Super Mario (and Nintendo Business)

I'm not talking about Super Mario Bros.-I'm talking about Mario Bros.

my apologies, i also meant mario bros. my typin' hands just got a little overzealous is all.

They had alternate versions of "Mario Bros." in Some of the Super Mario Bros. games-but the game itself should have been updated.

why? the gameplay was solid then and there isn't any real reason to, at least not directly- the super mario series is the successor to that games and builds upon gameplay already established for more gaming... what else would you do?

Am I the only one who thinks SMB continuity is screwed up because Nintendo decided to release the version of SMB II that was based on Doki Doki Panic first, instead of the Japanese version of SMB II, which was identical to the first SMB game?

when the general storyline of a series is "save the princess," at least until SMW, then i'm just going to go ahead and say that yes, yes you are the only one.

besides, you can play super mario bros. II on the SNES all-stars cartridge.

my apologies, i also meant mario bros. my typin' hands just got a little overzealous is all.

why? the gameplay was solid then and there isn't any real reason to, at least not directly- the super mario series is the successor to that games and builds upon gameplay already established for more gaming... what else would you do?

when the general storyline of a series is "save the princess," at least until SMW, then i'm just going to go ahead and say that yes, yes you are the only one.

besides, you can play super mario bros. II on the SNES all-stars cartridge.

The American version of SMB II wasn't about saving a princess-it was a dream.
All the other games that follwed derived from that.

I think the should have just released the Japanese version of SMB II in the US and make sequels based on that.

"Mario Bros." is the successor to all the Super Mario Bros. games and related games that followed.

They updated Donkey Kong, and Wrecking Crew in the '90's-it would have been interesting to see "Mario Bros." updated.

They re-released "Mario Bros." as part of Super Mario Advance.

I would have liked to play Super Mario Bros. Special and Vs. Super Mario Bros. if they'd been releasd on American gaming consoles.

Last edited:
The American version of SMB II wasn't about saving a princess-it was a dream.
All the other games that follwed derived from that.

I think the should have just released the Japanese version of SMB II in the US and make sequels based on that.

if you actually bother to look at the gameplay of super mario bros. III you'll notice that it more accurately resembles an expansion upon the gameplay already established in super mario bros. than super mario bros. II. all the other games following SMB II were not in fact based off of the doki doki panic model- did luigi, peach or toad appear as a playable character with extra abilities in SMB III or super mario world (2 player mode notwithstanding)? the closest thing to a direct influence DDP has had was the nintendo ds re-release of super mario 64, with it's multiple characters.

SMB II (in japan) was a more difficult version of SMB... little more than level design, poison mushrooms and difficulty separate the two. plus, the release of SMB II in america as a reskin of doki doki panic introduced many popular motifs and characters as well as established a basis for diversification of gameplay/abilities in the franchise.

They updated Donkey Kong, and Wrecking Crew in the '90's-it would have been interesting to see "Mario Bros." updated.

the update of donkey kong had little to nothing to do with the original games, save the main character. it can be argued that the updating of donkey kong to a platforming/collection game is more similar to the mario bros./super mario bros. progression than anything else.

also:
"Mario Bros." is the successor to all the Super Mario Bros. games and related games that followed.
didn't you say that the games that followed were derived from the american version of SMB II?

and you mean progenitor, not successor.

There's no reason to update the original Mario Bros. They are far removed from their plumber roots. Mario Bros wasn't terribly popular anyways.

As for why we didn't get the original Super Mario Bros II. . .well, it was considered too hard for the American public at the time. That, and it had gotten a lot of negative feedback in Japan. So, instead, they redid Doki Doki Panic (And be redid, I mean pretty much remade. There's a lot of differences in Super Mario Bros 2 and the original Doki Doki Panic). And Super Mario Bros 3 and its successors were very clearly successors to Super Mario Bros, not the American Super Mario Bros 2. Hence the return to Koopa Troopas, Goombas and Bowser as the main enemies. Only Birdo (Or Christine in Japan), the Shy Guys, and Princess Peach's floating move really came from SMB2. And, even then, we didn't see them for several years.

As far as Zelda being popular (Because it still is. Just look at Twilight Princess' sales), its because they are the quintessential adventure games. Only with Twilight Princess has that formula faltered, and even that is a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice that Miyamoto's most popular adventure gaming franchises all follow the same formula?

Did anyone notice that Miyamoto's most popular adventure gaming franchises all follow the same formula?

Wait. What? Mario, Zelda and Metroid are completely different. :?

Super Mario World for SNES was the pinnacle of the Mario franchise.

I still have yet to play Paper Mario...

I'd probably agree. Although Mario 64 gives it a run for its money. And play Paper Mario. All three are excellent.

I'd probably agree. Although Mario 64 gives it a run for its money. And play Paper Mario. All three are excellent.

quite quite: world is probably my favorite, but mario 64 was such a technological advance for 3d gaming it can probably be cited as the most influential on the series (and gaming? arguably, says i).

Wait. What? Mario, Zelda and Metroid are completely different. :?

Mario, Zelda and DK all involved someone rescuing someone.

Mario, Zelda and DK all involved someone rescuing someone.

DK was a spin off to Mario. So, that doesn't count. Unless you're counting the original, in which case, that technically is a Mario game.

And Zelda and Mario are so vastly different in gameplay and even setting that its not even worth comparing them as "similar".

Last edited:
And Zelda and Mario are so vastly different in gameplay and even setting that its not even worth comparing them as "similar".

especially when you consider the fact the zelda games have never even had a jump button.

They should make a Paper Luigi spin-off.

i totally agree- his (greatly embellished) adventures regarding waffleland and princess eclair could be some really silly fun stuff.

i doubt that would ever happen, though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back