ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
E and I were talking about terrible art on Twitter recently and came up with a good idea for a thread: The Comic Board's Worst Comic Art Ever. We've all been exposed to bad art in many of the comics we've read so why not collect it and mock the **** out of it? Here are just four of the best examples I've seen. Feel free to post your own but try to restrict it to one piece of art per artist, otherwise this whole thread is going to be full of terrible Rob Liefeld drawings.

Rob Liefeld
ohgodwhyliefeld.jpg

The classic picture everyone posts whenever there's a discussion about bad art in comics. This summarizes everything that is wrong with Liefeld. The worst artist ever.

Howard Chaykin
punishchaykin.png

I decided I quite like Chaykin (which is how the whole conversation got started) though I do admit he has drawn some terrible stuff, particularly this panel from Punisher MAX #50. Look at the guy's arm: what the hell is going on there? That thing is not human. We need to kill it. With fire.

Tom Raney
fantasticraney.png

Raney is one of my least favourite artists ever (even though I actually like Avengers Academy I refuse to read the issues he draws). My first exposure to him was in Stormwatch (where he was competing with Bryan Hitch) but we all remember how bad the switch from Steve McNiven to Raney halfway through Ultimate Secret was. This panel from The Sentry: Fallen Sun (which is a bad comic all over; this is the one where they revealed Rogue had been having sex with the Sentry out of nowhere) is probably the best example of how bad Raney is. Again, it appears that comic artists just don't understand human proportions. Look at those ****ing arms.

David Finch
goofyfinch.jpg

For some reason, David Finch is a superstar. I have never understood why. This panel, from early in Bendis' New Avengers run, is a particular favourite of mine that I used to post EVERYWHERE. This isn't Captain America; this is Captain Goofy. Matt Damon!

Last edited:
Great idea, Proj. Matt Damon!

but How do you expect to follow a series if you refuse to read issues in which you don't like the art (AA, Thunderbolts, Hulk, Avengers)?

Great idea, Proj. Matt Damon!

but How do you expect to follow a series if you refuse to read issues in which you don't like the art (AA, Thunderbolts, Hulk, Avengers)?

Recaps. Also: one should be able to pick up any issue of a comic and understand the basics of what is going on.

I can distinctly remember some really bad renderings of Harry Osborn in some old Spectacular Spider-Man issues I'll have to try and dig up. Also, a lot of the art in the Clone Saga is terrible...I'll see if I can pick some specific examples.

otherwise this whole thread is going to be full of terrible Rob Liefeld drawings.

This is going to be hard not to do.

but we all remember how bad the switch from Steve McNiven to Raney halfway through Ultimate Secret was

Besides the fact that all of the heads he draws are grossly disproportionate from the bodies (compounded by the fact that this came right after Steve McNiven, who has no such problem), just the general body language of the characters and the way they carry themselves was wrong (and again, too different from McNiven for him to be an acceptable replacement).

There was one panel that really stuck out with me where Tony Stark is sitting down and talking to everyone else and it just looks wrong. All of the charisma and bigger-than-life characterization of Tony Stark that was built up in Ultimates was wiped away in that one panel, and he became a cartoon talking to other cartoons.

Here is something I made a while back, then lost and subsequently found on someones blog again.

tumblr_l8cznth9Zi1qc8dsno1_500.jpg

(these are all from different panels obviously.)

Last edited:
:lol: - that's hilarious.

Pascal Alixe

images

I was trying to find the very grotesque Ult. Psylocke but failed. (Prolly for the best). His characters were just so horrifying, pudgy, brutes.

While I don't hate him, and some of his stuff is decent, Tony Daniel has produced some serious WTF-ery.

tombraider36pg19.jpg

I laughed so hard at that Thing art while at work today.

So there's this really ugly panel from Paco Medina's upcoming Ultimate X-Men, as previewed at the end of today's Ultimates #1. Stay tuned for it shortly... (Off to a great start, new UU!)

I laughed so hard at that Thing art while at work today.

So there's this really ugly panel from Paco Medina's upcoming Ultimate X-Men, as previewed at the end of today's Ultimates #1. Stay tuned for it shortly... (Off to a great start, new UU!)

I have it screencapped - I just need to upload it.

Here's the Ultimate X-Men #1 thing DJF is talking about:

photo2-4.png

Here's a gem I just saw by Manuel Garcia in Supreme Power #3:

photo-2.png

Here's one I found - this is Neal Adams from Batman: Odyssey -

batman-odyssey-neal-adams.jpg

That's not so much that the art is bad, rather that the art and story are completely at odds. I'm not sure who's fault that would be.

That's not so much that the art is bad, rather that the art and story are completely at odds. I'm not sure who's fault that would be.

Neal Adams wrote and drew Batman: Odyssey.

Well, that clears that up.

Again, it's not that the art is bad, only that it is inappropriate for the story. In this case, that's all Neal Adams' fault, but I wouldn't say the art is of the "worst ever". Inappropriate, sure.

I would say it's pretty bad.

Latest posts

Back