Squadron Supreme discussion (Chaykin / Turini)

I liked them all! And yes, Zarda is back, somehow. They said in interviews the whole cliffhanger ending from SS #7 will be addressed and resolved through flashbacks in the first arc of the new SS series. Plus, since Ultimate Power takes place after SS #7 timeline-wise, its no surprise Zarda survived. Its just the how thats unresolved (but hopefully will be as promised).

I presume he's wondering if Zarda is back because she left to go to the Ultimate Universe, didn't she?

I'm still on SS #5. :( I guess It makes sense a flashback would feature her, though.

Oh I knew about the cliffhanger and all, I just wish I could find issues 6 and 7 without resorting to the highway robbery that is the internets.

For those of you unaware of Chaykin's work outside his less-than-stellar artwork (which is still better than a lot of "better" artists *coughJoeMadcough* because of Chaykin's storytelling ability, which often is more important than actually drawing a nice picture) you could check out Bite Club, which isn't his best piece of work. Then again, you could go all the way back to something like Black Kiss, which is pretty much X-rated. It's a twisted story you'd expect to see in a really far-out David Lynch film, complete with transgendered vampires and a bizarre male/female/shemale love triangle. Really strange and graphic stuff, but if you're old enough to read such a story and appreciate it without going "ew, icky", it's very well done.

Chaykin also wrote (and illustrated) American Flagg, which was somewhat of a cult classic in the 80's. It was very much rooted in 30's/40's detective/gangbusters lore, done in a film noir style that I tend to enjoy very much. He did the same kind of work on
Blackhawk for DC around the same time, I still own all 3 issues of that mini series and I can still pull that out and enjoy it today. It was some of the darker/more adult work coming from DC comics back then. Even though I was probably only 7 or 8 years old at the time it was released, well... I was always a weird kid. The darker, the better. Plus I was watching a lot of old gangster films from the 30's and 40's with my grandfather, so all of that material was fresh on my mind. Chaykin apparently loves that period of history and his original material often reflects that.

I'm not a huge fan of his art (though, like I said, his strong point was always storytelling as opposed to correct anatomy and pretty pictures) but he's a solid writer. Black Kiss is one of the rare gems in my collection, an obscure comic that always raises an eyebrow when other people read it.

Plus, I love Squadron Supreme. I'll read this anyway.

The Greg Land cover looks cool. I thought most of the people on the cover were going to turn out to be Supreme Power-izations of established Squadron Supreme characters, but I guess not. Hopefully the green dude on the cover is Skrullian Skymaster. Hopefully he's not some kind of analogue of
the Hulk
, like the Captain America, Iron Man, and Spider-Woman-looking people. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the guy on the lower right corner is
related to the girl in the upper left corner, as they both seem to have a weird body-liquid type power, making them analogues of Giant Man and Wasp. That is if these people are analogues of the Ultimates.

I'd really like to see more about Hyperion's (and possibly Zarda's) homeworld. All that we know is that an infant alien was sent to Earth and inside of his ship was a retrovirus that selectively mutated a portion of Earth's population. I want to see his world, the people, why they sent him, etc. On the same note, they should explore more about Doc Spectrum's prism.

I also want to see them do their version of the Skrullian Skymaster (or probably just Skymaster, as it seems they're avoiding the Skrull concepts). Hopefully from the look of things that one is coming soon.

Last edited:
I'm hoping JMS has left his notes on the outline of the series. He obviously had an idea of what was going to happen in the future...all of that "the children mustn't fight" etc.

Zarda's drawn here, but she'll only be in flashbacks if at all. Remember JoeMad drew some Black Widow pictures?

Anyone read the first issue?

It's weird. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

First of all, the country is practically destroyed from the Ultimate Power debacle. This story takes place five (!) years after Ultimate Power. Nick Fury is still over there. The rest of the original SS is nowhere to be seen. And there is a new character that shoots some kind of sticky goo all over the place. Heh.

And they've got Arcana manipulating quantum possibilities to take all of the oil under the Arab nations and move it to under Israel. Which is actually an interesting idea and more in line with what Squadron Supreme was originally about than anything that's been happening since the book stopped being a MAX book, but it still doesn't quite deliver.

1.75/5. I'll probably at least read the rest of the arc but I doubt it will be any kind of priority. This book was destroyed by moving it from MAX.

I downloaded it but then realized I couldn't be bothered. Such a waste. The original storytellers abandoned it and for some reason Fury is wandering around. Stupid.

Anyone read the first issue?

It's weird. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

First of all, the country is practically destroyed from the Ultimate Power debacle. This story takes place five (!) years after Ultimate Power. Nick Fury is still over there. The rest of the original SS is nowhere to be seen.

I was weirded out by it as well.

And there is a new character that shoots some kind of sticky goo all over the place. Heh.

Taft?

And they've got Arcana manipulating quantum possibilities to take all of the oil under the Arab nations and move it to under Israel. Which is actually an interesting idea and more in line with what Squadron Supreme was originally about than anything that's been happening since the book stopped being a MAX book, but it still doesn't quite deliver.

1.75/5. I'll probably at least read the rest of the arc but I doubt it will be any kind of priority. This book was destroyed by moving it from MAX.

Agreed. Also don't like how apparently they're just using rip-offs of 616/Ultimate characters. The four astronauts are obviously analogues to the Fantastic Four, the American Flagg guy the obvious Cap, etc. What?

And they seem to be completely ignoring the future we saw in the Hyperion mini where he takes over the planet. That was supposed to happen about two years after the "secret battle" with Redstone at the end of the last series.

And they seem to be completely ignoring the future we saw in the Hyperion mini where he takes over the planet. That was supposed to happen about two years after the "secret battle" with Redstone at the end of the last series.

Good point; I had forgotten about that.

I thought it was funny how no one talks about the battle with the African mob guy. Funny, but not ha-ha funny.

Maybe the Hyperion future still happened, but everything's back to "normal" now.

Personally, I thought JMS' Squadron took place on this Earth (or a reasonable fascimile), but having it all blown up now they should go all the way with alternate reality references. Like have the Mets win the World Series every year, or have Kurt Cobain still alive releasing Nirvanna albums or something.

Maybe the Hyperion future still happened, but everything's back to "normal" now.

Personally, I thought JMS' Squadron took place on this Earth (or a reasonable fascimile), but having it all blown up now they should go all the way with alternate reality references. Like have the Mets win the World Series every year, or have Kurt Cobain still alive releasing Nirvanna albums or something.

Isn't that kinda what Ellis is doing over in New Universal? Didn't he mention that John Lennon's alive or something, and that Paul's dead?

By the way, I didn't realize this is apparently a 5-issue mini. That makes me feel a little better.

Isn't that kinda what Ellis is doing over in New Universal? Didn't he mention that John Lennon's alive or something, and that Paul's dead?

By the way, I didn't realize this is apparently a 5-issue mini. That makes me feel a little better.

Yeah, Ellis is doing cool stuff with newuniversal. I like how he's using 616 characters in the newuniverse.

I'm pretty sure Squadron Supreme is an ongoing comic.

just checked Marvel.com and the solicit for sept's issue says it's 6 issues.

Latest posts

Back