Smallville (spoilers)

I tried getting into Smallville back when season five was airing. It was awful and depressing. Except there were also a few episodes that were cool. Like when he met the flash, as you said.

Every once in a while I'll get the urge and watch a season in about a week, but then I can't take it anymore for several months. I've watched the first three seasons in the past two years, possessed witch Lana is next season.

Every once in a while I'll get the urge and watch a season in about a week, but then I can't take it anymore for several months.

Bingo.

Except I can never bring myself to watch anything past the 2nd season other than a few key episodes.

Meanwhile, my infatuation for Allison Mack is growing hard.

Ooooo...double entendre.

I think what pisses me off the hardest about this show is that it continuously shows so much potential and promises so much and every season you think "This is it. This is where he's going to become SUPERMAN!" and then they just let us all down again, with filler episodes and "maybe, maybe, MAYBE...no" moments.

I mean between seasons 3 and 8, basically nothing has happened, except the Justice League and something about Lex going missing/dying (but that has happened at the start of literally every single season). The only thing noteworthy about season nine is that Clark is actually wearing some semblance of a costume now.

This is the longest-running Superman show ever, when it should have been the shortest. You could easily condense all of the great moments in this show into a 12-hour miniseries.

Last edited:
I think what pisses me off the hardest about this show is that it continuously shows so much potential and promises so much and every season you think "This is it. This is where he's going to become SUPERMAN!" and then they just let us all down again, with filler episodes and "maybe, maybe, MAYBE...no" moments.

I mean between seasons 3 and 8, basically nothing has happened, except the Justice League and something about Lex going missing/dying (but that has happened at the start of literally every single season). The only thing noteworthy about season nine is that Clark is actually wearing some semblance of a costume now.

This is the longest-running Superman show ever, when it should have been the shortest.

Word, they definitely should have made a road map with a point where he becomes Superman. They have to be willing to go through with that. And it's not like that's a bad thing, it just means you continue the series as Metropolis. It just wears the patients of the viewers, I can't care about it at all

Word, they definitely should have made a road map with a point where he becomes Superman. They have to be willing to go through with that. And it's not like that's a bad thing, it just means you continue the series as Metropolis. It just wears the patients of the viewers, I can't care about it at all

The argument for years was "Oh, but Superman in tights, flying around wouldn't work on today's TV."

Bull****. TV is a better medium for Superman than movies and they could easily make a great Superman show, today and 'Metropolis' would have been an awesome name for one.

Last edited:
The argument for years was "Oh, but Superman in tights, flying around wouldn't work on today's TV."

Bull****. TV is a better medium for Superman than movies and they could easily make a great Superman show, today and 'Metropolis' would have been an awesome name for one.

Superman without the costume IS NOT Superman

This is the longest-running Superman show ever, when it should have been the shortest. You could easily condense all of the great moments in this show into a 12-hour miniseries.

And meanwhile I believe the opposite....

On Smallville, Clark should NEVER don the costume. We could see the costume presented to him. But never wear it. The final episode (2hr series finale) should play out like the 1st episode of Lois and Clark. In fact the very last scene should be his mom giving him the costume and fade to black as we see Clark's eyes light up and he smiles.

But then again there's a LOT of things I'd do different with the show.

The reason why is because the shows tagline is "before Metropolis...there was Smallville". The "place and time in Clark's life where he learned who he was and how to use his powers". Not "the time in Clark's life where he learned to use his powers to battle crazy Kryptonite freaks of the week and villains he shouldn't be facing until he's ACTUALLY Superman."

I don't have a problem really with him meeting other people with powers like Flash or Aquaman or even Green Arrow. But what I do have a problem with is that they've had 9 years to give fanboys the meeting of The Trinity. And instead they give Cyborg.

Fail Smallville. Cameo fail.

Instead the show is Clark whining about what to do and then a bunch of superpower cockteasing. Its like dating a 15 year old girl. A lot of whining...a lot of teasing but no payoff. And the closest we came to getting the payload was when he was possessed and flew. It was the equivelant of getting head. Close...but not the real thing.

To me the show started failing when they introduced "The Kryptonian Caves" and then continued to fail when they brought the love of his life into his life at 17! From then on they were only destined to fail.

Again they keep stepping away from the general idea of "BEFORE he was Superman".

On Smallville, Clark should NEVER don the costume. We could see the costume presented to him. But never wear it. The final episode (2hr series finale) should play out like the 1st episode of Lois and Clark. In fact the very last scene should be his mom giving him the costume and fade to black as we see Clark's eyes light up and he smiles.

I think you misunderstood me. I never really wanted Smallville to be a show where Clark IS Superman, rather just a show that continuously shows him becoming Superman instead of just 'The Adventures of Superman when he was a boy/teen/man-child', which is what the show very quickly became.

I do think that they should at least show him wearing the suit.

Instead the show is Clark whining about what to do and then a bunch of superpower cockteasing. Its like dating a 15 year old girl. A lot of whining...a lot of teasing but no payoff. And the closest we came to getting the payload was when he was possessed and flew. It was the equivelant of getting head. Close...but not the real thing.

I just burst out laughing in my computer lab. This is the greatest sum-up of this show, ever.

