The Most Dangerous Game

TheManWithoutFear said:
I wouldn't really say this merits as a loose-end. The students questioning Xavier doesn't have to be singled out and have to be the center of a story. It should just click at some point that Xavier's the good guy.
It doesn't merit a loose end but at the moment, it IS a loose end. Its a plot idea that hasn't been addressed or resolved.

Well, it was something that really can be left go because it's not going to change anything except take up word bubbles. Really, unless Xavier is going to go completely against the X-Men in a fight, what would this matter for the team?

Goodwill said:
Well, it was something that really can be left go because it's not going to change anything except take up word bubbles. Really, unless Xavier is going to go completely against the X-Men in a fight, what would this matter for the team?
Well, they just don't want to feel like they're being controlled to do things they don't want to do.

I kinda like the most dangerous game, aside from the obvious cliche of the plot. I think Vaughan is just as good at Millar at characterizing the X-men/other cast, though his plotting isn't nearly as good. That being said, I really didn't love Millar's run, and I'll tell you why:

I

HATE

the dialogue that man writes. I really do. I hate it when girls are called cow. I'm an American teenager, no one calls anyone cow. Ever. I can't speak for Toad, because he's British, or Quicksilver, because he's really high-brow. Ever. And there always seemed to be this formula to the way Millar writes dialogue.

"Oh, character, didn't you know, some random event has been occuring since time period."

That'd probably be followed by the addressed calling someone a stupid cow. I don't know, I shouldn't be ranting, he is a good mastermind, his dialogue just seems so forced.

So, when Bendis signed on, I was uber-psyched. Then it turned out he really isn't that good at writing team books. So, to be honest, I've liked the current runs the best.

Oh, and for some reason, Millar's dialogue in the Ultimates isn't so bad. He still is very formulaic, but less annoying insults.

iceman said:
Oh, and for some reason, Millar's dialogue in the Ultimates isn't so bad. He still is very formulaic, but less annoying insults.
I guess Millar just isn't his best when scripting teen/youthful characters -- Trouble was a seriously flawed mini-series, to begin with, but the dialog was easily the worst aspect.

Even the script of Chosen -- an over-all interestingly plotted series --was nothing quotable, though at least it had very human, down-to-earth character dynamics.

Millar's most clever dialog only works in the context of a deliberately over-the-top situation, in titles like Wanted, where it's pitch-perfect, and fits the outlandish tone of the book.

compound said:
I guess Millar just isn't his best when scripting teen/youthful characters -- Trouble was a seriously flawed mini-series, to begin with, but the dialog was easily the worst aspect...
Millar's most clever dialog only works in the context of a deliberately over-the-top situation, in titles like Wanted, where it's pitch-perfect, and fits the outlandish tone of the book.

Great analysis. Very true.

Yeah, I do think that's a good analysis. I didn't think his UXM run was that great, but give him a bunch of 30-somethings with the Ultimates, then he's on fire.

Though I do hate his overuse of "Stupid" and "Moron" and the like. It's quite lazy.

Guijllons said:
Though I do hate his overuse of "Stupid" and "Moron" and the like. It's quite lazy.

It used to bother me until I read Wanted and realized that when he uses stupid or moron it's because he can't use the words he really wants to. :wink:

Oh I know why he uses them, it's just showing too little flair.
just a "you rat-faced stinking mother of a nun's vomit sack" would be infinitely preferable....

... or not :/

Nothing to do with the roulette of picking up a Thai prostitute is it?

Lady or boy? It's a big risk I tell you!

I think it's just a running man play, no big metaphor in it.

Guijllons said:
Nothing to do with the roulette of picking up a Thai prostitute is it?

Lady or boy? It's a big risk I tell you!

I think it's just a running man play, no big metaphor in it.
I was just thinking about the title, and just thought maybe there's like a meaning to it, besides the obvious one. There's always other sides to things. I don't know, I guess this came to me since like, I'm alone...and thoughts come up when there's no one to bother you...

Well, I thought that Xavier pretty much topped it off at the end. He spoke about how this game brought out the reality in man and how bestial we all are when we come down to it. I think he was referring to both Mojo and Longshot since they were the ones who turned out least innocent of all in the end... The most dangerous game could've been symbolism for trust, intolerance, and hopelessness, again, themes that particularly jutted out in "Of Mice and Men".

Goodwill said:
Well, I thought that Xavier pretty much topped it off at the end. He spoke about how this game brought out the reality in man and how bestial we all are when we come down to it. I think he was referring to both Mojo and Longshot since they were the ones who turned out least innocent of all in the end... The most dangerous game could've been symbolism for trust, intolerance, and hopelessness, again, themes that particularly jutted out in "Of Mice and Men".
Very interesting. Like your take, GW.

Latest posts

Back