The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Hush, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Fallen Son, Marvel Color Series, Buffy Season 8 #20, Batman/The Spirit, Superman, Wolverine, For All Seasons, Haunted Knight, When In Rome, Challengers of the Unknown, The Witching Hour, Superman/Batman, Ultimate X, New Ultimates (by far my favorite Ultimates story), Cable, Fantastic Four, and Ultimate Power. Yeah, I'd say it's pretty damn solid. I even took out ones I enjoyed just to prove the point.

Exactly! Thanks wyokid. Daredevil Yellow is probably my favourite Daredevil run, right after Brubaker's the Devil in Cell Block D.

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Hush, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Fallen Son, Marvel Color Series, Buffy Season 8 #20, Batman/The Spirit, Superman, Wolverine, For All Seasons, Haunted Knight, When In Rome, Challengers of the Unknown, The Witching Hour, Superman/Batman, Ultimate X, New Ultimates (by far my favorite Ultimates story), Cable, Fantastic Four, and Ultimate Power. Yeah, I'd say it's pretty damn solid. I even took out ones I enjoyed just to prove the point.

The only things in there that I liked were Fallen Son and Spider-Man Blue (which, as a concession, is one of my favourite comic stories of all time). Daredevil Yellow was Spider-Man Blue all over again and didn't feel very Daredevilish IMO. Long Halloween and Dark Victory are so overrated it's not funny. Long Halloween is a mess of a story. It doesn't even make sense. If it wasn't about Batman's early years and if Tim Sale hadn't been the artist, no one would care. All of his ultimate stuff is awful.

I honestly think that Loeb got famous doing Batman b/c it's Batman and Tim Sale is awesome. Stories like the colour series and Fallen Son are okay/good b/c he wasn't allowed to do whatever he wanted and was reigned in by the editorial staff and restrained by the continuity in which he was trying to work. And even there he messed up the chronology in Spider-Man Blue.

I'm not trying to be rude. And I'm sorry if I'm coming across as rude. You're allowed to like Loeb's stuff. And clearly you aren't alone b/c a lot of his stuff is famous. But I really don't care for him as a comic writer.

Last edited:
If you don't like Batman/The Spirit then you are wrong. That's my favorite Batman story.

Last edited:
I have a confession to make, Iceman is also my favorite X-Men. Always has been ever since I saw Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends before I started reading comics.

I actually haven't read that one, so you may be absolutely correct. The important thing is that I'm not wrong. :p

It's fantastic! Darwyn Cooke did the art

batmanspirit.jpg

311711405_fc59890f41_o.jpg

Also you are wrong, the Marvel color series are ooc so there are no continuity problems :p

Last edited:
Whoa, I can understand his work in tv, but Loeb had written some really great comics.

That's true, but his more recent stuff (specifically Ultimates 3) show he may have had some moments of clarity when writing his good stuff, but those moments of talent seem to have escaped him in more recent years.

Some of those are good stories. Some are mediocre. And didn't Bendis write Ultimate Power? Either way that one was embarrassingly bad. Ultimate X and New Ultimates weren't terrible, but I really don't see how you can prefer New Ultimates to Millar's Ultimates 1 or 2, or even some of Bendis' early USM, or Vaughan's UXM... There are so many better Ultimate stories than New Ultimates.

That's true, but his more recent stuff (specifically Ultimates 3) show he may have had some moments of clarity when writing his good stuff, but those moments of talent seem to have escaped him in more recent years.

Nova and Avengers: X-Sanction says otherwise. For the most part his Hulk run was excellent too (at least for me it was). The X-Force arc was really bad though.

Some of those are good stories. Some are mediocre. And didn't Bendis write Ultimate Power? Either way that one was embarrassingly bad. Ultimate X and New Ultimates weren't terrible, but I really don't see how you can prefer New Ultimates to Millar's Ultimates 1 or 2, or even some of Bendis' early USM, or Vaughan's UXM... There are so many better Ultimate stories than New Ultimates.

The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 are my The Amazing Spider-Man of comics. I LOATHE them. I never said that New Ultimates was the best Ultimate Marvel story, I said it was the best Ultimates story. Also Ultimate Power #1-3 was by Bendis, #4-6 by JMS, and #7-9 by Jeph Loeb. #7-9 has some of my favorite comic moments ever including my all time favorite Ultimate Thor moment.

Last edited:
Nova by Loeb was ok at best. It got A LOT better when he left. And Avengers: X-Sanction was completely terrible.

Last edited:
I have a confession to make, Iceman is also my favorite X-Men. Always has been ever since I saw Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends before I started reading comics.

I can't believe Ice made a second account.

Has anyone read Shutter yet? It was great! Image is the best it has ever been right now.

I just started reading X-Statix for no real reason other than I was able to get a copy of the entire series, and it's pretty, pretty good. It's a little messy as far as the writing goes but after about 12 issues it seems to be getting better. Allred's art is, as always, really great.

Latest posts

Back