Star Wars General Discussion (dedicated to Houde)

I have to ask what the flying **** is up with disney's merchandising department? Let me explain. My little nephew and niece saw episode VII and loved it. So today they went out with me to spend their christmas money. They BOTH wanted EVERY character from episode VII and regardless of if I like them, I was determined to find them the ones they didn't get for christmas.

They found :

Finn, Chewie and move (including a luke who was in the film all of 5 seconds) and ..... there is no Rey. So i looked online when we got back and ... yeah she's not just sold out. I found this :

http://www.shewired.com/outrageous/...s-outrage-exclusion-lead-female-character-rey

Get ready to throw a Kylo Ren-level tantrum. Despite being the lead character in the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, Jakku scavenger/basically flawless character Rey is, well, missing from the merch. This isn't the first time a lead female character has been excluded from "the boys' club" either. Black Widow often finds herself getting the boot from her own Avengers scenes in toy sets, Gamora struggles to be rightfully recognized as a Guardian of the Galaxy, and Princess Leia herself got edited out and replaced in her own iconic moment on a Target T-shirt.

WHAT? how does that make sense? I know some would argue "Well boys dont want to play with girl characters" But they do my nephew wants a rey. When I was growing up you know what the hot **** ?

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=48577078

Wait a minute that has the pink and yellow ranger on it! NOOOooooooooo I'll grow up wrong. Oh wait no i turned out fine. Why is Disney insisting on No rey , no Black Widow and more?

Now I know disney defenders will defend it and say **** you if you do as that doesn't help kids like my nephew or niece, As you can tell I'm pissed. Not just because of this but the fact everyone seems ok with it and I am left in that weird position of been pissed I can't buy a character I hate. I was just going to creare a **** disney thread but i thought it fit better here

I have to ask what the flying **** is up with disney's merchandising department? Let me explain. My little nephew and niece saw episode VII and loved it. So today they went out with me to spend their christmas money. They BOTH wanted EVERY character from episode VII and regardless of if I like them, I was determined to find them the ones they didn't get for christmas.

They found :

Finn, Chewie and move (including a luke who was in the film all of 5 seconds) and ..... there is no Rey. So i looked online when we got back and ... yeah she's not just sold out. I found this :

http://www.shewired.com/outrageous/...s-outrage-exclusion-lead-female-character-rey

WHAT? how does that make sense? I know some would argue "Well boys dont want to play with girl characters" But they do my nephew wants a rey. When I was growing up you know what the hot **** ?

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=48577078

Wait a minute that has the pink and yellow ranger on it! NOOOooooooooo I'll grow up wrong. Oh wait no i turned out fine. Why is Disney insisting on No rey , no Black Widow and more?

Now I know disney defenders will defend it and say **** you if you do as that doesn't help kids like my nephew or niece, As you can tell I'm pissed. Not just because of this but the fact everyone seems ok with it and I am left in that weird position of been pissed I can't buy a character I hate. I was just going to creare a **** disney thread but i thought it fit better here

I had same problem trying to find a Rey figure for my niece. Had to spend four times its price on eBay. Sigh.

But it's ultimately the toy maker calling the shots on the figure assortment and allotment, so the blame lies with Hasbro. They did the same thing with Avengers and excluding Black Widow, but the Rey thing is ten times worse since she's the MAIN character of the film.

I assure you, not everyone is ok with this, hence the huge backlash (like the article you posted) online and on social media about this issue.

It's not DISNEY, it's Hasbro.

I had same problem trying to find a Rey figure for my niece. Had to spend four times its price on eBay. Sigh.

But it's ultimately the toy maker calling the shots on the figure assortment and allotment, so the blame lies with Hasbro. They did the same thing with Avengers and excluding Black Widow, but the Rey thing is ten times worse since she's the MAIN character of the film.

I assure you, not everyone is ok with this, hence the huge backlash (like the article you posted) online and on social media about this issue.

It's not DISNEY, it's Hasbro.

I'm not sure on that as Hasbro use to loads of female toys under Lucas, Hell i own loads of Padme , Leia , Mara Jade and Asajj Ventress figures PLUS Hasbro don't make clothes and most dont have her on (i say most as I've not seen any but dont want to assume) also lets not forget they did this to http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/files/2013/05/send-bryan.jpg

Also this year hasbro on their side heavily pushed this

http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2015/07/Victorion1.jpg

an all female transformer combiner called victorion

To me it's obvious is Disney BUT its only one section. As movies + tv (though we needed black widow movie) say one thing BUT toys , t-shirts, lunchbags ect... all say another. Hasbro does NOT make the clothes , the lunch bags and more they do the toys. So the blame is with some part of disney it has to be.

I'm not saying Hasbro doesn't occasionally release female action figures, I'm just saying they do so poorly, as evidenced by the conversation we're having about it.

