Star Wars Canon Expanded Universe - Timeline - Reading Order

So, Tales of the Jedi Episode 6 is being much discussed online because it tells a very similar story (though different in key places) to the Ahsoka novel. The differences are big enough that the two can't really be reconciled as different points of view of the same event - however, treating it as two separate events means Ahsoka defended two similar farming villages from Inquisitors hunting her at around the same time, and stole both their lightsabers. Filoni has said they're the same event, EK Johnston has said they're different. Obviously the BTS reason for this is that Filoni isn't interested in matching up with the novel. What do you think - should I treat them as separate events, or as different versions of the same event? And since this timeline specifically doesn't do retellings (novelisations, comic versions etc aren't included), should I only keep one of them?

Honestly I think on-screen material will always override written stories. It's always been this way because 99% of the audience isn't reading novels, comics, books etc. Star Wars is a cinematic medium and Disney knows that.

So, Tales of the Jedi Episode 6 is being much discussed online because it tells a very similar story (though different in key places) to the Ahsoka novel. The differences are big enough that the two can't really be reconciled as different points of view of the same event - however, treating it as two separate events means Ahsoka defended two similar farming villages from Inquisitors hunting her at around the same time, and stole both their lightsabers. Filoni has said they're the same event, EK Johnston has said they're different. Obviously the BTS reason for this is that Filoni isn't interested in matching up with the novel. What do you think - should I treat them as separate events, or as different versions of the same event? And since this timeline specifically doesn't do retellings (novelisations, comic versions etc aren't included), should I only keep one of them?
On my own personal timeline, I include them as separate events, because technically they don't really conflict despite the intention being for the show to override the book. The book is very good, though, and contains a lot of additional material about Ahsoka and Bail, so I hate to erase it from canon. My headcanon is that the episode just takes place shortly following the book, since the book mentions that Ahsoka had never seen an Inquisitor before. Regardless, it is pretty weird that she has two near identical experiences back to back.

Honestly I think on-screen material will always override written stories. It's always been this way because 99% of the audience isn't reading novels, comics, books etc. Star Wars is a cinematic medium and Disney knows that.
I'm absolutely sure this is how Filoni sees it. My question was more about how to treat the episode on the timeline, and whether it's better to fudge it into being two separate events so that we can keep both, or whether I should get rid of one!

On my own personal timeline, I include them as separate events, because technically they don't really conflict despite the intention being for the show to override the book. The book is very good, though, and contains a lot of additional material about Ahsoka and Bail, so I hate to erase it from canon. My headcanon is that the episode just takes place shortly following the book, since the book mentions that Ahsoka had never seen an Inquisitor before. Regardless, it is pretty weird that she has two near identical experiences back to back.
Ahh, does it? It's been a long time since I read the book so can't remember specific details like that. I agree it would be a shame to erase it, for a lot of reasons. It's an annoying problem, though, I wish they'd stop doing this! Especially since it would have been so easy to make the details match up with the book (and isn't this exactly what the Story Group is for?)

Hello, I know that this doesn't have to do with the topic, but I have seen that you have posted links to Amazon so people that stumble across this thread can buy the movies, games, etc in order and watch/play/whatever them. I am also trying to post links to shops for the Resident Evil games in my Resident Evil timeline, but sometimes when I add a link the text becames blue and underlined (like links usually turn) and I want to put the colours back and take out the underline but sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. What am I doing wrong with the text editor?

The Same Rule applies to Dr Who's Relatively Scrambled Timeline as the TV series overwrites what the events of Audio Dramas all the time because it's easier for the audience just watching the show on it's own

My Timeline atm (Everything with a question mark or a gap is a WIP)

Star Wars Chronological Viewing Order
(November 2022)

The High Republic: (382 BBY - 82 BBY)
✅

Star Wars - Young Jedi Adventures S01E01 - S01E06?

