Squadron Supreme discussion (Chaykin / Turini)

I agree with E, this should've been left under the MAX imprint, especially with Chaykin writing. I liked this issue for the most part. It was a little confusing but definitely promising, and I'm pretty sure Chaykin will make it work. I'm going to give it a chance because I'm a huge Squadron Supreme fan (still have the complete run of Gruenwald's SS series from the 80's). At any rate, it's still a ton better than Ultimates right now so I'm not quite ready to shove a sharp object into my eye.

I think Chaykin does a great job of writing Ultimate Nick Fury. There was some very Samuel L. Jacksonish dialogue in this book. So at least there's that!

3/5

I'm pretty disappointed they just decided to introduce new characters instead of establishing the old ones already. It's bad enough the quality of SS dropped after they were moved from MAX, now they're being shoved to the background in exchange for "Ultimizations". We already had Ultimate Universe for that.

I hope it's not just a mini, or at least if it is, Nick Fury finds his way back to the Ultimate Universe. The 5 years issue is easily resolved, time machines and crap.

By the way, I didn't realize this is apparently a 5-issue mini. That makes me feel a little better.

I just saw an advertisement for the Squadron Supreme series that listed it as a 5 issue mini series as well. Maybe they cut it short? Or the previous reports of it being at least 6 issues was bogus? I don't know. Anyway, you were right.

I just saw an advertisement for the Squadron Supreme series that listed it as a 5 issue mini series as well. Maybe they cut it short? Or the previous reports of it being at least 6 issues was bogus? I don't know. Anyway, you were right.

Yeah, that was weird, because it was always promoted as an ongoing, and if it's just a mini, why doesn't it have a subtitle instead of just being called Squadron Supreme? Something fishy is going on here.

Yeah, that was weird, because it was always promoted as an ongoing, and if it's just a mini, why doesn't it have a subtitle instead of just being called Squadron Supreme? Something fishy is going on here.

...and not just because Amphibian is nowhere to be seen! Hah? Hah? See what I did there? Cause she's like a fish...and..uh..

Well, they can't all be POTD.

But yeah.

What with all the care Marvel's been taking to put A-List writers on the UU and it's offshoots, look out for the series to be taken over midway by the guy who wrote the new Knight Rider. :roll:

Well, it does have a sort of subtitle: Power to the People. All the individual issues will also have individual titles like the first did (in addition to the Power to the People semi-sub-title). Don't know why they didn't just label as such on the cover, though.

Well, it does have a sort of subtitle: Power to the People. All the individual issues will also have individual titles like the first did (in addition to the Power to the People semi-sub-title). Don't know why they didn't just label as such on the cover, though.

Back in the day, all comics used to have titles, and if they were part of an arc they would have the arc title with a number and then a real title.

Marvel Comics doesn't believe in individual issue titles anymore though.

In some places I've seen this being called "Squadron Supreme 2," like Ultimates 2 or Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. The comic itself is just called "Squadron Supreme" though (volume 2 I guess).

This was solicited as an ongoing, the comic itself says the current arc is 6 issues, but the advertisement says it's a 5 issue mini.

No one knows what's going on.

I'm still going to give this a chance. The way I see it, the original Squadron Supreme was created to give the Avengers a JLA-style team to fight against since that was well before DC and Marvel could get together and do that sort of thing.

In this series, we're getting the Supremeverse versions of 616/Ultimate Marvel characters. So it's almost like it's coming full circle.... and instead of someone creating the SS to do battle with the Avengers it's like they're creating an Avengers-style team to do battle with the SS now.

Confusing? Maybe a little. It looks fun to me, though. Not sure if it's the path JMS would've taken had he stayed on the book but I like it anyway.

I just hope there's some resolution to the whole Hyperion arc....I mean the story of how we get to that point, can it really just be the ultimate power virus? what about Doom?

In some places I've seen this being called "Squadron Supreme 2," like Ultimates 2 or Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. The comic itself is just called "Squadron Supreme" though (volume 2 I guess).

Actually, it'd probably be Squadron Supreme volume 5 or 6. Don't forget, there've been multiple SS ongoings in the 616 universe.

This was solicited as an ongoing, the comic itself says the current arc is 6 issues, but the advertisement says it's a 5 issue mini.

No one knows what's going on.

So true. :roll:

I'm still going to give this a chance. The way I see it, the original Squadron Supreme was created to give the Avengers a JLA-style team to fight against since that was well before DC and Marvel could get together and do that sort of thing.

In this series, we're getting the Supremeverse versions of 616/Ultimate Marvel characters. So it's almost like it's coming full circle.... and instead of someone creating the SS to do battle with the Avengers it's like they're creating an Avengers-style team to do battle with the SS now.

Confusing? Maybe a little. It looks fun to me, though. Not sure if it's the path JMS would've taken had he stayed on the book but I like it anyway.

I'm waiting to see how it plays out as well. First issue was a WHOLE lot of set-up (too much), so I'm hoping it gets more interesting in the next few issues.

I just hope there's some resolution to the whole Hyperion arc....I mean the story of how we get to that point, can it really just be the ultimate power virus? what about Doom?

I doubt we're going to get any of that in this arc. If it really is only 5 (or 6) issues, we've already gotten solicitations through #3 (at the end of which Nighthawk shows up). So with only another 2 or 3 issues after that and no mention of Hyperion yet...no, I doubt we'll get an explanation. Supposedly we'll get flashbacks to reveal the resolutions to the dangling plot threads left over after the abrupt end of the last series.

Latest posts

Back