Avengers The New Avengers Special: The Illuminati Discussion (Spoilers)

Living Large said:
Perhaps both (Namor and Blackbolt) are worried that the US superheros are going to attempt to enforce this new bill on thier nations and that the statements made by Iron Man could easily be viewed as threatening and/or as a direct threat.

But my point is, the entire 'surface' world could show up at Attilan and Atlantis and DEMAND that the two groups register all their superpowered citizens.

And the two countries could just hand them the public census they have of their nations.

THEY'VE ALREADY DONE THE REGISTRATION ACT.

This is why there can't be a threat. They've already registered their populace. Even if the information is supposed to be secret, in Atlantis, it's completely obsolete (since discovering Atlanteans can breathe underwater is like finding out human beings have hair) and in Attilan, their superpowers determine what part of the society they belong to. Atillan could possibly see the desire of other countries to learn what superpowered beings they have as a threat, but have handled themselves before, and considering they live on the moon which is not a place people can reach without a lot of help and preparation - and they could leave any time they want... well, they're untouchable.

I just can't conceive why Namor is feeling threatened. Namor should just be saying, "All my people are naturally superstrong, that's what makes us the true rulers of this planet. If your insignificant government wants a census of my nation, they can ask for it."

Black Bolt, if he could speak, should be saying, "It's about time you started registering your superpowers. How do you expect to be able to determine your role in society if you don't tell that society what you can do?" since he lives in a society in which the heirarchy and position of people is determined BY their own personal super powers.

It doesn't make any sense. It's... (new word) asinine.

Also, welcome Living Large! I hope you post more often. :D

Last edited:
Ah yes. I see I needed to specify which statements because I think I started thinking more about the part where everyone is directly answerable to SHIELD. (Saw that part in the preview, correct me if I'm off base...).

This would be problematic and completely innappropriate to expect from any of these nations. The registration was only part of what Iron Man stated was expected from the Illuminati. I suspect that that is what really put Dr. Strange, Namor, Black Bolt and Black Panther up in arms... It was a completely insensitive statement coming from a character who I'm not so sure was in character right then. It's almost like he was coerced...

And thanks for the welcome. I've been a long time troll but your intelligent comments seemed to have prompt me out of hiding...

You need people of intelligence on this sort of... mission... quest... thing.

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...

Bass said:
You need people of intelligence on this sort of... mission... quest... thing.

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...

...and my bow. And my axe.

How am I supposed to carry all that?

Living Large said:
Ah yes. I see I needed to specify which statements because I think I started thinking more about the part where everyone is directly answerable to SHIELD. (Saw that part in the preview, correct me if I'm off base...)

Not only that, Iron Man says that registered superheroes will be "given a job as a guard in the new SHIELD World Security Force."

Who the hell appointed SHIELD to watch over the world? Maria Hill is reporting to American political concerns (her report in NA #16). It's VERY much an Ultimates-like thing, where it leads to questions of nationalism/imperialism and sovereign control.

The P.R. for this says 'there is no right or wrong" on registration, but, boy, it's not setting up that way.

I havent read the issue, but is sounds as if Namor doesnt care about the act. It just seems he's pissed nothing happens in Atlantis. Basically he has his panties in a bunch.

Reed: Lets send Banner into space to live on a peaceful planet?

Namor: Do it and I'll wage war!!!

Tony: So the US govt is inacting a Superhero registration Act, I think we should support it

Strange: Hey Black Bolt and I are going on a slurpy run, you guys in?

Namor : There shall be no slurpy, or face the unequal wrath of Atlantis!!!

Tony: Oh the "wraith of Atlantis" Wha, what are your people swim really fast around Manhattan? Or maybe Use your "command of marine life" (very original by the way) to attack our gigantic Carriers, which can fly? Or maybe you can just use those little wings to fly around, yeah I'm sure no one who has ever played duck hunter, shouldnt be able to take you out.

Namor: ... DICK FACE!...*runs off*

Xavier: Hey guys... whats with him?

Reed: Professor your live, where have you been?

Xavier: In a bar drinking

Black Bolt: Really?... Oh crap

Random said:
I havent read the issue, but is sounds as if Namor doesnt care about the act. It just seems he's pissed nothing happens in Atlantis. Basically he has his panties in a bunch.

Reed: Lets send Banner into space to live on a peaceful planet?

Tony: So the US govt is inacting a Superhero registration Act, I think we should support it

Strange: Hey Black Bolt and I are going on a slurpy run, you guys in?

Namor : There shall be no slurpy, or face the unequal wrath of Atlantis!!!