Star Wars - Eclipse
Star Wars - The Acolyte S01E01 - S01E06

Fall of the Jedi: (60 BBY - 19 BBY) ✅

Star Wars - Tales of the Jedi S01E02 - S01E03
Star Wars - Tales of the Jedi S01E01
Star Wars - Episode l - The Phantom Menace
Star Wars - Tales of the Jedi S01E04
(During Episode l)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E10
Star Wars - Episode ll - Attack of the Clones
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S02E16
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S01E16
Star Wars - The Clone Wars
Star Wars - Tales of the Jedi S01E05
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E01
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E03
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S01E01 - S01E15
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S01E17 - S01E21
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S02E01 - S02E03
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S02E17 - S02E19
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S02E04 - S02E14
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S02E20 - S02E22
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E05 - S03E07
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E02
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E04
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E08
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S01E22
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E09
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E11
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E06

Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E02?

Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E12
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E04
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E10 - S03E11
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S02E15

Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E02?

Star Wars - The Clone Wars S03E12 - S03E22
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S04E01 - S04E22
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S05E02 - S05E13
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S05E01
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S05E14 - S05E20
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S06E01 - S06E13
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - Bounty Hunters
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - A Death on Utapau
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - In Search of the Crystal
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - Crystal Crisis
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - The Big Bang
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - Dark Disciple
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - The Enemy of My Enemy
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - A Tale of Two Apprentices
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - Proxy War
Star Wars - The Clone Wars Legacy - Showdown on Dathomir
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S07E05 - S07E08
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S07E01 - S07E04
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S07E09
Star Wars - Episode lll - Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars - The Clone Wars S07E10 - S07E12
(During Episode lll)
Star Wars - The Bad Batch S01E01
(During Episode lll)

Reign of the Empire: (19 BBY - 5 BBY)

Star Wars - The Bad Batch S01E02 - S01E16

Star Wars - The Bad Batch S02E01 - S02E16?

Star Wars - The Clone Wars S07E12 (Epilogue)
Star Wars - Tales of the Jedi S01E06
Star Wars - Jedi: Fallen Order
Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (Prologue)
Solo - A Star Wars Story (Prologue)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E16
Solo - A Star Wars Story
Star Wars - Obi-Wan Kenobi S01E01 - S01E06
Star Wars - Jedi: Survivor

HoloNet News Report S01E01 - S01E11?

Age of Rebellion: (5 BBY - 4 ABY)

Star Wars - Andor S01E01 - S01E08

Star Wars - Andor S01E09 - S01E12?

Star Wars - Rebels - The Machine in the Ghost
Star Wars - Rebels - Art Attack
Star Wars - Rebels - Entanglement
Star Wars - Rebels - Property of Ezra Bridger
Star Wars - Rebels S01E01 - S01E15
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E15

Star Wars - Andor S02E01 - S02E12?

Star Wars - Rebels S02E01 - S02E09
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E08
OR
Star Wars - Rebels S02E01 - S02E12
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E08

Star Wars - Rebels S02E10/13 - S02E22
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E09
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E16
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E01
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E07
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E13
Star Wars - Rebels S03E01 - S03E22
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E11
Star Wars - Rebels S04E01 - S04E16
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E04
Vader Immortal VR - Episode l
Vader Immortal VR - Episode ll
Vader Immortal VR - Episode lll
Star Wars - Battlefront - Rogue One X-Wing VR Mission
Rogue One - A Star Wars Story
Star Wars - Episode lV - A New Hope
Star Wars - Squadrons - Lord Vader's Command
(During Episode lV)
Star Wars - Squadrons - A Call to Rebellion
(During Episode lV)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E05
Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E07
(During Episode V)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E06
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - The Cleaner
Star Wars - Episode Vl - Return of the Jedi
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E03
(During Episode Vl)
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - The Battle of Endor
(During Episode Vl)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E14
(During Episode Vl)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E14
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E09
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - The Dauntless
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - The Observatory
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - The Storm
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - Outcasts
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - Royalty

The New Republic: (4 ABY - 17 ABY) ✅

Star Wars - Squadrons Prequel - Hunted
Star Wars - Squadrons - Form the Vanguard
Star Wars - Squadrons - The Skies of Yavin
Star Wars - Squadrons - Through Enemy Lines
Star Wars - Squadrons - Secrets and Spies
Star Wars - Squadrons - The Trail from Desevro
Star Wars - Squadrons - Signal to Noise
Star Wars - Squadrons - Into the Abyss
Star Wars - Squadrons - Fractured Alliance
Star Wars - Squadrons - Chaos at Mon Cala
Star Wars - Squadrons - Terisa's Vengeance
Star Wars - Squadrons - Nowhere to Stand
Star Wars - Squadrons - Rally the New Republic
Star Wars - Squadrons - Fire in the Heart
Star Wars - Squadrons - Last Flight of the Starhawk
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - General Distress
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - Under Covered Skies
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - Cache Grab
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - The Battle of Jakku
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - Until Ashes

Star Wars - Rebels S04E16 (Epilogue)?

