The Ultimate End..... for real?

Oh - thanks for reminding me:

No f'ing Sentinels. STUPID.
I thought they were fine for the time Millar used them (only once). I wouldn't mind if they never showed up again. But after Bendis used them, I think that should've been the last time.

Tighter continuity, fewer villains of the week type stories, Nothing cosmic like Thanos (the Chitauri in Ultimates was a perfect way to handle aliens). Fewer mutants. Far less costumes (New X-Men's leather jackets would have worked well in the UU).

Less superhero-y altogether. Less issues about fighting. More mature stories.

Only big name creators on the titles, like the All-Star line at DC. If that means delays between issues, so be it.

Well wasn't a Loeb a "big" name? Big names do not always deliver quality, as Miller's All Star batman can ates too.

Also you can take realism so far with comics, there is nothing realistic about a guy with spider powers swinging on web wearing red pjs or about a dude who shoots lasers out his eyes. Comics are inherently cheesy to some degree. You can try to balance out the cheesiness, but you have to accept some of it. Morrison is a master of taking some of the cheesy elements from comics and fusing them with interesting story telling tactics.

What in particular do you think should be more realistic?

I think the biggest thing that was missing was interesting twists on some of the lesser characters, that's what could have set apart the UU from the 616 universe. BVK did some of that with the Ultimate versions of Sinister and Mojo and bendis to a lesser degree with Venom, but besides that there was nothing done with the smaller characters. Ultimate Electro is about the same but with a less flashy costume, 2/3 of USM's rogues gallery are jokes or throwaway characters. How often has the UU taken a lame character and made him cool in the UU?

Last edited:
I think the human-sentinel ones would make better stories. You can't detect them at all until the second they turn all Sentinel on your ***. Humans are afraid of mutants because anyone could be a mutant- so imagine a story where mutants are afraid of humans because anyone of them could be a Sentinel. Some people may not know it- and hell, some may have even been forced to become one.

That would be so awesome.

I think the human-sentinel ones would make better stories. You can't detect them at all until the second they turn all Sentinel on your ***. Humans are afraid of mutants because anyone could be a mutant- so imagine a story where mutants are afraid of humans because anyone of them could be a Sentinel. Some people may not know it- and hell, some may have even been forced to become one.

That would be so awesome.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, thats completely subjective. I'm just saying I liked the idea of giant robots who killed mutants. Its simple, scary, and epic. Cheesy as well?? Yeah, definitly--but spandex isn't?

I don't know, I never had a problem with Sentinels (big or small). Thats all I'm saying.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, thats completely subjective. I'm just saying I liked the idea of giant robots who killed mutants. Its simple, scary, and epic. Cheesy as well?? Yeah, definitly--but spandex isn't?

I don't know, I never had a problem with Sentinels (big or small). Thats all I'm saying.
Oh, me either. I like the idea as well. I'm just saying that I think the smaller human-sentinels (Prime Sentinels! That's their name!) would make for better stories for a more modern take on them and what not.

Still, my idea would kick-***. 8)

Last edited:
Oh, me either. I like the idea as well. I'm just saying that I think the smaller human-sentinels (Prime Sentinels! That's their name!) would make for better stories for a more modern take on them and what not.

Still, my idea would kick-***. 8)

Definitly agree. Your prior idea did have plenty of merit. Sounded like it could've used a similar idea of Battlestar Galactica (humanoid robots blending into society=scary), probably better than the show did anyway.

Definitly agree. Your prior idea did have plenty of merit. Sounded like it could've used a similar idea of Battlestar Galactica (humanoid robots blending into society=scary), probably better than the show did anyway.

And that could lead into a three way war between Humans, Mutants, and self-aware Sentinels.

And that could lead into a three way war between Humans, Mutants, and self-aware Sentinels.

Mmmmm..."Three way". Sexy.

:heybaby:

:?

...what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, Sentinels.

E said:
No f'ing Sentinels. STUPID.

