palatable if, once a year, they released a 200-page graphic novel that told a complete story. Just one. As it is, by dragging them out over months and months, there's no time in between events for anything other than bookends prologuing or epiloguing events.

according to the new issue of Nova pparently the Inhuman Queen Medusa is going to die in something called the "Shadow War" might be part of this but it's more likely that it's the next Annihilation/Conquest/War of Kings event

Doubt it, this is Street heroes stuff .

Y'know, these big events would be more palatable if, once a year, they released a 200-page graphic novel that told a complete story. Just one. As it is, by dragging them out over months and months, there's no time in between events for anything other than bookends prologuing or epiloguing events.

I think the trick is to compartmentalize events. If you do a street level event one year, an Avengers focused one another, something dealing with the X-Men the next, then you still get your sales figures and you also give your different editorial lines room to breathe. That way you can use the events to launch the direction a creative team goes with a book and then let them develop said direction over an extended period of time instead of just coming out of an event and then treading water until the next event comes around and knocks everything you've built up down.

Or you can put full directional control over a small team of creators. See the greatness that is cosmic Marvel. Granted, such a thing wouldn't work for the bigger lines.

Last edited:

I think the trick is to compartmentalize events. If you do a street level event one year, an Avengers focused one another, something dealing with the X-Men the next, then you still get your sales figures and you also give your different editorial lines room to breathe. That way you can use the events to launch the direction a creative team goes with a book and then let them develop said direction over an extended period of time instead of just coming out of an event and then treading water until the next event comes around and knocks everything you've built up down.

Or you can put full directional control over a small team of creators. See the greatness that is cosmic Marvel. Granted, such a thing wouldn't work for the bigger lines.

I was just about to say this. One of the things I liked about Blackest night was that it wasn't crisis level "everything will be changed forever" Other than a few people being alive the only real ripple happen in green Lantern. Having a part of the universe undergo an event leaves most characters to continue in the direction they've been headed. I doubt Shadowland will "change the status quo forever for the entire universe" but a few character will experience a change while the rest just continue as they were.

Smaller less drastic changes is the key

Last edited:

Exactly, and smaller events mean that you can tailor them to fit the direction desired by the creative team involved. Instead of, for instance, Bendis hijacking Thor and destroying Asgard for his event. I wasn't a big fan of Blackest Night as a story, but from an editorial direction, I think it was well executed.

DC seems to have taken a sensible route with this, from a purely logistical standpoint, although I haven't been particularly thrilled with the execution of their event stories, aside from Final Crisis.

Last edited:

Exactly, and smaller events mean that you can tailor them to fit the direction desired by the creative team involved. Instead of, for instance, Bendis hijacking Thor and destroying Asgard for his event. I wasn't a big fan of Blackest Night as a story, but from an editorial direction, I think it was well executed.

DC seems to have taken a sensible route with this, from a purely logistical standpoint, although I haven't been particularly thrilled with the execution of their event stories, aside from Final Crisis.

You mean stuff like Doomwar, Fall of the Hulks and The X-Events? Stuff that is self contained like that?

Siege is also mostly contained to Avengers related titles.

You mean stuff like Doomwar, Fall of the Hulks and The X-Events? Stuff that is self contained like that?

X-Men have always been their own thing, but yeah. I forgot about Doomwar and FotH because they aren't very good.

Although, I think there's a distinction with Doomwar. It's not really a "line-wide event" so much as it is a Black Panther book that guest stars the X-Men. It's a different beast, much like the Legendary Weapons one shots, or Ghost Rider: Heaven's on Fire, or the prior Agents of Atlas crossovers where they take a storyline that could have been contained in a book, suspend said book, and shuttle it over to a miniseries, presumably to boost up sales. Any of these stories aren't really "crossovers". Instead, they're just story arcs that could have just as easily be folded in their own books.

Siege is also mostly contained to Avengers related titles.

Well, except Siege plays into the whole status quo of Dark Reign. It ushers a major tonal shift company-wide by usurping the whole Osborne thing and it turns the Thor mythology onto its head. It's kind of hard to detach Siege from Dark Reign, which has affected practically everything in the universe.

Well, except Siege plays into the whole status quo of Dark Reign. It ushers a major tonal shift company-wide by usurping the whole Osborne thing and it turns the Thor mythology onto its head. It's kind of hard to detach Siege from Dark Reign, which has affected practically everything in the universe.

Specially since Heroic Age is basically the new status quo created from Siege. It affects the entire line and potential other naturally progressing stories

Specially since Heroic Age is basically the new status quo created from Siege. It affects the entire line and potential other naturally progressing stories

I also wouldn't be surprised if Captain America: Reborn and the fact that the last Iron Man story was padded out to twelve issues didn't have something to do with lining up the timing for Siege.

Last edited:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Captain America: Reborn and the fact that the last Iron Man story was padded out to twelve issues didn't have something to do with lining up the timing for Siege.

oh, i'm sure they were.

SHADOWLAND_Teasera_02.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Shadowland

Who drew that? It's really good.

y'know, these big events would be more palatable if, once a year, they released a 200-page graphic novel that told a complete story. Just one. As it is, by dragging them out over months and months, there's no time in between events for anything other than bookends prologuing or epiloguing events.

exactly!

Re: Shadowland

Who drew that? It's really good.

I don't know. Billy Tan and John Cassaday are doing the covers but it doesn't really look like either of them.

Latest posts

Back