Star Wars - The Mandalorian S01E01 - S01E08
Star Wars - The Mandalorian S02E01 - S02E08
Star Wars - The Mandalorian S02E08 Post-Credits Scene
Star Wars - The Book of Boba Fett S01E01 - S01E07
Star Wars - The Book of Boba Fett S01E07 Mid-Credits Scene

Star Wars - The Mandalorian S03E01 - S03E08

Star Wars - Rebels S04E16 (Epilogue)?

Star Wars - Ahsoka S01E01 - S01E06

Star Wars - Skeleton Crew S01E01 - S01E06

Rise of the First Order: (18 ABY - 35 ABY)

Star Wars - Resistance S01E01 - S01E07
Star Wars - Resistance - The Search for Kaz
Star Wars - Resistance S01E08 - S01E11
Star Wars - Resistance - Dart and Cover
Star Wars - Resistance - Neeku's Reward
Star Wars - Resistance - When Thieves Drop By
Star Wars - Resistance - Treasure Chest
Star Wars - Resistance - G-LN
Star Wars - Resistance - Bucket's Quest
Star Wars - Resistance - Unmotivated
Star Wars - Resistance - The Need for Speed
Star Wars - Resistance - Sixty Seconds to Destruction
Star Wars - Resistance - Buggle's Day Out
Star Wars - Resistance - The Rematch
Star Wars - Resistance S01E12 - S01E16
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E15
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E05
Star Wars - Battlefront ll - Discoveries
Star Wars - Resistance S01E17
Star Wars - Episode Vll - The Force Awakens

Star Wars - Resistance S01E18
(During Episode Vll)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E01
(During Episode Vll)

Star Wars - Resistance S01E19
(During Episode Vll)?

Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E02
(During Episode Vll)

Star Wars - Resistance S01E19?
(During Episode Vll)

Star Wars - Battlefront ll: Resurrection - Project: Resurrection
(During Episode Vll)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S01E10
(During Episode Vll)
Star Wars - Resistance S01E20
(During Episode Vll)
Star Wars - Battlefront ll: Resurrection - Ashes of the Empire
(During Episode Vll)
Star Wars - Resistance S01E21
(During Episode Vll)

Star Wars - Resistance S02E01?
(During Episode Vll)

Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E13
(During Episode Vll)
Star Wars - Battlefront ll: Resurrection - Inferno
(During Episode Vll)
Star Wars - Episode Vlll - The Last Jedi
Star Wars - Resistance S02E02
(During Episode Vlll)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E08
(During Episode Vlll)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E12
(During Episode Vlll)
Star Wars - Forces of Destiny S02E03
(During Episode Vlll)
Star Wars - Resistance S02E03 - S02E11

Star Wars - Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
Star Wars - Tales from the Galaxy's Edge - Last Call

Star Wars - Resistance S02E12 - S02E16

Star Wars - Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
Star Wars - Tales from the Galaxy's Edge - Last Call

Star Wars - Resistance S02E17 - S02E19
Star Wars - Episode lX - The Rise of Skywalker Prequel - Palpatine's Broadcast
Star Wars - Episode lX - The Rise of Skywalker

Unsure Placement:

Star Wars - A Droid Story
Star Wars - Lando S01E01 - S01E06
Star Wars - Rogue Squadron
Star Wars - Rangers of the New Republic S01E01 - S01E06 (Canceled?)
Kevin Fiege Star Wars Movie
Taika Waititi Star Wars Movie
Rian Johnson Star Wars Trilogy
GOT Creators Star Wars Trilogy
Star Wars Game

I'm absolutely sure this is how Filoni sees it. My question was more about how to treat the episode on the timeline, and whether it's better to fudge it into being two separate events so that we can keep both, or whether I should get rid of one!