I never said they don't release female action figures, just that they dropped the ball here.

It ultimately is he decision of the company making the products which products they make, not Disney. While the IP is licensed from Disney, the ones who make decisions about the line up for the action figure waves are Hasbro themselves.

The other merchandise featuring a dearth of Rey or other female characters like Black Widow on MCU stuff is likely due to the same misguided assumption that only boys are interested in Star Wars stuff.

I seriously doubt Disney is going to make and market a Star Wars film with a female as lead character and then intentionally not merchandise that female main character. That seems illogical. It's likely the merchandise makers calling those shots.

Last edited:
http://www.mtv.com/news/2688307/female-star-wars-toys-selling-out/

However, this scarcity doesn't explicitly mean that there are fewer female action figures in production than male ones, as many customers might fear from checking out their local stores. Several sources we spoke to noted that "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" figures were produced in relatively equal amounts to one another, because licensors weren't sure which of the new characters would sell the best — and are planning to adjust after the movie is released, accordingly...

And sales volume aside, there's hope beyond the holiday season that things are starting to shift in the toy aisle. While the demand for female characters and girl-centered "Star Wars" toys is still much higher than the current supply, it's not for lack of trying this time around — across the board, Disney, Lucasfilm and its toy licensers claim that they are making an active, concentrated effort to include girls in their consumer base. Even Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has spoken out about the need for more female representation, and if she has her way we'll also be seeing more and more inclusion in the "Star Wars" line as the franchise continues into the future.

So hopefully that means Series 2 waves will feature more Rey.

It COULD be due to the character being popular (as main character), which is encouraging, but I'm not sure that's actually the case. I do think Rey was short packed in the waves based on the abundance of male SW-TFA figures still gracing shelves.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Hasbro doesn't occasionally release female action figures, I'm just saying they do so poorly, as evidenced by the conversation we're having about it.

I never said they don't release female action figures, just that they dropped the ball here.

It ultimately is he decision of the company making the products which products they make, not Disney. While the IP is licensed from Disney, the ones who make decisions about the line up for the action figure waves are Hasbro themselves.

The other merchandise featuring a dearth of Rey or other female characters like Black Widow on MCU stuff is likely due to the same misguided assumption that only boys are interested in Star Wars stuff.

I seriously doubt Disney is going to make and market a Star Wars film with a female as lead character and then intentionally not merchandise that female main character. That seems illogical. It's likely the merchandise makers calling those shots.

That's sort of true but not entirely, like I said it's the same on t-shirts ect... and theres been a notable decline of them since. Plus they do have a say that's why there's no FF or xmen movie toys or why characters deleted make it but rey never. They have licence BUT they can't just make anything they have to run it by them first. Also i was saying the number has declined since it can't be a coincidence

as for

Maybe , maybe not as it's odd they would ALL do the same thing. Plus disney makes some odd choices in marketing / merchandising ect.. like a friend of mine today said he was not going to see the force awakens because he';; just stick to the episodes not the spin offs. As here at least posters , trailers ect... it's all "Star wars the force awakens" like it's ashamed to call it's self "episode VII" which is it's big draw IMO

It seems likely someone in disney would say something like "Boys dont want girls on their stuff. remove them and we'll sell more" Is it 100% likely to be their fault? no but I think it's most likely I mean look at Infinity, Black widow + Gamora + Jesse were all starter characters in their playsets of Avengers/Guardians/toy story. Because they feel they wont sell. Spider-man toys no White Tiger shes a summon disk! and black cat! meaning the two females in spider-man = no toy. Those are 100% on Disney's gaming division on who to include and how.

So yeah I think it's part of disney NOT the whole thing as they do seem to be at odds. Like Marvel movies + marvel tv departments now seem to have fallen out ect..

However who ever's fault it was as we can't say 100% It's wrong and needs to change soon

Last edited:
That's sort of true but not entirely, like I said it's the same on t-shirts ect... and theres been a notable decline of them since.

Again, it's the merchandiser who decides on designs/character focuses/etc for the various stuff.

Plus they do have a say that's why there's no FF or xmen movie toys or why characters deleted make it but rey never.[/quote[

That's actually completely different. The reason there were no FF or X-Men toys is due to the pissing match between Marvel/Ike Perlmutter and Fox.

And that had nothing to do with Marvel saying they couldn't make certain characters, that was Marvel denying them the right to make anything based on those intellectual properties, not only certain characters. So not the same at all.

