The Marvel Movie Reporting Thread.

I've grown very weary of baseless and obviously false casting rumor and won't even dignify this with a direct response

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

Re: X-Men Origins: Wolverine News.

Not sure where to put this, it X-Men movie/Daredevil movie related so here.

Though Fox has no plans for a major overhaul, the studio has scheduled a strategy meeting to assess the status of its superheroes, a group sorely missed this summer. On the agenda, Fox will mull the possibility of more "X-Men" spinoffs, including a young-X-Men project as well as "Deadpool," based on a character played by Ryan Reynolds in "Wolverine." The studio is even considering reviving the "Daredevil" property.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117991696.html?categoryid=2520&cs=1

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I wouldn't mind Smith as Captain America?

People act as if he's not the kind of 'all-american action hero' character that Will Smith has made a career out of playing.

BUT HE'S BLACK!!!

But really, I want Cap to really embody the WWII era, that old fashion American dream characteristics. I want to feel like this guy is from the 1940s and I want to see his reaction to today. He's got the all American hero, yes. I just don't think Smith could portray a character from that time period, whose thrown into the present, well.

Last edited:
Smith's personality doesn't fit Captain America. Even as Bradley he'd be pushing it.

It's like Doom's said before. Whatever role Smith plays in movies, it's just him as whatever the role is. "This is Will Smith if he fought aliens," or "This is Will Smith if he had super powers." He's a good actor, but it's just the same type guy playing different roles. You don't really get much of a distinction between them.

Whoever plays Captain America, it should be someone who isn't portraying himself 'just with enhanced abilities,' but as if he really is the character. Like Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon, for example.

Smith's personality doesn't fit Captain America. Even as Bradley he'd be pushing it.

It's like Doom's said before. Whatever role Smith plays in movies, it's just him as whatever the role is. "This is Will Smith if he fought aliens," or "This is Will Smith if he had super powers." He's a good actor, but it's just the same type guy playing different roles. You don't really get much of a distinction between them.

Whoever plays Captain America, it should be someone who isn't portraying himself 'just with enhanced abilities,' but as if he really is the character. Like Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon, for example.

I don't mind if the the actor uses his personality, as long as it lines up with the character, like RDJ.

I don't mind if the the actor uses his personality, as long as it lines up with the character, like RDJ.
That's true. But the difference is that for RDJ and Iron Man, it works because how crazy and partying both can be.

Smith and Captain America? Not really. At least, not with him as Steve Rogers.

BUT HE'S BLACK!!!

But really, I want Cap to really embody the WWII era, that old fashion American dream characteristics. I want to feel like this guy is from the 1940s and I want to see his reaction to today. He's got the all American hero, yes. I just don't think Smith could portray a character from that time period, whose thrown into the present, well.
Yes. Everyone knows black people didn't exist in the 1940s.

I don't think there's much 'character' to pull out of Cap.

There's the extreme man out of time, I don't like the modern world Ultimate version, but I doubt we'll see that in the movie.

Other than that, I've never seen Captain America as being anything more than the archetypal American action hero, which is what Will Smith is in every movie he does.

Seriously guys, Captain America is cool and all but if you think he's such a super-deep, complex character then I'd like to read the stories you've been reading.

Last edited:
Other than that, I've never seen Captain America as being anything more than the archetypal American action hero, which is what Will Smith is in every movie he does.

Seriously guys, Captain America is cool and all but if you think he's such a super-deep, complex character then I'd like to read the stories you've been reading.
I never said he was "super-deep...etc." Maybe I wrote something that made you think that, but I didn't.

But Will Smith as Captain America just doesn't work out, I believe. He just doesn't fit the role. I don't know who can, really. But it's always easier to judge who can't play someone rather than who can.

Yes. Everyone knows black people didn't exist in the 1940s.

I don't think there's much 'character' to pull out of Cap.

There's the extreme man out of time, I don't like the modern world Ultimate version, but I doubt we'll see that in the movie.

It's hard for me to describe what I see with the character, mainly because I'm tired as hell right now, so someone else may come up with something much better. But I see Cap as a man who stood as a symbol for his country. He was a naive, morally right guy who only wanted to be a soldier and serve his country but instead becomes a symbol to embody all that was good about America and having his illusions crushed by realities. So much so that he has to be that example to live by, that living legend. And after being thrown through time he looses both his personal life and what he represented. I find that aspect very interesting of a man who really lost everything and has no place in the world, so much so that all he can really do is be captain america.

Also in Earth X at the end of one of the chapters there is a brilliant internal monologue by cap about he's feelings on the nature of war.

Really I just see a lot of interesting potential that shouldn't be thrown away for a big name actor just for a simple "action" movie.

He can do serious roles like Ali and '' in pursuit of happyness'' which were both good movies. Either way i wouldn't mind a black actor portraying a usually white character i mean Duncan as Kingpin was one of the few things i liked about Daredevil. Just saying is all.

He can do serious roles like Ali and '' in pursuit of happyness'' which were both good movies. Either way i wouldn't mind a black actor portraying a usually white character i mean Duncan as Kingpin was one of the few things i liked about Daredevil. Just saying is all.

Its not seriousness, it relation of his action style to the character that just doesn't line up. I remember Bass in a dreamcasting suggested the Rock, which I think could actually work. Because the Rock's acting style fits Cap pretty well.

I know he can do serious roles. But it's not what *type* of role he plays, just that no matter what, it's just "Will Smith as ________."

Also, it was never about race issues, either.

Last edited:
I know he can do serious roles. What made you think that I don't know that or something? But it's not what *type* of role he plays, just that no matter what, it's just "Will Smith as ________."

Also, it was never about race issues, either.

Fair enough.Funny thing is though he was also asked to be superman for Returns. Personally though i could see will as Falcon.

I agree 100% with Ice. Smith can play a good action hero, or super hero, but pretty much all of his action performances indicate to me that he is not Cap. Spider-Man maybe but not Captain America.

I think of it like this: when Will Smith kills an alien he'll quip "Don't mess with Earth!" and pose. When Cap kills an alien he'll quickly run to find the next one and maybe shout "Avengers Assemble!".

EDIT TO VENOM MELENDEZ: I could see Smith as the Falcon, though I personally think that character is silly.

Last edited:
The Falcon's only silly because he's usually just "Hey, look! It's Captain America and his kooky African American sidekick!"

The Falcon's only silly because he's usually just "Hey, look! It's Captain America and his kooky African American sidekick!"

Sam Wilson is cool when he is Cap's partner or on his own, I just think the Falcon's costume and "powers" are hard to take seriously. Ultimate Falcon pulls it off a bit better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back