Why? Seriously. In this universe (or the original) of mutants, spider-teens, Hulks, Norse Gods, etc, why do the Sentinels stand out as stupid/pointless/whatever? I agree they haven't been used to any valid degree in the Ultimate verse yet, but it doesn't negate the possibility of a worthwhile use for the giant robots in the Ultimate universe (or even the not-so-giant versions as seen in the last UXM arc).

I admit I'm very biased due to my first exposure to the Sentinels on the 90's X-Men cartoon, and a deep love of my Toy Biz Sentinel action figure from the resulting toyline as a child. It was a good foot tall, and towered over my X-Men figs (granted its legs were static and stuck together, and only its arms moved, but for the early 90's, it was all kinds of awesome). This was revived when Heroclix came out with the best-scale-to-date Sentinel in their Marvel HC line. It didn't move, either, but it had interchangeable hands (closed fists or open hands to hold/capture the little X-Men Clix...AWESOME some more times TWO!)

Ah...the Sentinels. Personally, I love the stupid, plodding, robot bastards.

Last edited:
Mmmmm..."Three way". Sexy.

:heybaby:

:?

...what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, Sentinels.

Why? Seriously. In this universe (or the original) of mutants, spider-teens, Hulks, Norse Gods, etc, why do the Sentinels stand out as stupid/pointless/whatever? I agree they haven't been used to any valid degree in the Ultimate verse yet, but it doesn't negate the possibility of a worthwhile use for the giant robots in the Ultimate universe (or even the not-so-giant versions as seen in the last UXM arc).

I admit I'm very biased due to my first exposure to the Sentinels on the 90's X-Men cartoon, and a deep love of my Toy Biz Sentinel action figure from the resulting toyline as a child. It was a good foot tall, and towered over my X-Men figs (granted its legs were static and stuck together, and only its arms moved, but for the early 90's, it was all kinds of awesome). This was revived when Heroclix came out with the best-scale-to-date Sentinel in their Marvel HC line. It didn't move, either, but it had interchangeable hands (closed fists or open hands to hold/capture the little X-Men Clix...AWESOME some more times TWO!)

The giant Sentinels aren't very practical, it would cost more money for them to be 60 feet tall and they cause uneeded in a destruction civilian area, which is a PR nightmare for the government. Heck the silver Age sentinels were only 7 feet tall.

Nobody has any control over Norse gods. And besides that, it was done in a way so as to really drag out the "reality" of it, making it much more shocking when the reveal that they were real was...revealed.

Nobody is going to build giant robots to fly around and hunt for mutants to disintegrate. And besides, every human rights group would be all over a government program to build giant robots to fly around and disintegrate mutants.

Seriously, say "government program to build giant robots to fly around and disintegrate mutants" out loud then tell me that it's not stupid.

Anyway regarding realism, I would agree that spandex is overdone. Some the best dressed characters in comics do not wear spandex, many golden age villains didn't wear spandex and they are best dressed people in comics. Look at Batman's rogues gallery, they hardly wear spandex and they all look cool or scary.

some spandex looks are classic though, Spidey needs his red PJs. Though other characters benefited from less "colorful" outfits, Doc Ock's best look was the business suit he wore in the 90s (the yellow and green jump suit looked really silly on a short, stocky man) and vulture looked best when his costume was changed from green to black and red, he looked scarier and more like a vulture. Its not a matter of getting rid of spandex persay, as it is giving the characters look or interesting looks and some the 616 costumes are atheistic nightmares.

Nobody has any control over Norse gods. And besides that, it was done in a way so as to really drag out the "reality" of it, making it much more shocking when the reveal that they were real was...revealed.

Nobody is going to build giant robots to fly around and hunt for mutants to disintegrate. And besides, every human rights group would be all over a government program to build giant robots to fly around and disintegrate mutants.

Seriously, say "government program to build giant robots to fly around and disintegrate mutants" out loud then tell me that it's not stupid.