Ahh, does it? It's been a long time since I read the book so can't remember specific details like that. I agree it would be a shame to erase it, for a lot of reasons. It's an annoying problem, though, I wish they'd stop doing this! Especially since it would have been so easy to make the details match up with the book (and isn't this exactly what the Story Group is for?)
Filoni commented that TOTJ Episode 6 is based on the same outline that he gave for the Ahsoka novel and that they were always the same story. So canonically they ARE the same event, but it's like how Bad Batch handled the Kanan comics. I'd just place it after the book since it's short and essentially recaps the end with different characters.

The story group is basically there to inform creators what has and hasn't been done in canon and what they can do going forward, but ultimately creators are given a fair amount if not complete freedom to do what they wish. That's why Kenobi could have Vader and Leia for example, because nothing in the originals explicitly says that Leia had never met Obi or that Vader didn't fight him after Mustafar. Dave has previously re-expressed George's views on Legends at the time not being canon to what his world was, and he seems to have that attitude with his own characters.

The Same Rule applies to Dr Who's Relatively Scrambled Timeline as the TV series overwrites what the events of Audio Dramas all the time because it's easier for the audience just watching the show on it's own
Actually Who is a pretty different situation. Who's writers and showrunners specifically reject the idea of "canon" - there is no story group, you can believe in whatever you want, the show occasionally contradicts itself, and generally any conflicts can be explained away by the effects of time travel.

When Star Wars was acquired by Disney back in 2013, they rebooted the expanded universe, declaring all existing material as "Legends" and not canon. From then on, the policy was that all content, regardless of medium, was equally canon, and for the following few years were extremely successful at making books connect to comics connect to shows connect to films, with everything fitting together into one big story. It's a really interesting storytelling experiment and quite unlike any other franchise I can think of. Dr Who was actually inspired by this approach to create the Time Lord Victorious crossover event.

In any case, I for one have really enjoyed Star Wars' interconnected expanded universe - it's why I made this timeline - and hope they continue to support it. It's not just a case of "only films and shows are canon", it supports everything and is really rewarding for those of us who try to keep up with it. I can live with these occasional slips, there are only a few after all, and it's still way more consistent than anything else in pop culture right now!

Couldn't you just hand-wave it away with time travel half the time?

When does it take place?

When does it take place?
I don't even think it was intended to be canon. There's practically no story.

So is the final scene of Andor season one supposed to be a time jump to 4 BBY? Or does the entire season take place in 5 BBY?

I know as of episode 8 of Andor we are still in 5 BBY as on the official Star Wars website under episode 8's trivia gallery it talks about saw garrareas appearances in chronological order
(Sorry for Butchering Saw's last name lol)

I know as of episode 8 of Andor we are still in 5 BBY as on the official Star Wars website under episode 8's trivia gallery it talks about saw garrareas appearances in chronological order
(Sorry for Butchering Saw's last name lol)
You mean Saw Gerrera

Updated with all the latest stuff. Andor S1 is all set in 5 BBY, after Rebels S1 E2. I'm sure it should interweave with Rebels S1 rather than all being in one lump as I've currently placed it, but I'll have to examine the time gaps in Rebels and Andor to make a "best guess" as to the order of events. Hopefully S2 might contain more clues!

Updated with all the latest stuff. Andor S1 is all set in 5 BBY, after Rebels S1 E2. I'm sure it should interweave with Rebels S1 rather than all being in one lump as I've currently placed it, but I'll have to examine the time gaps in Rebels and Andor to make a "best guess" as to the order of events. Hopefully S2 might contain more clues!
Andor should be all before Rebels because Maarva's brick marks her death date as 7972.216.4 which is the CRC calendar before the BBY/ABY one is utilized. A New Hope is 7977, so the 7972 date lines up. The ".216.4" after it should signify how long into the year according to the subreddit r/StarWarsReference. Going off how they've calculated other released dates from the Scum and Villainy reference book, Maarva passed late March or around March 20th. Going back in the season from there, Andor starts in January which still covers the 5 BBY date at the beginning of the show.

So Andor is the beginning of 5 BBY and Rebels starts at the end of 5 BBY since the Empire Day episode has to land in the middle of the following year according to some past Pablo Hidalgo tweets. The Kessel incident they mention would then be referring to Solo years prior instead of the Rebels premiere, and works a little better since I'm sure news of a Jedi on Kessel would've came up in those Coruscant scenes.

Latest posts

Back