Thor series discussion [Straczynski/Olivier Coipel; spoilers]

Re: Thor series discussion (SPOILERS).

I just read the new issue. The guest artist (I don't even want to bother spelling his name), was in top form.

Lady Sif is locked in a old women's body by Loki.

And the retelling of why Loki was adopted by Odin to be his curse was flawless.

Hulk has beaten gods before....Hell,he's has fought Thor before.

Yeah. I know. But it is silly that a god would be challenged by a mortal. Even the strongest mortal. But perhaps it was because back then Thor was "holding back". Plus he didn't have the Odin power before either. Those 2 things alone should make it so that Hulk should not last 5 minutes with Thor. Anything else would be a rip off. Thor should be able to beat Hulk with his hammer behind his back.

And the retelling of why Loki was adopted by Odin to be his curse was flawless.

It was cool. Except it doesn't explain how come Loki didn't grow up to be (and look like) a frost giant? The adult frost giants, like Loki's father, looked significantly different from the Asgardians. So is it just him manipulating his form so that he can look more Asgardian?

It was cool. Except it doesn't explain how come Loki didn't grow up to be (and look like) a frost giant? The adult frost giants, like Loki's father, looked significantly different from the Asgardians. So is it just him manipulating his form so that he can look more Asgardian?

It's always been this way even in myth.Besides It was always said that he wasn't like other Frost Giants plus most frost giants his age where giants.

Yeah. I know. But it is silly that a god would be challenged by a mortal. Even the strongest mortal. But perhaps it was because back then Thor was "holding back". Plus he didn't have the Odin power before either. Those 2 things alone should make it so that Hulk should not last 5 minutes with Thor. Anything else would be a rip off. Thor should be able to beat Hulk with his hammer behind his back.

True, though remember this fight is taking place in Hulk's book that's written by loeb so we can't expect much.

Last edited:

But it is silly that a god would be challenged by a mortal.

I agree with this. I can't remember if it was Wrecker or Absorbing Man, but doesn't one of them always brag that they've fought Thor to a standstill or something like that? Stupid.

I agree with this. I can't remember if it was Wrecker or Absorbing Man, but doesn't one of them always brag that they've fought Thor to a standstill or something like that? Stupid.

Wrecker has asgardian powers so it makes sence and Absorbing man could Suck the powers of his hammer.

Call me old school but them Creel/Thor fight where always cool. Besides, this is superhero thor.

It was Wrecker who braged btw.

I'm fine with a select few being able to stand with Thor.

Hulk being one of the them. The Sentry another.

I just read the new issue. The guest artist (I don't even want to bother spelling his name), was in top form.

Yeah he was. He's been doing a LOT of Marvel's covers this past year and I've always wondered what his interior work would look like.

Question answered.

But I still want Oliver back.

Lady Sif is locked in a old women's body by Loki.

Which I thought was probably the highlight of the book. After re-reading the entire run so far I missed the part where Loki conspired with Doom to become free.

So now that Asgard and all it's inhabitants have been restored, it'll be good to see the book pick up speed with some forthcoming action.

I thought the scene with odin and thor was good.

Also what odin was saying about dying honorably in battle over and over being the greatest norse idea of heaven....kinda reminded me of what JMS said in One More Day.. Mephisto doesn't want souls because people give them and go to hell knowing they did the right thing and so wether through the pain because they know they're righteous...

I like that idea a lot. The idea that you can beat something like hell or death by taking honor from it. Obviously JMS does too since he put it in both his books...or I'm reading too much into it.

The fight against Surtur was cool also. You don't see Thor's hammer covered in blood often enough.

And surtur is the guy from Ragnorok right? I read that a few days ago...didn't really understand what was going on. There's the ragnorok cycle wher surtur comes and destroys asgard....and this time they were weakened because loki made a load of Mjoliner copies (how do you even spell this)..and odin was dead already?

But then Thor and Odin together can beat him...is this cuz Odin wasn't there the first time? or cuz Thor has his hammer and is a lot stronger? ..or just that in ragnorok Thor lets him win?

I didn't really get it that much. I downloaded some of the other Oeming stories as well, are they any good? Will they help me understand ragnorok? Was ragnorok good? I don't feel I understood it enough to really enjoy it.