Last edited:

That is what the show should be but there's a point where you have to do that, the concept is pretty finite there's a point where that finale needs to happen and they should have been writing to that ending instead of giving a us a ton of crap storylines that often get ridiculous. And what annoys be is they think the show is over when Smallville ends. The could still easily continue under a new title but they don't really seem to see this and are afraid of ending and as a result this potentially brilliant show turns to crap.

Also the last shot has to have him flying in costume.

Yeah.

The consensus seems to be "Well, if we turn him into Superman, then the show would have to end and no one wants that to happen." When the very opposite has always, always been the truth, even when the show was really good.

I think you misunderstood me. I never really wanted Smallville to be a show where Clark IS Superman, rather just a show that continuously shows him becoming Superman instead of just 'The Adventures of Superman when he was a boy/teen/man-child', which is what the show very quickly what he became.

Ah I see.

And essentially that's what the show was (give or take) the first 2 seasons. I can understand the reasoning for introducing "meteor freaks of the week". A show about a boy who has the powers of the greatest hero ever known....and its wasted on a couple muggers or running really fast to save Lana's stupid ass? Pass.

So the freak of the week concept is forgiven.

I do think that they should at least show him wearing the suit.

I am so adamant about him not wearing the suit on the show.

We know the end story. I don't need (nor want) to see him in the suit. I think it would actually take away from the idea of the show.

I agree about the freaks of the week, as well. I even thought it was kind of cool in Season Two where Clark got trapped in the insane asylum (or whatever) where all the meteor-freaks go and he had to battle a load of them again. It was the show actually being unique and making its own villains, rather than just ruining ones from the comics.

Other than Luthor, the best villains on Lois & Clark were the original ones.

I think the show's two main problems were:
It turned into a superhero teen soap opera very quickly. That's the element that turns me off the most every time I try to watch it. I get SOOO irritated by the trashy teen angst.

I love Lana I love Lana Chloe loves me, but I love Lana, Lana loves Whitney (he's a dude), oohh, cute Native chick...crap she's a skin walker and she dies, I love Lana Lana, Whitney dies, Lana is showing interest in me...Whitney is back? Nope, it's a shapeshifting girl who's obsessed with Lana, What's going on between me and Lana? We're just friends...Nope, I love her...She loves me! Chloe loves me too though and now she's hurt. I push Lana away. She still loves me. I still love her. We're just friends. She's interested in another guy. But he died months ago of a rare liver disease and is only being kept alive by an experimental serum made from my blood. (Not to mention he's Boone from Lost). Hot teleporting girl is making out with me in my bed?!?! Crap, she's crazy. Chloe still loves me, but...Pete loves Chloe and is jealous of me *sigh* I want to be with Lana again. Lana doesn't want to be with me any more. She's leaving for Paris. Lana gets possessed by the spirt of a witch. I save her eventually. Who's that annoying Lois girl? Lana and I are friends again. We date again. But I'm not honest with her, she gets frustrated. She grows close to Lex (who used to be my best friend...) Obsessed but hot teleporting girl comes back and uses red kryptonite on me. We get married in Vegas. I come to my senses and the marriage is annulled. I decide to tell Lana the truth about me. She dies. I go back in time and don't tell her the truth. She hates me and my dad dies instead...crap. Lana marries Lex and is pregnant with his baby... WHAT?!?

the other problem is that they're just milking it. You can only tell the story of Clark before he becomes Superman foe so long. The show should have grown up with Clark and evolved into a show about Superman.

Hawkman in Smallville
hawkmansmallville.jpg

I don't think I've mentioned this, but this show has really improved over the last few episodes.

Yes, Clark is wearing a Neo-like suit, but at least he actually is a superhero now (with a superhero name) and is making genuine progress towards becoming the greatest superhero ever (which is presumably the point where he becomes Superman, cape and tights, et al). Plus (and this is the best part) the writers are making a genuine effort to build up the S shield as an iconic symbol, recognisable to everyone in Metropolis, if not the world.

I'm really liking where they're going with it. The last two episodes have been quite good and jam-packed with movie and comics lore (Zod even wore his military uniform from World of New Krypton in the last episode).

Meh, I even thought they worked pretty well, for what they were. There was no real reason for them to be there really, but Clark's speech to them at the end was awesome and proof of how far he's come and how close he is to being Superman.

The episodes 'Society' and 'Legends' (both written by Geoff Johns) are now going to be edited together as one, two-hour movie called 'Absolute Justice'. If The CW have that much faith in it, maybe it'll be pretty cool.

Even Hawkman is true to the look of the character and they're not just giving us the "shiny hoody/jeans" look they've done for every other hero they've showcased on the show:

9395keck_lg_hawkman.jpg

He does look a bit too much like the hawkmen from the Flash Gordon movie, but he still looks pretty good. And it's only concept art, as well.

I'm not expecting it to be really good, but it should at least be very watchable, superhero fun (which is what this season has been so far and a huge step up from previous seasons, in my opinion).

That being said, I love this quote from a poster on Superhero Hype:

Is this another product placement attempt? Get your Absolute Vodka and catch Smallville: Absolute Justice on Feb 5th and pick up a pack of peppermint Stride gum to create a peppermint schnaps experience!

:lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back