Well the problem I had with the sentinels in the UU was that they were killing mutants on national TV and no one seemed to mind. In the real world the ACLU and Human Rights watch would be screaming blue murder.

The sentinels were not always 60 foot tall monsters, in the silver age they were about 7 feet tall and in the 90s there were sentinels disguised as humans. Either of those two would be more realistic, 7 foot Sentinels can work crowd control and arrest mutants, where they would be taken to Gitmo or something or Sentinels disguised as humans could secretly kill mutants, without anyone knowing.

Last edited:
The giant Sentinels aren't very practical, it would cost more money for them to be 60 feet tall and they cause uneeded in a destruction civilian area, which is a PR nightmare for the government. Heck the silver Age sentinels were only 7 feet tall.

The Hulk as a member of the Ultimates proves the writers, editors, and fictional residents of the Ultimate universe don't care about PR nightmares.

The Overlord said:
Well the problem I had with the sentinels in the UU was that they were killing mutants on national TV and no one seemed to mind. In the real world the ACLU and Human Rights watch would be screaming blue murder.

Who's to say that didn't happen, and the government just ignored them? Kinda like they ignored the Human Rights groups (and continue to do so) in the real world, involving detaining "suspected terrorists". Sure, the Sentinels killing mutants is more extreme, but I think they can safely be compared.

If its explained and sold as "being for the greater good of the nation", it wouldn't be that inconcievable in a fantasy setting.

The Hulk as a member of the Ultimates proves the writers, editors, and fictional residents of the Ultimate universe don't care about PR nightmares.

It was hidden from the public and only revealed when Loki/Widow leaked the files. They executed him (or tried) when it was found out, in a very public display. I'm not sure how that qualifies as not caring about PR nightmares.

Who's to say that didn't happen

It's a comic - if I didn't see it, it didn't happen.

And in 80+ issues, you'd think it might have come up a couple of times.

Who's to say that didn't happen, and the government just ignored them? Kinda like they ignored the Human Rights groups (and continue to do so) in the real world, involving detaining "suspected terrorists". Sure, the Sentinels killing mutants is more extreme, but I think they can safely be compared.

If its explained and sold as "being for the greater good of the nation", it wouldn't be that inconcievable in a fantasy setting.

That's not realstic though, in the real world the government cares deeply about PR. If the US government abuses its power too much, it can be impeached. All governemnts need public support and can't just pretend not to care what the people think. If the people pressure the congress, the congress can impeach the President. First none of the terrorist suspects in Gitmo are American citizens, the mutants in UXM often are, that would be considered very important difference. The giant sentinels were willing to destory an entire bus of humans to kill one mutant, that's major overkill and would realistically make the government unpopular. Killing mutants who are American citizens on national TV is just silly, it would make the public feel sorry for them, not build up support for the government.

Last edited:
It was hidden from the public and only revealed when Loki/Widow leaked the files. They executed him (or tried) when it was found out, in a very public display. I'm not sure how that qualifies as not caring about PR nightmares.

Because I said so.

Fine, Hulk was a poor choice. We'll go with Thor, who was viewed as a Schizo with God-like power for most of the series. Whether he was officially on the team or not, he was a member in everything but name. That doesn't qualify as a PR nightmare to you?

It's a comic - if I didn't see it, it didn't happen.

And in 80+ issues, you'd think it might have come up a couple of times.

I'd consider it a minor plot point not worth telling. It really didn't relate to the stories themselves the Sentinels showed up in. It could have, and probably should have to make the stories more relatable and realistic, but when the focus of your standard X-Men story is the team fighting some outside threat and and probably amongst themselves to a degree, a scene showing a newscast or something explaining the public's perception of the Sentinels is kind of unnecessary in my opinion, though I can understand why you would feel it is. It would definitly work towards making the fictional world its set in feel more real.

Then again, I'm no writer, just a reader, so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Latest posts

Back