The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

Get the Showcase. Its fantastic. And one of the few that Black and White printing doesn't hurt.

I just can't. I can't read those things. I hate the paper they use and without color I can't figure out what's going on.

IDW is doing a new KISS series. It's the most entertainingly stupid comic I've read in a long time.

If the old KISS comics are like this I might have to try and track them down.

Did anyone read Mars Attacks #1? It was pretty good!

I picked up two new books in the Image $0.99 #1 sale that I wasn't too impressed with...Mudman and Mondo.

A few weeks ago I bought Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter by Darwyn Cooke and I finally just read it. I really enjoyed it. About halfway through I realized that a lot of the plot and names resembled those from the movie Payback, which is one of my all-time favorites, and I looked it up and found that the book this comic was based on was also the basis of Payback as well as a few other movies.

Anyway it's really good and I recommend it. Next up is the next book in the series, The Outfit.

There is a new He-Man comic written by James Robinson and drawn by Phillip Tan and no one told me about it. I'm hurt. I was big into He-Man when I was little.

Prince Adam seems to have some kind of amnesia and he's attacked by Beast Man. He fights him and starts remembering how to fight, surprising himself.

He-Man is just about as corny as it gets but it has a special place in my heart. The first issue was pretty good and I'll keep reading.

There is a new He-Man comic written by James Robinson and drawn by Phillip Tan and no one told me about it. I'm hurt. I was big into He-Man when I was little.

Prince Adam seems to have some kind of amnesia and he's attacked by Beast Man. He fights him and starts remembering how to fight, surprising himself.

He-Man is just about as corny as it gets but it has a special place in my heart. The first issue was pretty good and I'll keep reading.

homo-erotic

Is anyone going to Wizard World Chicago this weekend? I've got a couple things I'm looking for and can't make it.

I just read Black Kiss 2 #1 by Howard Chaykin and what did I just read I don't even

I really, really liked the Muppets comics that Roger Langridge did a while back. I've always liked the Muppets anyway so I read Muppets #2 (couldn't find #1 but I doubt that matters).

What a disappointment. All through reading it I thought how it was too bad Langridge wasn't doing the books anymore (I thought I'd read that he was done with them) because this just wasn't funny. It was rushed or something...the humor in the other books was a lot wittier and this wasn't.

And to my surprise I saw on the last page that Langridge did write it. I don't know what happened but this is kind of a big step down from the earlier books.

So I found the link to all the Authority comics, and I read them.

They suffered a severe lack of quality after the Ellis/Miller era until Brubaker wrote them, in which there was an uptick.

The Lost Years sage was interesting. Randomly drifting from multiverse to multiverse trying to find their way home after the Carrier lost it's baby universe.

But what really impressed me was the Storm's End part of the saga. I wasn't expecting anything good at all, and instead I got brilliance. It seems the writers here remembered that there are multiple century babies, not just the Jenny ones. I like how when the world ended, the Doctor went mad and tried to eradicate humanity. Hell, Deathblow and Grifter, two characters who I thought sucked, after reading their parts, were hilarious. Them being forced off the Earth due to the Carrier being towed to an alien slaughter house was great. A romp through space which included death traps, vampires, and even the Daemonites was good. And like I said, Grifter and Deathblow were great in that part of things.

Even before they got off the Earth was good, Sliding Albion's involvement, Stormwatch, even the Warhol Virus, all good plot devices. I enjoyed the entire bit of it.

The Century Baby of information uses spam to try to block and alien supercomputer was great. I suggest people giving it a chance if you want to read some old Authority comics. I'm sure most of us wrote it off like I did.

Artists in older books had a really hard time getting bruises right. They looked like they had potatoes growing out of their faces.

bruise.jpg

Happy! by Grant Morrison and Darick Robertson...only 1 issue in but it didn't really do anything to keep me hooked. It wasn't uninteresting, I just guess I was hoping my favorite writer would get me hooked into a new book better than this.

On the other hand, every other Morrison book that I really like has taken me multiple read throughs to really realize how great they are, except for All-Star Superman. So of course I have to give it a chance.

Proj and Friday were talking on Twitter about it and what it's supposed to be which was a little meta for me and I didn't really get, so maybe I'm just missing something. It's Grant Morrison so it wouldn't surprise me.

Here's my take on it. You see creators leave he big two and start putting out creator owned books full of things just like this. The load them up with hookers, drugs, obscenities and people being excessively violent for no clear reason. I'm looking at you Millar. And so he writes one himself, but its called happy. And I bet by the end we'll see a lot of that stripped away. I think this I him asking those creators "are you happy?"

Last edited:
Here's my take on it. You see creators leave he big two and start putting out creator owned books full of things just like this. The load them up with hookers, drugs, obscenities and people being excessively violent for no clear reason. I'm looking at you Millar. And so he writes one himself, but its called happy. And I bet by the end we'll see a lot of that stripped away. I think this I him asking those creators "are you happy?"

That would be amazing. Because yes, that's exactly what it read like. If it is commentary like that on that level, then I'll be impressed.

Is this a limited series?

E said:
Artists in older books had a really hard time getting bruises right. They looked like they had potatoes growing out of their faces.
Whenever I stub my toe, I grow tomatoes out of me feet.

I think if more people were hit in the face, we could cure famine.

So I found the link to all the Authority comics, and I read them.

They suffered a severe lack of quality after the Ellis/Miller era until Brubaker wrote them, in which there was an uptick.

The Lost Years sage was interesting. Randomly drifting from multiverse to multiverse trying to find their way home after the Carrier lost it's baby universe.

But what really impressed me was the Storm's End part of the saga. I wasn't expecting anything good at all, and instead I got brilliance. It seems the writers here remembered that there are multiple century babies, not just the Jenny ones. I like how when the world ended, the Doctor went mad and tried to eradicate humanity. Hell, Deathblow and Grifter, two characters who I thought sucked, after reading their parts, were hilarious. Them being forced off the Earth due to the Carrier being towed to an alien slaughter house was great. A romp through space which included death traps, vampires, and even the Daemonites was good. And like I said, Grifter and Deathblow were great in that part of things.

Even before they got off the Earth was good, Sliding Albion's involvement, Stormwatch, even the Warhol Virus, all good plot devices. I enjoyed the entire bit of it.

The Century Baby of information uses spam to try to block and alien supercomputer was great. I suggest people giving it a chance if you want to read some old Authority comics. I'm sure most of us wrote it off like I did.

I enjoyed the Robbie Morrison stuff between Millar and Brubaker. But I never couldn't get into World's End. Terrible stuff. Maybe I should give it another try.

Latest posts

Back