Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Besides, are we not allowed to have Street Fighter movies featuring Chun-Li now? Even the marketing execs have conceded that they want to develop future prospects for other characters, so it's not like they're in some kind of deluded place where they think that Street Fighter begins and ends with Chun-Li and Chun-Li alone.

featuring Chun-Li? Yes , Using Chun-Li as the main charracter , naming it after her and getting an actress who is not only wrong for the part but can't act? No

I'll say should this come out and be good (which I highly doubt) I'll say I was wrong but this just seems too much like catwoman , Electra , D.O.A and films of that nature where the only thing it has going for it is "hot chick fighting"

Ourchair said:
I never asked for proof of what fans think

Ourchair said:
d) prove that 98% of all fans only care about the Ryu story of the game.

Might have read that wrong but sounds like you did.

But serious question How many think this will actually be good? and How many are only excusing it because I said it would suck?

Actually, I always found Miss Kruek to be painfully boring to watch. About the way I feel about Ryu/Ken/Akuma's storyline.

Seriously, outside of Guile, Chun-Li has the most bankable backstory. Simple cop revenge flick, Hong Kong's been making billions off the formula for decades. Personally, I'd rather seen someone with some kind of martial arts background, like Zhang Ziyi playing Chun-Li.

That's just my opinion. As if it really matters.

PS: Your last post was rather sexist Mole. Are you saying strong women in films can't be taken seriously?

Last edited:
......and now Doom's 2 yen:

I think the idea to have the film center on Chun-Li's character rather than Ryu/Ken is a smart move storytelling-wise.

Like Skotti already said....reading thru all the comics, Chun-Li's storyline is the only one that seems to have a beginning and feasible end. She is an Interpol agent searching for her lost father in an international terrorist organization. She finds her father dead and now wants revenge. You got a beginning, middle and possible end.

Ryu's story is a little deeper than him just trying to find Akuma and avenge his master's death. Ryu's story involves him traveling the world searching for the true meaning of battle/fighting. It's an existential story. Always ongoing. There could possibly be no end.

Maybe if it was an actual TV series...then I could see it focusing on Ryu. Watching a lone warrior travel the world? Worked for David Carradine. But for a 90-120 minute film, not so much. I'd focus on the Chun-Li aspect and have the film feature all the different fighters/side characters she'd come across in the underground world of street fighting tournaments. All fighting for their own reasons. And should some of those reasons seems to coincide with Chun-Li's adjectives....then great. But if not, you've still got your center character working towards a believable end.

With all that said, I think the casting of Kristen Kruek is all wrong. She can barely act her way out of an already-cut plastic bag on "Smallville". Having her be the main character trying to lead a big feature film? Not a good idea. I guess the rest of you would rather have Lucy Liu?

I think the film could be decent. One can only expect so much from a videogame based film. And that's my feelings on the film and not because I'm on the "STFU Silly Mole Bandwagon".

Last edited:
PS: Your last post was rather sexist Mole. Are you saying strong women in films can't be taken seriously?

If they are done based on charracter. E.g Buffy the film , House of Flying Daggers , Kill Bill ect... then yes. I have no problem if it's male or female if they care about the story.

But when it becomes just about the fact shes hot and it has some fighting then no as the film just a way to please people who want to see boobs and violence and then the film normally lacks story , decent charracter ect...

Sorry Skotti if you thought I was been sexiest

Victor Von Doom said:
With all that said, I think the casting of Kristen Kruek is all wrong. She can barely act her way out of an already-cut plastic bag on "Smallville". Having her be the main character trying to lead a big feature film? Not a good idea.

Thank you , That's one of the things i've been saying

Last edited:
I'll say should this come out and be good (which I highly doubt) I'll say I was wrong but this just seems too much like catwoman , Electra , D.O.A and films of that nature where the only thing it has going for it is "hot chick fighting"
I don't think Catwoman and Elektra were stupid ideas for movies because they were all about hot chicks fighting.

They were, however stupid movies for making the idea all about hot chicks fighting.

SSJmole said:
Might have read that wrong but sounds like you did.
Damn, I forgot! You got me!

On a personal level, I agree: Kristin Kreuk carrying the lead role in her own movie is a disaster waiting to happen. But I tend to cut a lot of actors slack, and the same goes for Kreuk because lousy actors get better in the ff. ways:

a) Being directed well. I don't necessarily mean, being in a well directed movie or even a great one, but any actress will tell you that part of the performance created comes from the director too, as he/she guides the actress through a scene. And since nobody in Smallville actually asks their directors to ask their actors to do anything, then nobody is getting directed well.

b) Working opposite of actors who are ten times better than them, that they have to start shaping up. It's like what happens to most actors who end up being paired opposite of Morgan Freeman. And since nobody in Smallville is actually 10% the actor that Morgan Freeman is, Kristin Kreuk will NEVER become a better actress while she is on that show.

c) Working MORE. Let's face it, she does nothing BUT Smallville. Nevermind that it is a bad show, but no actor could work six months a year playing Lana Lang, as she is written, and not suffer for it.

In short, Kristin Kreuk isn't a very good actress. But she still has to PROVE she's a terribly bad one, just as Don Johnson and David Caruso did when they left their hit TV shows.

SSJmole said:
But serious question How many think this will actually be good? and How many are only excusing it because I said it would suck?
As Doom astutely words it: Not all of us are on the "STFU Mole Bandwagon."

