Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Discussion (SPOILERS)

How would you rate Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen?

• Total voters
I'm still quite glad I didn't bother to see this in the theater.

I completely agree with DSF in every aspect except for it not letting me enjoy the movie, which I did, simply because it was fun to look at, fun to experience, and even then only enough for one intentional viewing.

Same here. It's just a stupid popcorn flick with the Transformers in it.

If there is a negative aspect to this film, it is this: these films are becoming the iconic depiction of the Transformers in popular culture. Even though there have been Transformers stories that have been a thousand times better.

*tearily salutes a Dinobot action figure*

*tearily salutes a Dinobot action figure*

Huh?

How is anything in this film any stupider than the very concept of Dinobots?

Do people think the original Transformers shows were written by Shakespeare or something? Are your memories that bad?

Huh?

Do people think the original Transformers shows were written by Shakespeare or something? Are your memories that bad?

I think he means Dinobot, the individual, from Beast Wars.

And he's absolutely right. Terrific character by any measure. More character development in any two episodes than all the combined characters in this series. Heck, he quoted Shakespeare a few times. Amazing show. I rewatched it just after the first Transformers movie came out and it's still one of the very best animated series ever.

I think he means Dinobot, the individual, from Beast Wars.

And he's absolutely right. Terrific character by any measure. More character development in any two episodes than all the combined characters in this series. Heck, he quoted Shakespeare a few times. Amazing show. I rewatched it just after the first Transformers movie came out and it's still one of the very best animated series ever.

Definitely. I wished the movie was up to that caliber, but I don't mind stupid fun.

Huh?

I've never been that big a fan of G1, if that's what you're refering to.

As for Dinobot...I suggest you go watch the Beast Wars episodes "Maximal No More" and "Code Of Hero." If nothing else, you'll learn why Dinobot (just barely related to the G1 Dinobots) is such a better character then anyone in these films.

I've never been that big a fan of G1, if that's what you're refering to.

As for Dinobot...I suggest you go watch the Beast Wars episodes "Maximal No More" and "Code Of Hero." If nothing else, you'll learn why Dinobot (just barely related to the G1 Dinobots) is such a better character then anyone in these films.

I'm talking about the concept of a Dinobot or Dinobots. I've seen a few Beast Wars episodes because my son loves them and they are good. But I'm not talking about the quality of that show or the quality of his character or his character development. I'm just talking about the idea of a big mechanical dinosaur that transforms into a robot.

I'm talking about the concept of a Dinobot or Dinobots. I've seen a few Beast Wars episodes because my son loves them and they are good. But I'm not talking about the quality of that show or the quality of his character or his character development. I'm just talking about the idea of a big mechanical dinosaur that transforms into a robot.

But any sci fi concept can be seen as silly when you think about it, a guy who gets powers from a radioactive spider or a guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime, can be seen as silly.

Saying a concept is fundamentally silly doesn't wash with me, its all about the execution, a brilliant execution can make a silly concept work.

Last edited:

It makes sense in Beast Wars context due to it's own theme

In the original show, the Ark awoke those Autobots to protect it during prehistoric times. The only things around to scan were dinosaurs.

I admit, it was nothing more than a marketing scheme to cash in on dinosaurs and robots, but that was the explanation storywise.

Last edited:
In the original show, the Ark awoke those Autobots to protect it during prehistoric times. The only things around to scan were dinosaurs.

I admit, it was nothing more than a marketing scheme to cash in on dinosaurs and robots, but that was the explanation storywise.

Beast Wars used a similar concept, though they used animals other then dinosaurs.

If it makes you feel any better E, I remember reading that one of the writers for this said he wasn't too interested in having the Dinobots appear, just because he doesn't like dinosaurs that much and he thinks they'd be an odd fit story wise.

He might have changed his mind, though.

But any sci fi concept can be seen as silly when you think about it, a guy who gets powers from a radioactive spider or a guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime, can be seen as silly.

Saying a concept is fundamentally silly doesn't wash with me, its all about the execution, a brilliant execution can make a silly concept work.

Exactly.

And E, as a Transformers fan you should definitely try going through Beast Wars proper some time. It's hands-down the best Transformers series out there.

Beast Wars used a similar concept, though they used animals other then dinosaurs.

If it makes you feel any better E, I remember reading that one of the writers for this said he wasn't too interested in having the Dinobots appear, just because he doesn't like dinosaurs that much and he thinks they'd be an odd fit story wise.

He might have changed his mind, though.

Exactly.

And E, as a Transformers fan you should definitely try going through Beast Wars proper some time. It's hands-down the best Transformers series out there.

Guys, you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that Dinobot doesn't make sense within the context of the show. Heck, I'm not even saying I don't like them - Sludge was my most prized possession when I was a kid.

All I'm saying is that it's kind of dumb to complain about the ridiculousness of the Transformers movie and all of the immature parts then turn around and suggest using a Dinobot, as if that would somehow dignify the whole thing.

The whole concept of Transformers is goofy; how can you expect a movie about it not to be?

And yes, PM - I have the entire Beast Wars (and Beast Machines) series queued up and ready for me whenever I get a chance to watch them. I've liked what I've seen so far, which has been minimal, but these came out quite a bit after my time.

And yes, PM - I have the entire Beast Wars (and Beast Machines) series queued up and ready for me whenever I get a chance to watch them. I've liked what I've seen so far, which has been minimal, but these came out quite a bit after my time.

Whoa, beware Beast Machines. It really is pretty bad

Whoa, beware Beast Machines. It really is pretty bad

Hmm. OK.

I've got some other series as well, but skipping through them they seemed kind of crappy too. I don't remember all of them - Energon, Armada, and some others I think.

I think Grocer's Man's initial point wasn't that the concepts of Dinobot or Beast Wars are smarter than the new Transformers movie. It's that their stories and characterization are much less shallow, and it's disappointing that that stuff is fairly obscure now while the "things blow up, a lot, the rest is disposable" factor is what the 'verse is becoming known for because that's what they picked for the films.

I'm just talking about the idea of a big mechanical dinosaur that transforms into a robot.

You mean a robot that transforms into a dinosaur?

Why do you need to disguise yourself from dinosaurs?

The concept of dinobots works well though. The changing in to giant dinosaurs not that hard to imagine considering we had Scorponok and he was just a giant robot scorpion that transformed.

Also given the content in the movies and combining that with other transformers elements e.g the origin in the new Transformers animated. We have robot dinosaurs on earth as universal studio uses them for rides, They were used in Jurassic park. Is the idea that the all-spark or something like that would turn those robots in to transformers?

However stuff like the decepticon disguised as a real girl and felt real ect... is a stupider concept for these. Why?

1st) The transformers don't know too much about our world. To the point of trying to shoot the dog. It's too hard to imagine they got our mannerisms down to the point of perfectly blending into a collage.

2nd) We had not been lead to believe the human skin reproductive capabilities existed at all period. Yet we see it work to such a convincing degree here?

The characters Mudflap and Skids were too comic relief that their concepts do not work. They are from a world destroyed by war. Yes they can make some jokes but their very concept undermines the seriousness or the war.

That's just to name 2.

So while the concept of transforming dinosaurs maybe silly it would make more sense than a lot of thing that were in the second film E.

Why do you need to disguise yourself from dinosaurs?

Why do need to disguise yourself as giant scorpion or an alien looking ship or alien looking tank? You don't. But it's a war so some disguises like that are understandable as they are too attack the other transformation states.

E.g A T-rex could attack say Bumble bee or Sideways

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back