The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

Northlanders (Brian Wood), Punisher MAX (Jason Aaron), Spaceman (same creative team as 100 Bullets; starts soon), Wolverine (both Aaron and the new Wood comic).

Northlanders (Brian Wood), Punisher MAX (Jason Aaron), Spaceman (same creative team as 100 Bullets; starts soon), Wolverine (both Aaron and the new Wood comic).

Are any of them far into it's series? Also I can't read the name "Spaceman" with out thinking 30 Rock.

Are any of them far into it's series? Also I can't read the name "Spaceman" with out thinking 30 Rock.

Northlanders is ending soon (so is Scalped), Punisher MAX and Wolverine are just under two years in, and Spaceman and Brian Wood's Wolverine haven't started yet.

So i picked up Spaceman #1, Animal Man #1/2 (want to read these before I get invested) and Aaron's Ghost Rider run. I would have picked up Northlanders but they didn't have the 1st trade; only 2-5. Which sucks because that always seems to be the case for when I want to get Sandman and Promethea and was the case for Preacher for the longest time.

I was tempted to pick up the Green lantern Rebirth trade and start my descent into the war of light, along with Old Man Logan and The Boys, but they were each $20, which was pretty much my budget.

Also, I'm really liking this free comic thing. half was the new Defenders sneak peek(which looks awesome!) and the other was Jeph Loeb's new Cable story about killing Captain America. What is his(Loeb) deal with killing off heroes??? I got a feeling this is a good time to get back into comics. Also, me and the fam took some wedding photos while there which was a good excuse to go...for me XD

So I got Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft and the Chew Omnibus a few days ago. Expect reviews/impressions soon.

Has anyone read "Heart of a Corpse" by Justin Sane? The first issue is free on Comixology. I confess I only read it because it was free and I thought the art was different and cool, but it was pretty good! Here's the summary from Comixology:

At a mortuary overlooking the sea, a young hearse driver proposes to his love, the beautiful mortician's daughter Annabel. However, when a rival suitor, driven by greed, finds out about the betrothal, he takes matters into his own hands to ensure that their impending marriage is dead and buried. Done in a style reminiscent of Victorian silhouettes and early cinema, HEART OF A CORPSE: AN UNDEAD ENGAGEMENT is the first in a two-part heartbreaking love story.

Has anyone read David Brothers' article about the corrupt ethics of creator rights at major comic companies? It's quite good. Discuss.

Yes, David Brothers has been on fire this week. Did you see that Chris Roberson has left DC partly because of the stuff that's talked about in that article? The industry sounds like a real piece of ****.

Has anyone read David Brothers' article about the corrupt ethics of creator rights at major comic companies? It's quite good. Discuss.
Yes, and I loved this quote.

my contract is such that if a set burns down on a Warner Bros. movie in Botswana, they can debit it against my share.

Its nice that he's making this stand and all but I fall more on the JMS side of things. You do the best you can with what you've got. You'll win some, you'll loose some. Being bitter about it until the end of your life won't make anything better. Now I hadn't heard the Kirby stuff from that, that was amazingly disrespectful. Not all that surprising though. Say you're an executive or a contract lawyer. Are you going to recognize the importance of some comic artist who's trying to get his pictures back or are you going to try to get your company whatever you can for them? Everyone acts like this is creators vs creators over the rights when its not. Its creators against corporations. Corporations don't have ethics in the same sense that people do. Hell, the people doing the legal and business work aren't fans. They're getting paid for a job. And we can all agree that what happens is terrible, but that won't ever change anything. The only thing that'll change things is if every stops buying. Everyone.

Good luck with that.

Yes, David Brothers has been on fire this week. Did you see that Chris Roberson has left DC partly because of the stuff that's talked about in that article? The industry sounds like a real piece of ****.

Yeah, I did read that and it made me smile. That kind of thing seems to be happening more and more, if not usually so explicitly. While I haven't weened myself off corporate comics completely but I certainly don't buy floppies from them and the trades I get are few and far between. And while I'd like to say it's an ethical decision, it really comes down to two things. The direct market system really isn't worth the cost. Four or even three dollars for a twenty page magazine on cheap print that's going to fall apart and stuffed full of ads for hot dogs and shoes is a complete waste of money. Add to the fact that most of what's published isn't very good and mostly I end up just digging through old trades for something interesting. I don't think the market's sustainable. I think the corporate system is going to fall apart and honestly I find that exciting. Where at a precipice (and I say this. a lot. I know) where the corrupt publishers in practically every artistic medium are becoming irrelevant. It could be the start of a new renaissance, and I find that exciting at the same time I gradually lose more and more interest in these corporate owned properties that will never change.

