The Dark Knight {Spoilers Abound}

You know, I just realized today that Joker remorselessly killed the same woman who he had been flirting with at a party, and barely remembered her name afterwards.

I was walking down the street when this happened, and I literally stopped dead in my tracks.

Joker, you magnificient ****.

To be fair, with statistics adjusted for inflation, TDK would have to make well over a billion dollars to top most of the highest grossing movies.

To be even more fair, if it were to stay in theaters for nine months like Titanic did (Dec. 1997 - Sept. 1998), I don't see that being a problem. In terms of amount of time in theaters (less than a month), its spanked every other movie in comparable box office earnings in that time period.

Actually they don't. adjusted wise Gone with the Wind , Star wars , The Sound of Music , ET and The Ten Commandments all beat Titanic.

See : Current chart usa http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

When adjusted : http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

also world wide for intrest http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Its only been in theaters for just over three weeks. Considering the youngest movie on that list besides Titanic (which as mentioned was in theaters for 9 months) came out over 25 years ago (ET), such a comparison is pretty skewed. If TDK hasn't brought in almost two billion ten years from now, then its worth noting.

Until then, its just premature.

Last edited:
So, there's a debate going on about the fate of Harvey Dent at the end of the movie.

Some say it was left up to the audience to decide.

My friend (who often likes to make up what he "reads") says that the producers say that if Batman can survive the fall, so can Dent.

What did Nolan intend? People have looked at the script and, in that, it's made clear.

He's
DEAD.

So, it would seem RDJ won't be in any DC movies anytime soon. In this interview he says the following:

"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

So, there's a debate going on about the fate of Harvey Dent at the end of the movie.

Some say it was left up to the audience to decide.

My friend (who often likes to make up what he "reads") says that the producers say that if Batman can survive the fall, so can Dent.

What did Nolan intend? People have looked at the script and, in that, it's made clear.

He's
DEAD.

That's stupid. Dent's in decent enough shape to survive a car crash, but Batman has ninja training, body armor, and a cape.

So, it would seem RDJ won't be in any DC movies anytime soon. In this interview he says the following:

"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

So...he hates Dark Knight because it's smart?

That's the first time I've heard that as a reasoning.

You know, I just realized today that Joker remorselessly killed the same woman who he had been flirting with at a party, and barely remembered her name afterwards.

I was walking down the street when this happened, and I literally stopped dead in my tracks.

Joker, you magnificient ****.

Yeah, I got that when he was talking to Dent. I was shocked and revolted and I loved the bastard all the more for it. Really great that they let the villain in a multi-million dollar blockbuster be as evil as he was. No sympathy at all.

Didn't someone post about this before?

I hadn't read the whole quote. Thanks.

What a bizarre thing to say.

:lol:

That's hilarious. I COMPLETELY disagree with him, but that is a damn funny quote. I'm glad to see him showing some brand loyalty to Marvel at least. Here's to many more Iron-Man sequels to come that we don't need a college degree to understand.

Last edited:
I hadn't read the whole quote. Thanks.

What a bizarre thing to say.

It really is. Especially from someone who seems very smart.

I hope it's not just some sort of petulant "your superhero movie did better than mine" thing.

It really is. Especially from someone who seems very smart.

I hope it's not just some sort of petulant "your superhero movie did better than mine" thing.

Yeah - that's kind of what it sounds like and I wonder how much input Marvel had into the quote.

I don't think I posted it but I remember reading it.

Wasn't it confirmed he was joking?

Latest posts

Back