Spider-Man Spider-Man: The Clone Saga series discussion (Yep you read that right)

There's just too much to fit into 6 issues. The clone saga ran in 4 monthly Spider-Man titles for two-ish years, so we're looking at around 200 issues. I know there was a lot of stuff they're cutting out, but the writers were probably planning on telling the story over the course of several months before the editors made them extend it. So a 15-20 issue run isn't going to fit into six issues and still be good.

Exactly. 100% agreed. It feels rushed, too. It reads like they are doing their best to touch on every aspect of the series without fleshing out the concepts, which makes it read like a bad Cliff's Notes version written by a fan.

bahaha

You know what though? They released Age of Apocalypse in 4 tpbs very similarly to this, and AoA is at least as bad as the clone saga. It just was more well received at the time.

:shock:

OH. MY. GOD.

I've been waiting for this forever. This is the most awesome news ever. I would have preferred an omnibus but this is OK too.

I only hope they don't leave a single thing out.

*marks March 24th on the calendar*

bahaha

You know what though? They released Age of Apocalypse in 4 tpbs very similarly to this, and AoA is at least as bad as the clone saga. It just was more well received at the time.

And sorry, but no. Why do people always conveniently forget that the clone saga was EXTREMELY well received and basically saved Marvel from bankruptcy?

And sorry, but no. Why do people always conveniently forget that the clone saga was EXTREMELY well received and basically saved Marvel from bankruptcy?

I said it was well received at the time. That doesn't make it good.

I didn't know it saved Marvel from bankruptcy, but I am reading right now and it isn't very good.

I am reading right now and it isn't very good.

Yeah, I'm reading it too, it's not BAD, it's just not very good.
I just read The Lost Years and it was pretty good, I liked it a lot, but because the clone saga was a crossover between Spidey books it suffered a lot it terms of quality loss because of writers/artists, and the whole mood of the storyline just felt ****ty, it didn't really fit with Spider-Man stories IMO, especially Traveler.

You should probably read The Life of Reilly before reading the original clone saga, and or this new mini.

The original Clone Saga started of an interesting idea that could have turned out well. But it became this giant limping frankenstein of an event.

Yeah, I'm reading it too, it's not BAD, it's just not very good.
I just read The Lost Years and it was pretty good, I liked it a lot, but because the clone saga was a crossover between Spidey books it suffered a lot it terms of quality loss because of writers/artists, and the whole mood of the storyline just felt ****ty, it didn't really fit with Spider-Man stories IMO, especially Traveler.

you misunderstood. I was talking about X-Men: Age of Apocalypse

I thought he was talking about the Clone Saga too. :D

oh, wait...I thought YOU were talking about AoA...

:lol:
no wonder vmenge was confused.

My bad

What I was originally saying was that The Clone Saga, while originally well received, became a fiasco as it was prolonged and is considered by most people to be a disaster. I kind of like the story, but that doesn't reflect the feelings of the general populace. On the other hand, Age of Apocalypse was wildly popular at the time and is still looked back on fondly. But I'm reading AoA right now, and it's probably on par with the clone saga goes as far as quality (I originally said it was worse, but i'm still reading and it has improved a bit).

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I got the second issue.

it was better than the first, but not much. It seems the miniseries is focus on the key points of the story.
This issue took place a few months after the first. Ben has taken on the Scarlet Spider identity and started working at the Daily Grind coffee shop. Kaine's mysterious boss tells Kaine that he has infected MJ with the same disease that he gave to Aunt May, making them both sick. This angers Kaine and he turns against his 'master.' Some how Peter and Ben figure that the reason May and MJ are both sick must have something to do with Kaine so they find him and he leads them to his 'master'. But instead of it being Norman Osborn, it's the Jackal and he captures all three of them to clone his army of Spider-Men so he can take over the world. (Insert maniacal laughter here) One clone is finished already (i assume it's spider-cide). The end

This is really awful. Tom DeFalco is just plain bad. There is no intelligence to this script at all. It's all mindless fights and magic conclusions and the art sucks too.

I always had a problem with how Peter and Ben met. I thought it would have been better if Ben was trying to keep a low profile and Peter just kind of happened on him and pursued him, realizing that he looked exactly like him. Ben should get away and should be very hesitant to tell Peter anything.

yeah me too. I'm trying to decide whether or not to drop it. It's by no means good, but I hate dropping minis in the middle, especially Spider-Man stuff.

Bah, I'm a sucker.

There are only two reasons I'm keeping with it. 1) I'm not paying for it so I'm not wasting money, just time and 2) the subject interests me and even though it's pretty bad I'm semi-interested to see how it differs from the original story.

But I'm not enjoying it.

At least it's not a Maximum Carnage retelling :lol:

Latest posts

Back