Star Trek discussion (Spoilers!)

What did you think of Star Trek?

• Total voters
Something that just occurred to me in the whole "Kirk becomes Captain = Stoopid" thing.

In STAR WARS, Luke goes from farmhand to Red Leader on the assault on the Death Star. Yet no one goes, "No one would promote him that fast!"

I was trying to think why it's different, and it's due to the internal consistency of the films' worlds.

In STAR WARS, the rebellion is desperate for anyone who can fly a ship. Luke makes this point to Han and asks him not to leave. Not only that, Luke has his own astromech droid and just save Princess Leia. But his accomplishments aside, in STAR WARS, the good guys need anyone they can get.

In STAR TREK, however, there is a FLEET that spans a galaxy, hundreds of planets, and there's captains and admirals and an academy of training and ranks and everything.

Kirk and Luke both destroy the planet eater. Both are rookies with no uniform. Kirk is part of a vast military organisation, Luke is part of a tiny rebellion with a dozen fighters.

Kirk becomes captain of the Federation flagship.

Luke gets a medal.

Now I'm off to work out just why it would ruin STAR WARS if Luke came from Manhattan...

Luke didn't become Red Leader until Empire, which was some time after Star Wars ended.

He was only Red 5 in Star Wars until he just happened to be the only one left alive.

In STAR TREK, however, there is a FLEET that spans a galaxy, hundreds of planets, and there's captains and admirals and an academy of training and ranks and everything.

But at the moment he became captain (or was named first officer) there was not a fleet. There were a small number of inexperienced personnel on a single ship in the middle of a difficult mission with their captain - the only one with any experience to speak of - about to be taken hostage.

He didn't become a captain at the end during the ceremony where he relieved Pike. He maneuvered into the position with help (unintentional) from Bones.

I asked one of my friends who knows a little about the military (how much exactly, I don't know), "Is battlefield promotion that likely?"

His response, "Maybe during a medieval war. Maybe."

I think Kirk should go further. He should become friends with the joint chiefs of staff of the Federation by instigating another bar brawl, and when one of them makes Kirk his deputy, he kills this chief and becomes the head of Starfleet.

Holy ****. Kirk as MacBeth.

That would be awesome.

Last edited:
But at the moment he became captain (or was named first officer) there was not a fleet. There were a small number of inexperienced personnel on a single ship in the middle of a difficult mission with their captain - the only one with any experience to speak of - about to be taken hostage.

He didn't become a captain at the end during the ceremony where he relieved Pike. He maneuvered into the position with help (unintentional) from Bones.

Every single person on the ship had more right to be first officer than Kirk, though.

Every single person on the ship had more right to be first officer than Kirk, though.

Just because they had 5 minutes more of actual time logged on to the ship?

Obviously not, because Pike didn't think so. Obviously he saw something in Kirk that made him think he was better suited (maybe the fact that Kirk correctly identified a trap when no one else did?) or that all of the others (save Spock) were incapable of handling the task.

Just because they had 5 minutes more of actual time logged on to the ship?

Obviously not, because Pike didn't think so. Obviously he saw something in Kirk that made him think he was better suited (maybe the fact that Kirk correctly identified a trap when no one else did?) or that all of the others (save Spock) were incapable of handling the task.

Because Kirk was suspended, his future with Starfleet at all was in doubt, and he was illegally aboard the ship.

Because Kirk was suspended, his future with Starfleet at all was in doubt, and he was illegally aboard the ship.

Right...but his suspension says nothing of his skill or ability or leadership qualities. And in the position they were in, Starfleet's suspensions mean precisely jack.

And he wasn't on board illegally.

Leaked!

Watching it now in glorious HD.

I bought my copy yesterday and watched it again. I still love it.

Victor Garber played a Klingon in the deleted prison scene. That is cool. I hope the Klingons are more involved in the sequel.

I bought my copy yesterday and watched it again. I still love it.

Victor Garber played a Klingon in the deleted prison scene. That is cool. I hope the Klingons are more involved in the sequel.

(!)

What kind of Klingon was it? Was he like the ones from the Original Series, without the Head Ridges and ceremonial armour or was he like the ones from the movies and The Next Generation?

(!)

What kind of Klingon was it? Was he like the ones from the Original Series, without the Head Ridges and ceremonial armour or was he like the ones from the movies and The Next Generation?

They looked like this:

zz262a8fd3.jpg

You can watch the deleted scene here.

Latest posts

Back