Tony: Oh the "wraith of Atlantis" Wha, what are your people swim really fast around Manhattan? Or maybe Use your "command of marine life" (very original by the way) to attack our gigantic Carriers, which can fly? Or maybe you can just use those little wings to fly around, yeah I'm sure no one who has ever played duck hunter, shouldnt be able to take you out.

Namor: ... DICK FACE!...*runs off*

Xavier: Hey guys... whats with him?

Reed: Professor your live, where have you been?

Xavier: In a bar drinking

Black Bolt: Really?... Oh crap

:D :D

Rhyo said:
Not only that, Iron Man says that registered superheroes will be "given a job as a guard in the new SHIELD World Security Force."

Who the hell appointed SHIELD to watch over the world? Maria Hill is reporting to American political concerns (her report in NA #16). It's VERY much an Ultimates-like thing, where it leads to questions of nationalism/imperialism and sovereign control.

The P.R. for this says 'there is no right or wrong" on registration, but, boy, it's not setting up that way.

Right...if the US is the government passing the law, why are they assigning them to an international peacekeeping organization that Bendis himself wrote is for no one and for everyone (or something like that)?

Bass you make some great points. I'm not real crazy about this whole thing either and it did occur to me that this is not the first time "superhero registration" has come up in comics (or even Marvel comics). I give Millar the benefit of the doubt that he will explain why this time it's different and more significant.

Rhyo - could you post a link to that thread you were talking about?

The art was off and the writing was boring. I couldn't even be bothered to read this.

Though the Civil War preview was nice.

ProjectX2 said:
The art was off and the writing was boring. I couldn't even be bothered to read this.

Though the Civil War preview was nice.
Art was off a bit. But the story was great.

Bass said:
What authority does the US congress have over Namor? Or Black Bolt? Neither of whom should really care. THEY DON'T HAVE SECRET IDENTITIES. THEY ANSWER TO THEIR OWN GOVERNMENT.
It doesn't, but than again, it's the U.S., nothing new. And even though this about the heroes giving up their secret I.D.'s, it's also about every hero, too, being signed up with them.

Rhyo said:
If you read Planet Hulk and the Hulk series, much of the book made sense - if you hadn't - like me - those scenes made very little sense. Is it good that they are linking other titles? Only if you've read the other title they are linking to already.
See, I don't read Planet Hulk (in the Hulk series), but it still made sense to me. I wasn't lost.

Rhyo said:
The issue is, in essence, a What If? issue ("What if there was once this really cool group of superhero leaders that got together to talk about stuff but couldn't agree and broke up.")
Don't see it that way, sorry.

Rhyo said:
The no ads thing was nice...
Ha! I didn't even notice the no ads!

Overall, I loved the issue! The story was friggin' great and every bit of it was an exciting read. I even got mad from reading about how some of them felt about Hulk and how Iron Man acted all ***** wipped by Commander Hill and what not.

5/5.

Also, here's that Bendis Q&A on the Illuminati.

Last edited:
Bass said:
What authority does the US congress have over Namor? Or Black Bolt? Neither of whom should really care. THEY DON'T HAVE SECRET IDENTITIES. THEY ANSWER TO THEIR OWN GOVERNMENT.

Isn't that pretty much what Namor said? I don't remember.

E said:
Isn't that pretty much what Namor said? I don't remember.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. That's why he told the group that if the government ever tried anything, it would be an act of war.

Hey, I really liked it...

*shrug*

I'd give it a 5/5

I'm honestly excited for Civil War, and I trust that Millar isn't going to disapoint.

yeah, this was great, and civil war should be really good. i love event stories that focus on the character's personalities, like IC, IC (damn it DC), and apparently Civil War. Bendis also said that there will be a definite pre-Civil War and post-Civil War Marvel Universe, so a definite change is good. What I worry about though if this is just something for Iron Man breaking up with Cap. Or Avengers Disassembled: Fo' Real.

Rorschach said:
excited for civil war as well. like to see more of the illuminatis action through the past few years as well.

I think that it's awesome that you even write like Rorschach. :D

Q: How many times have do you suppose the Illuminati have met? One would think surrounding major events (Dark Phoenix Saga, Contests of Champions, Secret Wars, Galactic Storm Onslaught, Heroes Return, etc), but have they also met in between these times?

BB: Not as many times as you would guess and not about the things you would guess. Again, those stories will probably still be told so I don't want to give it away right now.

HAHAHA!!!

This interview was funny, it made me laugh

Latest posts

Back