Star Trek discussion (Spoilers!)

What did you think of Star Trek?

• Total voters
Chills...

I've got to see this movie again, soon.

By the way, I really don't like that scene and I'm glad it was deleted. They act a lot more like Cardassians than Klingons. If Klingons were going to torture someone (which I don't think they would) they would beat the **** out of them, they wouldn't resort to mind-bending slugs.

Last edited:
Chills...

I've got to see this movie again, soon.

By the way, I really don't like that scene and I'm glad it was deleted. They act a lot more like Cardassians than Klingons. If Klingons were going to torture someone (which I don't think they would) they would beat the **** out of them, they wouldn't resort to mind-bending slugs.

What difference does it make, no one else was acting in character anyway.

Too right, Joe.

What irks me is that the track I played sets up the tone for such a brilliant concept: the idea of a shadow of destruction that consumes the past in electric fire, invisible, mad, and unstoppable. This chilling force unravelling time and space.

And I just get wound up thinking how that was executed.

How much cooler would it have been if it had been more like Darkseid's Omega Sanction? Kirk having to wrestle free from an eternity of despair, reliving failure after failure, only to see a thousand ways in which he could be a hero, and each way denied him. What if the film was truly about making the choices of manifest destiny, and Kirk must choose a true path, but each path contains vast sacrifices? And what if the commander of the time-travelling ship, was his future self (played by Shatner)?

Where was the poetry of this movie?

I find it odd that people who will accept multiple interpretations of a character like Batman seem to only accept one interpretation of Star Trek. :?

I find it odd that people who will accept multiple interpretations of a character like Batman seem to only accept one interpretation of Star Trek. :?

It's not that at all. I've accepted dozens, when you include the inconsistent spin-offs. TNG gave us more of the same, but DS9 was schizophrenic, going from old-school exploration to gritty war, to political neutral zones, to soap opera. Voyager and Enterprise were just stupid.

I have no problem with any of the actors, nor with the special effects. I think they didn't need to even 'reboot' it in continuity; I felt the reboot Bond and Batman get, i.e. they just start again with different actors and no attempt reconcile it with past stories, would've been much more preferable.

Now, you may be arguing that my "I want the poetry back" is like hypocritical since I'll argue that having both the Nolan and the Brave/Bold Batman is absolutely fine and wonderful to have two such different takes, however, it is somewhat different.

Batman is, and always will be, a pulp hero: he punches bad guys in the face until he wins. Sometimes the bad guy will be space pirates and Batman will smile as he does the punching, and other times the bad guy will be a diseased maniac who slaughters babies. The tonal shift from light to dark, from fantasy to actuality, can fluctuate, but it will always be Batman.

STAR TREK is, and always has been from its earliest inceptions, hard science-fiction (not always good sci-fi, but hard sci-fi). It has NEVER been about action, precisely because it couldn't afford it. Now, I don't mind there being some action, or even quite a bit of action, but hard sci-fi requires tough moral crises and deep intellectual concepts to work at all, whereas action requires the opposite as action runs on adrenaline, not curiosity. Making STAR TREK more popcorn-y isn't a tonal shift, but a genre shift, which is more substantial.

However, this movie didn't really intend that. It tried to have hard sci-fi, but couldn't because it sucked. It tried to be an exciting action ride, but it was far too stupid.

My problem is not that it was too action-y, but that it was too dumb. DIE HARD is pure action. It is not too dumb. DUMB & DUMBER is idiotic comedy. It is not too dumb. STAR TREK is a dumb movie. The directing, acting, music, and photography is all top-class. The story is a pile of wank. That's what I'm complaining about. My "plea for poetry" was just pointing out that the key concept of the movie, if done properly, would shift it from action/adventure to high adventure, a more thoughtful form of adventure, not that is inherently better but it would be more preferable for a blockbuster Star Trek movie that a movie based on TOP GUN.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I just don't agree with some of your views but I guess that's because I have had a different experience with Star Trek than you have. We shall agree to disagree... until the sequel which will apparently include all the stuff that was missing from the first one that makes Star Trek Star Trek.

Is anyone reading the comic focusing on Nero?

If the sequel is to STAR TREK what THE DARK KNIGHT is to BATMAN BEGINS, I will be a very happy man.

So is there any particular reason why the movie is coming out so late in North America? Sweden has had it since October 7. We don't get it until November 17th. What up with that?

STAR TREK is, and always has been from its earliest inceptions, hard science-fiction (not always good sci-fi, but hard sci-fi). It has NEVER been about action, precisely because it couldn't afford it. Now, I don't mind there being some action, or even quite a bit of action, but hard sci-fi requires tough moral crises and deep intellectual concepts to work at all, whereas action requires the opposite as action runs on adrenaline, not curiosity. Making STAR TREK more popcorn-y isn't a tonal shift, but a genre shift, which is more substantial.

However, this movie didn't really intend that. It tried to have hard sci-fi, but couldn't because it sucked. It tried to be an exciting action ride, but it was far too stupid.

My problem is not that it was too action-y, but that it was too dumb. DIE HARD is pure action. It is not too dumb. DUMB & DUMBER is idiotic comedy. It is not too dumb. STAR TREK is a dumb movie. The directing, acting, music, and photography is all top-class. The story is a pile of wank. That's what I'm complaining about. My "plea for poetry" was just pointing out that the key concept of the movie, if done properly, would shift it from action/adventure to high adventure, a more thoughtful form of adventure, not that is inherently better but it would be more preferable for a blockbuster Star Trek movie that a movie based on TOP GUN.

*applause*

:rockon:

These are fantastic.

[youtube]V2q2JQLR970[/youtube]

[youtube]jnMSXenjycM[/youtube]

[youtube]Gs33sTLGOIg[/youtube]

[youtube]O0ZDPbosKkM[/youtube]

[youtube]yNPzi5nsFGo[/youtube]

Sisko's reaction is priceless.

How much cooler would it have been if it had been more like Darkseid's Omega Sanction? Kirk having to wrestle free from an eternity of despair, reliving failure after failure, only to see a thousand ways in which he could be a hero, and each way denied him. What if the film was truly about making the choices of manifest destiny, and Kirk must choose a true path, but each path contains vast sacrifices? And what if the commander of the time-travelling ship, was his future self (played by Shatner)?

Bass, one of these days, you are going to write a story for some medium. Maybe a movie, video game, book, whatever.

And it will be seen as a ground breaking work, and you will change everything.

I guarantee it.

"If the image wasn't so ugly, it would be laughable."

"Some form of space-madness we've never heard of?"

:lol:

SPACE-MADNESS.

That is why I love the old Trek.

SPACE.

MADNESS.

Bass, one of these days, you are going to write a story for some medium. Maybe a movie, video game, book, whatever.

And it will be seen as a ground breaking work, and you will change everything.

I guarantee it.

I doubt it.

I wank a lot.

Y'know... looking at the DS9 reaction... it would've been cool if they did an episode where some filmmaker made a biopic on Kirk.

The Legion of Super-Heroes initiated a rule limiting the number of consecutive missions a member could go on after Sun Boy almost killed them all while suffering from space madness.

Latest posts

Back