Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters
and that answer lead to the whole but if he still had Kryptonite in him when lex stabbed him (they pulled it out of same spot) why was he not hurt from fall? and why could he fly up to get solar energy?

You could argue that only so much kryptonite is gonna affect him. Similar to getting a big splinter in your side. A small one you might not even notice. But a huge shard would obviously slow you down. So you could get all into semantics and say that a small chip the size they pulled outta him wouldn't affect him. Plus he's Superman! If they can can take a bullet in the eye without blinking....I'm sure he could shrug off a green splinter.

And whose to say he didn't get hurt from the fall. He was exhausted and unconcious when he hit. If I knocked you out and dropped you from a roof----would you feel the pain if you're unconcious?

But whose to say that the little shard won't play a role down the line in another movie?

If I was a non-comic book fan, I would take this moment to quickly pop in and out of the thread to shout

"NERDS!!!!"

And I'd probably do it in a Triumph voice.

You could argue that only so much kryptonite is gonna affect him. Similar to getting a big splinter in your side. A small one you might not even notice. But a huge shard would obviously slow you down. So you could get all into semantics and say that a small chip the size they pulled outta him wouldn't affect him. Plus he's Superman! If they can can take a bullet in the eye without blinking....I'm sure he could shrug off a green splinter.

And whose to say he didn't get hurt from the fall. He was exhausted and unconcious when he hit. If I knocked you out and dropped you from a roof----would you feel the pain if you're unconcious?

But whose to say that the little shard won't play a role down the line in another movie?

We are not going to agree. So lets agree to disagree

but if there is a sequel I want one of two things Zod again or Bizarro!

We are not going to agree. So lets agree to disagree

but if there is a sequel I want one of two things Zod again or Bizarro!

Oh you're getting Zod. I don't think Singer would even think about doing a film with any other villian. Which is a shame.

More on that discussion here.

If he's tossing Zod in, he should have just rebooted the franchise with Superman Returns. I hate Bryan Singer.

I still stand by my Metallo idea.

Yeah he would be a cool villain.

I've never read theses books so I don't know if they would work as film but film 2 films back to back as "the death of superman" and "the return of superman"

Yeah he would be a cool villain.

I've never read theses books so I don't know if they would work as film but film 2 films back to back as "the death of superman" and "the return of superman"

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Superman lifted up an island which had some Kryptonite in it. Alright.

He went back in time by flying around the planet. He made Lois forget his identity with some telepathic kiss. I believe those two are both worse.

So you're saying because something could be a lot worse means that we shouldn't complain about it?

Wow, next time somebody starts *****ing about Osama I'm going to throw Hitler in their face and be done with it.

BINGO!

I don't see how people can cry bloody murder when he lifts an island with some Kryptonite......but let brainwash Lois with a kiss or have him reverse time by flying around the world really fast and their like "Ok...I can dig it."

People DO cry bloody murder about that stuff. The only reason they didn't back then is because it was in the Silver Age and stupid stuff that happened all the time.

yes but it was not shown that he COULDN'T do those things. Maybe silly but they didn't have a scene where they said "You can not reverse time by flying around the planet" like they did with "near kryptonte he's powerless" type thing

This is actually a reasonably valid point, from a storytelling point of view.

Planet-man said:
So you're saying because something could be a lot worse means that we shouldn't complain about it?

No, I was saying how he seems to be fine with one stupid thing, but doesn't care about the other two things.

And I don't get why you're talking about the Osama/Hitler thing, as it's something you do as well.

No, I was saying how he seems to be fine with one stupid thing, but doesn't care about the other two things.

The vast majority of people have a huge problem with those endings. Look at any Superman board on the net.

And I don't get why you're talking about the Osama/Hitler thing, as it's something you do as well.

What, act like something's fine because it could be worse?

Or genocide?:p

The vast majority of people have a huge problem with those endings. Look at any Superman board on the net.

What, act like something's fine because it could be worse?

Or genocide?:p

Both?

I'm little more forgiving of Superman I because it was it made in 1978 and they only had Pre Crisis Superman stories to draw on as source material. Superman I was pretty close to the source material of the time. Seriously Pre crisis Superman made no sense what so ever (have you ever read a Superman comic from the 60s, Superman could juggle planets and would have a new super power depending on what the plot demanded.)

However this isn't 1978 anymore and Singer had way more source material to draw upon than Donner ever did (Post crisis Superman stories and STAS for example.) I was expecting a Superman with a more reasonable power set, like Post crisis Superman. Also I was expecting a Lex that was actually an intelligent and threatening villain, not the same wacky criminal who is obessed with real estate from 1978. The fact that Singer had all that source material to draw upon and just made a rehash of Superman I, that's just lame.

Last edited:
I'm little more forgiving of Superman I because it was it 1978 and they only had Pre Crisis Superman stories to draw on as source material. Superman I was pretty close to the source material of the time. Seriously Pre crisis Superman made no sense what so ever (have you ever a Superman comic from the 60s, Superman could juggle planets and would have a new super power depending on what the plot demanded.)

However this isn't 1978 anymore and Singer had way more source material to draw upon than Donner ever did (Post crisis Superman stories and STAS for example.) I was expecting a Superman with a more resonable power set, like Post crisis Superman. Also I was expecting a Lex that was actually an intelligent and threatening villain, not the same wacky criminal who is obessed with real estate from 1978. The fact that Singer had all that source material to draw upon and just made a rehash of Superman I, that's just lame.

Exactly

I'm little more forgiving of Superman I because it was it made in 1978 and they only had Pre Crisis Superman stories to draw on as source material. Superman I was pretty close to the source material of the time. Seriously Pre crisis Superman made no sense what so ever (have you ever read a Superman comic from the 60s, Superman could juggle planets and would have a new super power depending on what the plot demanded.)

However this isn't 1978 anymore and Singer had way more source material to draw upon than Donner ever did (Post crisis Superman stories and STAS for example.) I was expecting a Superman with a more reasonable power set, like Post crisis Superman. Also I was expecting a Lex that was actually an intelligent and threatening villain, not the same wacky criminal who is obessed with real estate from 1978. The fact that Singer had all that source material to draw upon and just made a rehash of Superman I, that's just lame.
It's the gospel truth.

All right, I just watched this, finally, and it's true, it totally didn't make sense that he was able to lift the island. It was only a few minutes before that he was getting his *** handed to him because the very island was laced with Kryptonite!

Anyway, other than that, it was okay. I hate Superkid though. Really, really, really hated. I think it handicaps this franchise in a totally unnecessary way.

Oh, and Kate Bosworth was completely miscast. Actually, she should have traded roles with Parker Posey. That would have been perfect.

Last edited:
All right, I just watched this, finally, and it's true, it totally didn't make sense that he was able to lift the island. It was only a few minutes before that he was getting his *** handed to him because the very island was laced with Kryptonite!

Anyway, other than that, it was okay. I hate Superkid though. Really, really, really hated. I think it handicaps this franchise in a totally unnecessary way.

Oh, and Kate Bosworth was completely miscast.

This post is pretty much the universal consensus on the film, from everyone I know in real life and the majority of the internet folks too.

Latest posts

Back