Thor series discussion [Straczynski/Olivier Coipel; spoilers]

Re: Thor series discussion (SPOILERS).

I never thought I would care about Thor or any of his Asgard buddies. But I seriously love this.

I wonder what the repercussions of Odin returning, if he does, will be?

Loki is planning something.

I also liked the town's stories of meeting some of the Gods.

And this is the same guy that wrote some of Ultimate Power!?

Last edited:

And this is the same guy that wrote some of Ultimate Power!?

Well, I believe it is based on Neil Gaiman's original plot, and probably uses some of Mark Millar's ideas as well.

Just wait until you read it.

It's so brilliant.

I don't even like Thor.

I know, who would of thought a solo for him would be so good? It's funny, in these previews I don't see any old English phrases, yet the UU decides to adopt it when 616 drops it

I love the internal struggle Thor is facing now.

As well as the revelation that despite the fact that he's been struggling with the idea of brining Odin back...sunconsciously he's already made the decision not to.

But while all this character development is happening---we're not getting a lot of action. But then again, now that he is imbued with the power of Odin, who could really stand up to him? We're 7 issues in and the only note worthy fight we've seen was a 2-3 page splash of Thor ripping Tony a new one.

I'm hoping that now that JMS has made Thor restor Asgard and its inhabitants, we get some more external conflict going.

I love the internal struggle Thor is facing now.

As well as the revelation that despite the fact that he's been struggling with the idea of brining Odin back...sunconsciously he's already made the decision not to.

But while all this character development is happening---we're not getting a lot of action. But then again, now that he is imbued with the power of Odin, who could really stand up to him? We're 7 issues in and the only note worthy fight we've seen was a 2-3 page splash of Thor ripping Tony a new one.

I'm hoping that now that JMS has made Thor restor Asgard and its inhabitants, we get some more external conflict going.
Agreed on all accounts.

This series looks very awesome. Just the previews alone are amazing.

But I'm seven months late.

Should I just pick up the issues, or wait for the TPB to come out? Or do both? 8)

Depends.

To be honest, the series does move pretty slow in single issue form. It probably would read better in trade.

But I personally like the single form and if you're able to read some comics in your LCS, then go ahead and read these in single to get caught up and then decide whether you want to continue getting it monthly or in trade.

This series looks very awesome. Just the previews alone are amazing.

But I'm seven months late.

Should I just pick up the issues, or wait for the TPB to come out? Or do both? 8)

I'm reading the issues but I've only read up to #5. I will be picking up the collection (it will probably be a Premiere Hardcover).

It does move kind of slow if you read the issues, but it's still good.

And I don't think you can go wrong with Oliver Coipel. He made House of M readable.

I like this...I think I like Thor. What are some good Thor stories? Should I check out some Lee/Kirby stuff?

EDIT: Also noticed a lot of similarities between Thor and Aquaman, and not just the epic beard with a arch-nemesis as a brother.

Last edited:

This series has been GREAT!!! (I have always been a Thor fan tho) I had hoped that if they brought him back they would do it right and they finally did it. I was always bothered by how a god could let himself become so embroiled in mortal conflicts and how a god could actually be challenged by mere mortals. This series seems to really portray Thor as a god. The beat down of Iron Man was awesome and totally gave that feeling of superiority. Thor beat him like he was a little baby. Love the art also. As far as the pacing goes, I like the slower pace with more character development. It could be boring but it isn't. JMS is doing a great job.

Apparently there is going to be a fight between Hulk and Thor coming up. (not sure if it is red Hulk or green Hulk...don't care) I will be extremely disappointed if Thor does not hand Hulk his a** in much the same way he did to IM. I know Hulk is strong and everything, but he is no god of thunder. Thor should totally own Hulk.

Ninja, pretty much anything from the Simonson era is great. The arc where Thor is poisoned by Hela and he creates his armor is a great arc. The arc with the dark elves is also great. Honestly, you really can't go wrong in that whole run.

I was always bothered by how a god could let himself become so embroiled in mortal conflicts and how a god could actually be challenged by mere mortals. This series seems to really portray Thor as a god.

Having not read any previous Thor stuff myself, I too often wondered how a god could allow himself to be bothered by mortal conflicts. Now I've heard that his connection/chains to mortal issues stemmed from his Donald Blake side. As a god, Thor could've left humanity to its own long ago....but his Blake persona enabled him to connect with the people he protected on a deeper level.

I don't know if Marvel ever really touched upon the internal struggle between Thor and Blake before....but they're doing a damn fine job with it now.

I've just been rereading thru this series so far and I swear it's one of the best titles Marvel is putting out right now.

Last edited:

I've just been rereading thru this series so far and I swear it's one of the best titles Marvel is putting out right now.

It really is. I just could never wrap my head around the fact that Thor could defeat a world serpant and frost giants and the Destroyer etc, but then would have a hard time with the Wrecking Crew or Absorbing man. PUH-LEEZE.

I even like how they use different lettering for the Asgardians speaking than they use for mortals. Something that small and simple really adds to the feeling that it is gods we are dealing with here.

Something that small and simple really adds to the feeling that it is gods we are dealing with here.

It is the nice little details that show the difference.

The only thing I'm hoping for is the title to pick up some real steam and get with the external protagonists.

This series has been GREAT!!! (I have always been a Thor fan tho) I had hoped that if they brought him back they would do it right and they finally did it. I was always bothered by how a god could let himself become so embroiled in mortal conflicts and how a god could actually be challenged by mere mortals. This series seems to really portray Thor as a god. The beat down of Iron Man was awesome and totally gave that feeling of superiority. Thor beat him like he was a little baby. Love the art also. As far as the pacing goes, I like the slower pace with more character development. It could be boring but it isn't. JMS is doing a great job.

Apparently there is going to be a fight between Hulk and Thor coming up. (not sure if it is red Hulk or green Hulk...don't care) I will be extremely disappointed if Thor does not hand Hulk his a** in much the same way he did to IM. I know Hulk is strong and everything, but he is no god of thunder. Thor should totally own Hulk.

Ninja, pretty much anything from the Simonson era is great. The arc where Thor is poisoned by Hela and he creates his armor is a great arc. The arc with the dark elves is also great. Honestly, you really can't go wrong in that whole run.

Hulk has beaten gods before....Hell,he's has fought Thor before.

It's Red Hulk he's fighting and he's teaming up With Banner Hulk to fight him.

Having not read any previous Thor stuff myself, I too often wondered how a god could allow himself to be bothered by mortal conflicts. Now I've heard that his connection/chains to mortal issues stemmed from his Donald Blake side. As a god, Thor could've left humanity to its own long ago....but his Blake persona enabled him to connect with the people he protected on a deeper level.

I don't know if Marvel ever really touched upon the internal struggle between Thor and Blake before....but they're doing a damn fine job with it now.

This is mainly because Thor loves Midgard and us mortals.That's pretty much been the theme in most of Thor's books.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back