I don't think Catwoman and Elektra were stupid ideas for movies because they were all about hot chicks fighting.

They were, however stupid movies for making the idea all about hot chicks fighting.

That's what I mean , had it of been about the film and the charracter it could have worked

Damn, I forgot! You got me!

:lol:

On a personal level, I agree: Kristin Kreuk carrying the lead role in her own movie is a disaster waiting to happen. But I tend to cut a lot of actors slack, and the same goes for Kreuk because lousy actors get better in the ff. ways:

a) Being directed well. I don't necessarily mean, being in a well directed movie or even a great one, but any actress will tell you that part of the performance created comes from the director too, as he/she guides the actress through a scene. And since nobody in Smallville actually asks their directors to ask their actors to do anything, then nobody is getting directed well.

b) Working opposite of actors who are ten times better than them, that they have to start shaping up. It's like what happens to most actors who end up being paired opposite of Morgan Freeman. And since nobody in Smallville is actually 10% the actor that Morgan Freeman is, Kristin Kreuk will NEVER become a better actress while she is on that show.

c) Working MORE. Let's face it, she does nothing BUT Smallville. Nevermind that it is a bad show, but no actor could work six months a year playing Lana Lang, as she is written, and not suffer for it.

In short, Kristin Kreuk isn't a very good actress. But she still has to PROVE she's a terribly bad one, just as Don Johnson and David Caruso did when they left their hit TV shows.

As Doom astutely words it: Not all of us are on the "STFU Mole Bandwagon."

But the series did have John Glover , John Schneider , Annette O'Toole. I would say Michael Rosenbaum but I'm not sure if everyone else likes him. It also had Christopher Reeve for a couple of episodes and Margot Kidder for a couple of episodes. And still Kristin sucks.

But the series did have John Glover , John Schneider , Annette O'Toole.
All actors that Kristin Kreuk's character barely interacts with.

I mean, God, she has to spend 75% of what little screen time she has with Tom ****ing Welling.

SSJmole said:
I would say Michael Rosenbaum but I'm not sure if everyone else likes him.
He's alright. He's good when they give him something to do and he's as committed to the material as can be.

SSJmole said:
It also had Christopher Reeve for a couple of episodes and Margot Kidder for a couple of episodes. And still Kristin sucks.
Christopher Reeve does not act.

Margot Kidder is bat**** crazy. She only pretends to be sane for a living.

Okay, hold on. Maybe I'm harsh. These actors are veterans... career performers, not glamour whoring stars. Working actors, not celebrities.

But remember that there are THREE factors, not just one, that exist in Smallville that guarantee that Kreuk will continue to stink.

So even if I conceded that you have proven Smallville has great actors that challenge Kreuk to rise to a better standard of acting, they're still stuck in a TV show with crappy direction.

It's not like any of those great actors are actually being asked to do anything either, so there's not a single moment where Kreuk will be at rehearsals wowzing her eyes out at John Glover doing a terrifically impassioned performance.

And even if I'm overstating it's crap value --- let's hypothesize that Smallville is only 50% crap --- she's still got a crappy role in which she doesn't get to hang out with the characters being played by actors better than Tom Welling and Mike Rosenbaum (who is good, but not crazy-*** OMFG I better start taking some classes good).

And even if I'm overstating it's crap value --- let's hypothesize that Smallville is only 50% crap --- she's still got a crappy role in which she doesn't get to hang out with the characters being played by actors better than Tom Welling and Mike Rosenbaum (who is good, but not crazy-*** OMFG I better start taking some classes good).

True , I liked smallville till season 5 (though I did enjoy seeing James in it ... but that's not the point :lol: I enjoy seeing him in anything) But yeah that is true about smallville.

the first two are good choices. The others ..... no.

Ving Rhames is pretty much a given. These days, if you need a big black actor with a deep voice, you turn to either Ving Rhames or Michael Clarke Duncan.

I still can't get over how ****ty the casting of Chun-Li is though. That's going to **** up the movie for me.

I still can't get over how ****ty the casting of Chun-Li is though. That's going to **** up the movie for me.

When I said that you defended it because she was hot :lol:

Ving Rhames is pretty much a given. These days, if you need a big black actor with a deep voice, you turn to either Ving Rhames or Michael Clarke Duncan.

Actually Michael Clarke Duncan IS who they picked it says on your link not Ving.

without clicking the link let me guess, MCDh is Balrog?

and Kristin Kreuk is not that hot, I've been waiting 4 years for the folks on Smallville to kill her off cuz i can't stand Kristin at all, and on every season finally they get my hopes, up to dash them away in the premiere so i skip the entire season because i can't stand Kristin, watch the premiere in hopes that she kicks the bucket, get excited, watch premiere and she comes back! rinse repeat

someone should kill stab that ***** in the eye with a soldering iron

Last edited:
and Kristin Kreuk is not that hot, I've been waiting 4 years for the folks on Smallville to kill her off cuz i can't stand Kristin at all, and on every season finally they get my hopes, up to dash them away in the premiere so i skip the entire season because i can't stand Kristin, watch the premiere in hopes that she kicks the bucket, get excited, watch premiere and she comes back! rinse repeat

someone should kill stab that ***** in the eye with a soldering iron

I know. If only someone hadn't saved her from that truck ........

Latest posts

Back