The All About Comics Thread 4: Gemini Loves Crappy Variant Covers

Yikes.

Anyway, has anyone read the Ares mini that started last week? It's by the guy who did the Beta-Ray Bill mini earlier this year, and it's basically Ares being a drill instructor for select HAMMER troops (the real plot comes in at the end of the issue). I liked it, the humor worked without being stupid, and I'm looking forward to more.

Yikes.

Anyway, has anyone read the Ares mini that started last week? It's by the guy who did the Beta-Ray Bill mini earlier this year, and it's basically Ares being a drill instructor for select HAMMER troops (the real plot comes in at the end of the issue). I liked it, the humor worked without being stupid, and I'm looking forward to more.

It's by Kieron Gillen, who is the upcoming writer on Thor and S.W.O.R.D.

He also writes Phonogram. Phonogram rules.

I almost posted this in the sports thread, but I was worried those guys would beat me up and steal my lunch money.

Bears Linebacker Lance Briggs Talks about why Batman Forever is better than The Dark Knight.

This guy's blog is wonderful.

Lance said:
Spiderman vs. Venom comics is definitely one of my favorite series. The Venom character was created by DC Comics.

I don't... what?

Last edited:
Rob Liefeld draws Lady Deadpool:

1257266301.jpg

It characterizes everything that's terrible about Rob Liefeld's drawing style (i.e. everything about Rob Liefeld's drawing style), yet is somehow perfectly fitting.

Last edited:

1257266301.jpg

It characterizes everything that's terrible about Rob Liefeld's drawing style (i.e. everything about Rob Liefeld's drawing style), yet is somehow perfectly fitting.

Not to mention he's missing 2 sheathes.

EDIT: POUCHES...I can't help but be angry and yet...this is liefeld. You can't be mad at the snake for eating the bird. Just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
I almost posted this in the sports thread, but I was worried those guys would beat me up and steal my lunch money.

Bears Linebacker Lance Briggs Talks about why Batman Forever is better than The Dark Knight.

This guy's blog is wonderful.

I....I....I....

There are no words.

FINALLY SOMEONE GETS WHAT I'M THINKING!!!!

1257266301.jpg

I want Liefeld to draw all my comics.

ALL of them.

I am reading U.S. War Machine MAX. It is one of the most awkwardly written comics I've ever read. Chuck Austen wrote and drew it. It's about Jim Rhodes after he's fired from Stark Industries for killing two terrorists in the War Machine armour. He ends up being hired by Fury to lead a black ops team made up of a bunch of War Machine armours.

There are a whole bunch of scenes which imply that Austen is trying to tell some great commentary on racism or something but they're so awkward and abrupt... it's bizarre.

The art looks like a cross between manga and really basic superhero stuff except for the various armours, which are computer generated. The whole thing looks like some old webcomic.

Anyway, Darkhawk was just introduced and it reminded me of Warren Ellis's desire to do a Darkhawk MAX comic. I still want it.

I've seen that around and it is one of the few MAX series I haven't read. I didn't bother seeking it out because Chuck Austen sucks.

Greg Rucka's new original series, Stumptown, came out this week.

And it was awesome. Seems like it will be a nice companion to Brubaker's Criminal.

Sooo according to Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine, Marvel Boy had quit the Avengers, which is why nobody's been using him apparently (I must have missed that issue of Dark Avengers). The issue itself is pretty good, it's basically Marvel Boy and Fantomex fighting Weapon Plus mutants and mind controlled Wolverine, and it's by Jason Aaron so you know it's fun.

Greg Rucka's new original series, Stumptown, came out this week.

And it was awesome. Seems like it will be a nice companion to Brubaker's Criminal.

I really enjoyed it, though I did call
the vest at the end/beginning

Probably Bendis had no idea what to do with Marvel boy, so he took him off.

Good!

Also:

1 in 10 of American book buyers also read comics. 70% of comic book readers also read real books.

The national average is 56%. Only 56% of the American population reads books. How retarded is that? Kudos to us, I guess.

If these numbers are correct, that means 5.6% of the population is cross-literate, and 8% of the population reads comics. About 2.5% exclusively reads comics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back