And surtur is the guy from Ragnorok right?

Yes.

I didn't really get it that much. I downloaded some of the other Oeming stories as well, are they any good? Will they help me understand ragnorok? Was ragnorok good? I don't feel I understood it enough to really enjoy it.

I actually was a little confused by that story as well. I had not been buying Thor for a while by then and I just kind of jumped on when they were doing the Thor "disassembled" ragnarok story arc. I actually don't even have all of them. So I can't really speak about the Oeming run.

Last edited:

I am probably in the minority here, but there are parts of this book that are just stupid. I can't figure out if the stupid parts outweigh the good parts.

The stuff with the Norse gods in the small town is just so dumb sometimes. Like it's trying to be cutesy or something. I realize that after hundreds and hundreds of issues of Thor it might be necessary to make some changes...but I'm not sure this is a good one. A Norse god not knowing what a toilet is? It just comes across as stupid slapstick humor, and doesn't seem appropriate in this book.

I am probably in the minority here, but there are parts of this book that are just stupid. I can't figure out if the stupid parts outweigh the good parts.

I think you're in the minority. There are indeed some parts that are stupid and done for comedic effect to balance out some of the more serious issues....but they're so miniscule that it doesn't really have an adverse effect on the book.

The stuff with the Norse gods in the small town is just so dumb sometimes.

Sometimes it is....sometimes it isn't. The whole "we r here for teh cake godlolz" thing was cutesy but not really needed. At least that's what I thought at first.

After re-reading the issues, I soon saw what JMS was trying to do. Before, Asgard was on a whole nother plane...they wouldn't have to interact with humans. All he's doing now is showing the awkwardness that would be involved with their newfound interactions. And these are the small town hicks that aren't used to seeing the same marvels that the people of NY have become customed to.

Like it's trying to be cutesy or something. I realize that after hundreds and hundreds of issues of Thor it might be necessary to make some changes...but I'm not sure this is a good one. A Norse god not knowing what a toilet is? It just comes across as stupid slapstick humor, and doesn't seem appropriate in this book.

Also, the one scene that really sticks out is the scene with Bill meeting the female Norse God in the streets at night. Showing another aspect of what could happen if 2 different types of people began to mingle. Not everything would be awkward. At some point there'd be a possiblity of love.

The stuff with the Norse gods in the small town is just so dumb sometimes.

It kinda reminds me of Preacher. Donald blake road trippin' through texas, with the power of a God.

also that God who was just walking about, like he said he'd probably walked 50 miles, with that boar on his back. That was just a nice touch. Not just us getting to know the asgardians, but the asgardians kicking back exploring the exotic land of america.

The stuff with the Norse gods in the small town is just so dumb sometimes. Like it's trying to be cutesy or something. I realize that after hundreds and hundreds of issues of Thor it might be necessary to make some changes...but I'm not sure this is a good one. A Norse god not knowing what a toilet is? It just comes across as stupid slapstick humor, and doesn't seem appropriate in this book.

Except norse gods don't have toilets so it makes sense that they don't know what a toilet is. They aren't all knowing after all.

Most of this story is based of a Gaiman pitch for this, that JMS is just doing.

For those that don't know.

I'm unsure where it begins and where it ends.

Most of this story is based of a Gaiman pitch for this, that JMS is just doing.

For those that don't know.

I'm unsure where it begins and where it ends.

It's very similar to Gaiman's Eternal's basic plot, but i don't imagine Gaiman was the first person to use this plot device anyway

It's also similar to American Gods, which is probably what Gaiman was going for.

I got my Thor Vol. 1 Premiere Hardcover and just finished it.

I really like it.

It was well done and seemed to strike just the right balance between being self-contained and leading into the next arc.

I never read Thor before this and it's been years since I studied Norse mythology, but I got the gist of the characters and everything made sense.

The "cutesy" parts I complained about before aren't really that bad...the worst of it is the town hall meeting in #6, and it wasn't too bad.

I decided that I really do like the idea of having the gods interacting with the regular people.

And the Iron Man beatdown was great.

4.5/5

Latest posts

Back