Spider-Man Spider-Man: The Clone Saga series discussion (Yep you read that right)

Gemini

Starting in September Marvel will be pulling another "X-Men Forever" by letting Tom DeFalco and Howard Mackie (with art by Todd Nauck) re-tell the Clone Saga as it was originally intended. The series will run 6 issue's.

normal_spidermanclonesaga.jpg

Linkage:
http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/06/13/rumor-mill-is-marvel-revisiting-the-clone-saga/#comment-466124

Two things: That cover is great Ferry rules, and after reading "The Life of Reilly" column telling the back-stage goings on and such I am convinced that The Clone Saga could have been a good story if not for Editorial meddling (Just like everything Spider-Related for quite awhile now)

So I"ll read it, won't say I'm excited because I'd rather they just take the character and dust him off in ASM and just run with the character not looking back on his pas. But this will be just as good I suppose.

This combined with Ben's appearence in that Spider-Man/X-Men mini by Gage and Alberti, and Guggenheim spilling an upcoming ASM story called "Who Is Ben Reilly". I wouldn't be surprised to see the character back in full force within the year.

I always thought the costume was pretty cool.

It's at this point E would say this is what's wrong with comic book fans.

I loved the Clone Saga.

But Tom Defalco - one of the worst writers EVER - retelling his own story? Ugh.

I'll read it out of morbid curiosity, but I would prefer of a good writer was retelling this instead.

Here's my question...
is Peter Parker married to MJ in this miniseries?
If not, then is this the official story in Brand New Day cannon?

either way, I'm actually kind of excited for this.

Probably going to be the Clone-Saga re-told with BND in mind so it can lead into a Ben Reserrection at the end of the year at some point.

So Peter won't punch pregnant mary-jane in the stomach after freaking out when he finds out that he is the clone. and Aunt May probably won't be dead ....again

I loved the Clone Saga.

But Tom Defalco - one of the worst writers EVER - retelling his own story? Ugh.

I'll read it out of morbid curiosity, but I would prefer of a good writer was retelling this instead.

Agreed! Even if the Clone Saga was, at its core, a pretty decent idea, DeFalco is an awful writer. At least he is from everything I've seen. I hear Spider-Girl is alright, but it's not exactly my kind of book.

Here's my question...
is Peter Parker married to MJ in this miniseries?
If not, then is this the official story in Brand New Day cannon?

either way, I'm actually kind of excited for this.

Probably going to be the Clone-Saga re-told with BND in mind so it can lead into a Ben Reserrection at the end of the year at some point.

So Peter won't punch pregnant mary-jane in the stomach after freaking out when he finds out that he is the clone. and Aunt May probably won't be dead ....again

Well, if they're comparing it to X-Men Forever, then it will most likely take place outside of the mainstream universe, in 90's continuity. Which means no crossover with Brand New Day, no crossover with what's going on in 616, and none of the other baggage of the last 15-20 years of storytelling.

We are going to see a return of Ben Reilly in some capacity over the course of the next few months of ASM, but I doubt this will have any story ties to it. Instead, it will just be a peripheral story intended to use the upcoming ASM story for momentum.

Last edited:
Really is that what happened in the original?

Yeap, Henry Pym aint got **** on Peter Parker

Zombipanda said:
Well, if they're comparing it to X-Men Forever, then it will most likely take place outside of the mainstream universe, in 90's continuity. Which means no crossover with Brand New Day, no crossover with what's going on in 616, and none of the other baggage of the last 15-20 years of storytelling.

We are going to see a return of Ben Reilly in some capacity over the course of the next few months of ASM, but I doubt this will have any story ties to it. Instead, it will just be a peripheral story intended to use the upcoming ASM story for momentum.

Wanna bet?

Agreed! Even if the Clone Saga was, at its core, a pretty decent idea, DeFalco is an awful writer. At least he is from everything I've seen. I hear Spider-Girl is alright, but it's not exactly my kind of book.

I've heard the same thing but haven't read any of it either. But I've read enough of his ****ty Spider-Man and Fantastic 4 stories to solidify my opinion of him, whether he has one good book or not.

I thought that the Clone Saga was a decent idea with some horrible execution, and I like it more for the train wreck aspect of it. The behind the scenes stuff is a fascinating story, which is probably better than the actual story itself.

I've heard the same thing but haven't read any of it either. But I've read enough of his ****ty Spider-Man and Fantastic 4 stories to solidify my opinion of him, whether he has one good book or not.

I thought that the Clone Saga was a decent idea with some horrible execution, and I like it more for the train wreck aspect of it. The behind the scenes stuff is a fascinating story, which is probably better than the actual story itself.

Also agreed!

For those who don't know...

The Life of Reilly was made into a book wasn't it?

I swear I remember hearing something about that

But seriously anyone who hasn't read TLOR and has a sour opinion on The Clone Saga (most likely without even reading it) and has an extra hour or two to kill, should really give it a read.

It really shows you what can happen when editorial and marketing get to involved in the creative process.

It makes JMS's little rant about OMD seem like nothing

I dunno, I really hated the clone saga, it got me out comics for a long while, when you grow with Peter Parker and then say all those stories he was in were fake, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Also making Parker a wife beater didn't make me like the story either.

I dunno, I really hated the clone saga, it got me out comics for a long while, when you grow with Peter Parker and then say all those stories he was in were fake, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Also making Parker a wife beater didn't make me like the story either.

I cannot defend the Clone Saga against people who hate it. I fully recognize and realize that there were a LOT of problems with it that would make it unenjoyable for many (most?) people.

BUT - to be fair, it never said the stories were fake. It said, briefly, that Peter was the clone. All of the stuff that happened between the original clone appearance and then still happened, just not to the Peter Parker everyone thought was the real Peter Parker. And besides - everything was being manipulated behind the scenes and it ended up not being true anyway.

The point where he hit MJ was one of the most interesting things that happened in the whole thing. I don't think it made him a wife beater - his entire world was falling apart and he lashed out in a way that was completely uncharacteristic of the character. Not justifiable - and that's what was so fascinating about it. It was probably the single most significant thing to happen during the whole story that let the reader know the depths of despair Peter was going through.

:arrgh:

That just ruined any interest I had in it.

haha, sorry. I hope it is the original, not tied into brand new day, but we'll see.

as I remember it, he didn't punch her in the stomach, she came up behind him to try and comfort him and he swatted at her forgetting his strength and hit her in the face and sent her flying, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I liked Spider-Girl a lot...until they relaunched the series as Amazing Spider-Girl - it wasn't as interesting after that. But the first series was cool because it explored a lot of plot threads that just got dropped after the clone saga. Normie Osborn was the Green Goblin, Ben Reilly's son was possessed by Zarathos and became a demonic successor to Dare Devil called Dark Devil, etc.

They kind of dropped all of these plot threads after issue 100 and the whole feel of the book changed for the new series.

I liked Spider-Girl a lot...until they relaunched the series as Amazing Spider-Girl - it wasn't as interesting after that. But the first series was cool because it explored a lot of plot threads that just got dropped after the clone saga. Normie Osborn was the Green Goblin, Ben Reilly's son was possessed by Zarathos and became a demonic successor to Dare Devil called Dark Devil, etc.

They kind of dropped all of these plot threads after issue 100 and the whole feel of the book changed for the new series.

Hm.... Well, in that case, I could see this miniseries intended to be a prequel to the Spider-Girl future universe, yeah?

Latest posts

Back