Star Trek discussion (Spoilers!)

What did you think of Star Trek?

• Total voters
I got the 2 disc special edition of Star Trek for my birthday.

I watched the deleted scenes. I loved the one when Kirk appologizes to Gaila (Green girl) for using her and then realizes it's not her!

and I kind of wish they had kept some of the Klingon prison planet stuff in there.

Anyway...

Nestor Carbonell as Khan?

Basically, this new STAR TREK is THE WRATH OF KHAN with the substance replaced with time travel bull****.

Every reference in the movie to the previous Treks all comes from THE WRATH OF KHAN. The plot is the same. The villain is the same. Instead of hating Kirk, he hates Spock.

It is a complete rip-off.

Basically, this new STAR TREK is THE WRATH OF KHAN with the substance replaced with time travel bull****.

Every reference in the movie to the previous Treks all comes from THE WRATH OF KHAN. The plot is the same. The villain is the same. Instead of hating Kirk, he hates Spock.

And it is still a pretty good movie (even though it is horrible when compared to Wrath of Khan).

It seems like Bass and Doublehex just time traveled themselves.

oh god.

What? Is it wrong for somebody to criticize XI and be right?

How can you criticize it, it's not even been made, all you're criticizing is nothing but speculation.

Last edited:
Here's what Gene [Roddenberry] said in an interview just before he died in August 1991; somebody had asked him, 'What's going to become of Star Trek in the future?' And he said that he hoped that some day some bright young thing would come along and do it again, bigger and better than he had ever done it. And he wished them well.
— Richard Arnold, Roddenberry's assistant​

JJ Abrams is that bright young thing.

Wow.

Star Trek just became cooler than Star Wars.

As most of you know, I'm a big fan of JJ Abrams and Bad Robot productions. I love Alias, Lost, Fringe, Mission Impossible III and Cloverfield. And I've been excited for the Star Trek movie even though I've had no interest in the franchise before.

But... wow.

This was great.

I honestly cannot think of any flaws at this moment. I am sure there are some but I am so impressed... so happy that it did not disappoint... I loved it. Very entertaining.

The cast was fantastic. Obviously I have no connection to the actors that portrayed these characters in the past but these guys brought the goods. Chris Pine is awesome and I would be very happy if he played Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern movie. Zachary Quinto... **** Sylar. He is now Spock. Uhura was pretty and actually had a name. Sulu was badass. Chekov was a pro video gamer. Urban as Bones was great too. And Pegg as Scotty was hilarious, of course. If there was a weak point in the cast, I think it would actually be Bana as Nero, strangely enough. While he is a good villain, he didn't really do much - in fact, I think his second in command may have had more dialogue.

Leonard Nimoy as old Spock was excellent as well.

This movie was also surprisingly funny. The plot is quite thin - it does it's job but it's not what the movie is about. This movie is about beginnings. The explanation of time travel and alternate universes proves it - this is no longer the Star Trek of the original series. It is a whole new start... the beginning of a new journey and one I will gladly be apart of.

The effects were insane. I can't believe in two weeks, I've seen two blockbuster movies - and the difference between the effects in Wolverine and Star Trek are crazy. This movie puts most blockbusters to shame.

I am glad that JJ Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci did this movie - it has gotten me interested in a franchise I previously had no interest in and I am excited to delve back into the past and continue with them in the future - I will definitely go to a sequel and I hope Bryan Fuller gets to create this new TV show set in this brand new universe.

So yeah. It's great. I'm sure people will hate it (probably Bass and Houde, but who cares?) but I loved it. I read a review that not only is this a great Star Trek film (the best?) but it's a great science fiction film in general - and I absolutely agree.

This is the movie you want to go to kick off the blockbuster season. See it.

I concur with all this.

Saw this new film last week. I voted 4 stars. It was an awesome movie but it wasn't perfect enough for 5.

Bass and Kalicki are a million percent correct about this film.

JJ Abrams is not a 'genius' or a 'revolutionary' for making this film. All he did was recognise the fact that Star Trek, with its core characters and its various mcguffins, could be just as flashy and fun as Star Wars. He's just the accountant who had the balls to raise the white flag and give the mainstream audiences what they want. There's nothing remotely clever about what he accomplished.

This film is a whole bunch of flashy fun, but it's not what Star Trek is about. It raises no philosophical or moral debates about anything. The characters and the social roles they originally had are all entirely out of date, today (what's so incredible about having a black woman and a southerner hanging out in this day and age?).

The film really is, just a fun romp. It's sad that people think that this is what 'good' Star Trek is and that by default, the original version is a load of crap (which is what a number of people have said in this thread).

And yet, I love it with all of my heart.

Last edited:
The film really is, just a fun romp. It's sad that people think that this is what 'good' Star Trek is and that by default, the original version is a load of crap (which is what a number of people have said in this thread).
I don't think the original is bad "by default". I think the original is bad because I've watched three Star Trek movies and this is the only one that didn't literally put me to sleep.

Wrath of Khan? Sleep.
Voyage Home? Sleep.
Every episode of every iteration of Star Trek I've ever seen? Sleep or quickly changed the channel to avoid falling asleep.

Before Abrams came along Star Trek was celluloid sedative.

Latest posts

Back