Oh, and Brothers is great. One of the few legitimate journalists in the field. We need more guys like him.

Yes, and I loved this quote.

Its nice that he's making this stand and all but I fall more on the JMS side of things. You do the best you can with what you've got. You'll win some, you'll loose some. Being bitter about it until the end of your life won't make anything better. Now I hadn't heard the Kirby stuff from that, that was amazingly disrespectful. Not all that surprising though. Say you're an executive or a contract lawyer. Are you going to recognize the importance of some comic artist who's trying to get his pictures back or are you going to try to get your company whatever you can for them? Everyone acts like this is creators vs creators over the rights when its not. Its creators against corporations. Corporations don't have ethics in the same sense that people do. Hell, the people doing the legal and business work aren't fans. They're getting paid for a job. And we can all agree that what happens is terrible, but that won't ever change anything. The only thing that'll change things is if every stops buying. Everyone.

Good luck with that.

No. The only way things will change is if the necessity of corporate brokers is taken out of the system. And, oops, it looks like that's rapidly becoming the case, and self-publication is becoming a feasible and sustainable venue.

I don't get your logic. You say you agree that you agree more with JMS but that the contracts are wrong. You say the creators shouldn't be bitter even though they got screwed but these aren't guys who let their careers stymie their work. They found new venues for it. If you work within a system that's corrupt and disrespectful, it's your obligation to yourself both to speak out against it and find a new way to publicize your work that doesn't treat you like a battered whore. Will it fix the system? No, but as far as I can tell, the industry is doing a fine enough job of cannibalizing itself.

And it's not just that "corporations don't have ethics in the way that people do". It's that "corporations don't have ethics, period, and still have all the rights and privileges that people do, without accountability." That's a serious problem, not just in the comics industry, but holistically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zombipanda said:

Bookmarked - I will check that out.

ProjectX2 said:

I've heard various writers complain about this kind of thing, but we can see it first hand, especially with Marvel, with the pricing policies they've put in place. They are pricing people out of the hobby.

Over the last 2 days I read The Winter Men by Brett Lewis and John Paul Leon. Leon is one of my all time favorite artists and I would read just about anything he drew.

Proj recommended it to me and called it a Russian "Watchmen" but more dense. And that's a great description of it. I saw a few reviews for it that said basically the same thing. There are 6 issues - 1-5 then the Winter Men Special.

It's going to take at least 2 more read throughs to understand completely. I just had a really hard time with it. It is incredibly dense (it was originally supposed to be an 8 issues Vertigo series and ended up the equivalent of about 6.5). There's a lot to take in and understand and the Russian imagery is very vivid...it's like stepping into post-Communist Russia, with everyone struggling and the power grabs going on all over the place. It's much bigger than the 6 issues it took to tell.

Yeah, it's very complex and I'm still not really sure what actually happened but I think the characterization (and the beautiful art) make it worth reading. I really liked the issue about the two guys just going about their day.

John Paul Leon needs to draw more things.

Yeah, it's very complex and I'm still not really sure what actually happened but I think the characterization (and the beautiful art) make it worth reading. I really liked the issue about the two guys just going about their day.

OK, I'm glad it's not just me, then. If I didn't already have trouble with smarter, more complex stories like this (and usually need multiple read throughs to completely understand) I'd say that it could've used more work story telling-wise, but I'll try again to make sure it's not my own fault for not getting it before declaring something like that. Even if it was, the vividness and description of Russian life (as well as the art) was worth giving it a shot anyway. As a concept and a piece of visual art, it's gorgeous.

tumblr_m31crs0wxM1qzla78o1_500.png

Has anyone else read this short comic by Garth Ennis and Joe Quesada that was printed in Marvel Knights Double Shot #1? It is awesome.

I just bough the Dark Crystal Creation and Myths book printed by Archia. It is written by Brian Holguin and illustrated by Alex Sheikman. I haven't read it yet, but the art is brilliant, it's detailed, but still portrays the puppet feel from the movies.

It's got a foreword from Brian Froud, the guy whose art was the inspiration for the film, as well as for Labyrinth (fun fact, his baby was the boy in the labyrinth).

I'm excited to read it, and hopefully can find the movie at a low price to buy to show Neil.

ProjectX2 said:
Has anyone else read this short comic by Garth Ennis and Joe Quesada that was printed in Marvel Knights Double Shot #1? It is awesome.

I've been wanting to but haven't been able to track it down.

Latest posts

Back