They have licence BUT they can't just make anything they have to run it by them first. Also i was saying the number has declined since it can't be a coincidence

Sure, they have to get approvals, but as I said, it's illogical for Disney to make a film starring a female lead and then intentionally keep her at the back of the bus regarding merchandise. I think that has far more to do with the merchandisers than Disney.

as for

Maybe , maybe not as it's odd they would ALL do the same thing. Plus disney makes some odd choices in marketing / merchandising ect.. like a friend of mine today said he was not going to see the force awakens because he';; just stick to the episodes not the spin offs. As here at least posters , trailers ect... it's all "Star wars the force awakens" like it's ashamed to call it's self "episode VII" which is it's big draw IMO

Not really. It clearly shows Episode VII on the opening crawl. I think Disney just isn't leaning as heavily on the Episode number in marketing because they want each film to have more of an individual identity. I don't agree with that decision, but I can understand it.

It seems likely someone in disney would say something like "Boys dont want girls on their stuff. remove them and we'll sell more" Is it 100% likely to be their fault? no but I think it's most likely I mean look at Infinity, Black widow + Gamora + Jesse were all starter characters in their playsets of Avengers/Guardians/toy story. Because they feel they wont sell. Spider-man toys no White Tiger shes a summon disk! and black cat! meaning the two females in spider-man = no toy. Those are 100% on Disney's gaming division on who to include and how.

So yeah I think it's part of disney NOT the whole thing as they do seem to be at odds. Like Marvel movies + marvel tv departments now seem to have fallen out ect..

However who ever's fault it was as we can't say 100% It's wrong and needs to change soon

Well Hasbro has already said they'll be increasing Rey in next waves. Apparently she was packed equally in boxes, so that would indicate she's just selling very well and can't be found on store shelves. We'll see.

Well Hasbro has already said they'll be increasing Rey in next waves. Apparently she was packed equally in boxes, so that would indicate she's just selling very well and can't be found on store shelves. We'll see.

Yeah hasbro are good they took action,

Now if t-shirts (like the one that replaced Leia with luke or no black widow on avengers one ect.... learn and the rest of disney's marketing it'll be good :)

CW3pADlWYAUZ1pX.jpg

CXB86akUEAAvwh1.jpg

WE NEED A SHIP NAME!

I have to ask what the flying **** is up with disney's merchandising department?

Which figures were you looking for? There is a 3.75" Rey out and another with a lightsaber coming soon. There is also an Infinity figure.

Which figures were you looking for? There is a 3.75" Rey out and another with a lightsaber coming soon. There is also an Infinity figure.

I was looking in my local toys r us and they had none and I asked to check they had no listed as been in. Then i looked online and you see the link. Infinity figure doesn't count as that just basically DLC. It was just shocking is all lucyily as mentioned in this thread by another hasbro said they are releasing more.

But yeah you listed 1 out 1 not out 1 dlc , that means 1 out and even then not sure if released here yet. Yet there is alot of figures of the darth vader cosplayer from same movie and hes on loads of stuff.

Yeah Rey was sold out completely near me too. I can believe that they released equal amounts of the Rey figure and they sold out due to her being main character, but even the multi-pack sets (3-5 figures) don't feature a single Rey. Meanwhile there are plenty of peg warmers of random characters. :(

Looking forward to them releasing the next wave. Really want to get Rey w/ lightsaber for my neice without having to pay 4 times its retail value.

Yeah Rey was sold out completely near me too. I can believe that they released equal amounts of the Rey figure and they sold out due to her being main character, but even the multi-pack sets (3-5 figures) don't feature a single Rey. Meanwhile there are plenty of peg warmers of random characters. :(

Looking forward to them releasing the next wave. Really want to get Rey w/ lightsaber for my neice without having to pay 4 times its retail value.

not sure they did release equal either. As like i said my local toysrus didn't have her listed.

Now my local "entertainer" (another shop here i know some who works there) they got 5 of her that's it! as I phoned my friend to get one kept. some sources in usa are saying she was limited release. Not unheard of for certain toys as they can do the "sold out" at it further ups demand

Last edited:
But yeah you listed 1 out 1 not out 1 dlc , that means 1 out and even then not sure if released here yet. Yet there is alot of figures of the darth vader cosplayer from same movie and hes on loads of stuff.

There isn't one of her in the larger size (not sure what that line is called) but those are garbage anyway.

I don't know if there is a Black Series of her but I can't find those anywhere either way.

Turns out there are quite a few Rey figures. They're just really hard to find because everyone wants them.

But again it's not JUST single toys I mean http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/257.jpg Why? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/12/29/02/2FA8D81E00000578-3377010-image-m-41_1451357344549.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...pack_of_Star_Wars_bein-a-53_1451357791501.jpg Why is not allowed in packs with boy characters

It reminds me of this http://www.geekshirtshq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Avengers-Movie-T-Shirt.jpg?fe9113 where the hell is black widow?

I don't know to me it's dumb and clearly gives a "boys and girls can not play together" message I hate

Obi-Wan and Anakin #1 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the flashback scene, young Anakin is terrifying.

[video=youtube;XSaaa_OBkzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw[/video]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back