The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

From Flash #38:

10953155_731407686957698_7787009648377348553_n.png

That sure is a purposeful intention. :p

Hey do any of you guys know how print errors affect the value of comics? I'm not sure if 'print errors' is the right term. For example, I have a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man #9 where (I'm assuming) one of the pages was folded before it was laid into the book and stapled, so the two pages are not in the binding and are loose, without any staple punctures in them. I also have a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man #28 that has two covers, one on top of the other. I didn't buy them especially because they were misprinted, I just got them off ebay or in a comic shop years ago when I first got into Ultimate Spider-Man. Are they more or less valuable?

Hey do any of you guys know how print errors affect the value of comics? I'm not sure if 'print errors' is the right term. For example, I have a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man #9 where (I'm assuming) one of the pages was folded before it was laid into the book and stapled, so the two pages are not in the binding and are loose, without any staple punctures in them. I also have a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man #28 that has two covers, one on top of the other. I didn't buy them especially because they were misprinted, I just got them off ebay or in a comic shop years ago when I first got into Ultimate Spider-Man. Are they more or less valuable?

Those types of errors are typically less valuable. CGC would consider them print defects which would lower the grade.

Have any of you guys read any of the old TMNT stuff? I watched a documentary online about how they took the world by storm in the late 80s/early 90s and it piqued my interest. I grew up on the first cartoon and the toys, and to a lesser extent, the movies. But I had never read any of the original comics.

Some of them are pretty good, but then there are the others. And the continuity is a mess. DIB would have a heart attack.

But overall, the main series is pretty great in a zany 80s indie comic kind of way (at least the issues inthat are still considered canon and are collected in the ultimate collection hardcovers are).

I'm a huge TMNT fan, you talking about just the Mirage comics?

I think I gave them a try a while ago after hearing that they were nothing like the old cartoon and didn't get very far with them.

At this point, yes. I read the first issue of the new, IDW series (free on comixology) and it looks interesting too, but thus far, I'm really only reading the old Mirage stuff.

The IDW stuff is incredible, but where are you in Mirage? I don't want to ask something and risk spoiling you.

I think I gave them a try a while ago after hearing that they were nothing like the old cartoon and didn't get very far with them.

There was also a comic published by Archie comics that was very similar to the show. In fact, it originally was just a comic version of the episodes.

The IDW stuff is incredible, but where are you in Mirage? I don't want to ask something and risk spoiling you.

I've read up through issue #8 (team up with Cerebus) and a few of the Usagi Yojimbo crossovers. I've also read the whole series of Tales of the TMNT vol 1 b/c I found them first and there were only 7 issues.

I know sort of the basic premise of the next little bit. Shredder comes back to life, they have to leave the city and they go to Northampton (pretty much like the movie). Then comes the "guest writer era" that mostly isn't in official continuity. Then they go back to the city for a bit. Then back to Northampton again, then they go back to the city for the city at war story. Then it goes into volume 2, which I know nothing about. Then there is the out of official continuity Image volume 3, then volume 4 which takes place a long time after volume 2, with some of the details for what happened in between filled in by the Tales of the TMNT vol 2 series.

I really REALLY like the two part return of Shredder story in the Leonardo micro and TMNT #10, as well as #11 where April is keeping a journal on the farm in Northampton. I can see why the movie adapted those issues so closely. They were amazing.

The exile in Northampton stuff was mostly pretty bland, and the Return to New York three-parter was a bit weird. The Shredder Clones...

So I'm up to the guest era, which I think I'll mostly skip for now. I'm really interested in reading the City At War epic. In my opinion, the turtles are much better suited for gritty, urban, ninja stuff than they are for wacky scifi/mystical/timetravel/crossover adventures.

Last edited:
POST! YOUR! PULL! I used January solicits because I couldn't remember what was in my monthly stack lol

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Klaus
Chew
Lois and Clark
Batman/TMNT
Southern Bastards (why is this not censored too?)
The *******ed (the other Jason Aaron book, didn't realize the title would get censored)
Ghostbusters International
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Transformers
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye
Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers
Back to the Future
Danger Girl: Renegade
Captain America: Civil War Prelude
Miracleman
Obi-Wan and Anakin
Darth Vader
Star Wars
Kanan

Last edited:
If I'm remembering correctly my only Marvel pull is Miracleman. The rest are all Image:

Saga
Sex Criminals
Low
Black Science

Think they wanted to rush the trades out in time for TFA release in December. They'll probably do deluxe hardcovers collecting 12 issues (two trades worth) mid to late next year awhile after Vol 2 of the TPB comes out.

That seems backward. As huge as these books sell you would think that they would want to get as many double dips as possible. They do it for every other book, surely it would make sense to do it with their biggest sellers.

Or maybe they don't do that any more (publish premiere hardcovers then oversized deluxes collecting 2 PHCs)...?

Latest posts

Back