ultimate beast

XTFLyons said:
I know everyone loves cross overs... but Beast is an X-Men... right?

Let me think...

Beast was in X-men in 616...

Beast was in X-men in UU...

Beast was in Avengers in 616...

Nah I can't see a reason why Beast should join the Ultimates, forget I said anything.

XTFLyons said:
I know everyone loves cross overs... but Beast is an X-Men... right? I just think he should stay as part of the x-team

And Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were part of the Brotherhood. So was Cyclops for that matter. Sometimes switchups happen.

And Goody - I like the black ops idea for a reason why his death would be faked.

Well, E, it would make perfect sense in terms of Fury's character and the gov't for that matter. They want to undermine Xavier and uproot him from the position that he is in and what better way than to fake deaths and put him at a loss and slowly, yet, surely take apart his "army" and put together your own... Very good strategy.

I still prefer Beast stays dead. But if he has to come back, then it should be something like that

Has anyone read the UXM Vol. 1 hardcover? Well, a couple of things of interest.
At the back of the book they have printed an e-mail or something that Millar had sent to Marvel addressing, rather broadly, what he planned to do with the first arc of the series (before, as it's said at the top of the page, Marvel decided to base it "more on the movies than the original comic". Bad idea, btw). Anyway, in this version, Millar not only has Mystique on the team instead of Colossus and has Logan as a member from the start, but describes the feel of the book as that of a "spy movie". In it, The X-Men are working for the government and performing anti-terrorist operations by Magneto and his Brotherhood. Xavier is still their leader but operates directly out of the White House, as he has been advising the President on "domestic, economic, and foreign policy initiatives" since he was 18 years old. Senator Kelly is leading the dispute against The President's rumoured association with mutants and is recieving a "no comment" from The White House.

Millar also has some interesting ideas about the danger room, looking to incorperate it in a way similar to the training sessions from the first Matrix film, an idea that would have been wise to stick with considering he couldn't make up his blasted mind during his run.

The plot itself shares various elements of what was The Tomorrow People arc. The X-Men saved Iceman and he was recruited to the team. All of the X-Men bar Marvel Girl and Iceman jumped to The Brotherhood (just as Cyclops did in the final version), and The Sentinel's were sent to The Savage Land to wipe out The Brotherhood but are reprogrammed by Magneto and sent back to wipe out America, and The X-Men who jumped ship return to the team, when Jean tempts back Scott. Millar doesn't give details of the fight with Magneto, only that he marches right up to The President on the White House lawn to make him watch his country die, and that Magneto will "supposedly" be killed.

At the end, Xavier decides he was as wrong as Magneto to side with one group of ideologues and he and his X-Men go underground with all of the equipment paid for them by the government.

Now, not only does the plot in full seem to correct many of the flaws with Millar's final version (I did prefer Wolverine jumping from The Brotherhood to The X-Men, though), but I noticed that this original idea is part The Tomorow People and part New Mutants. If you take out elements of the first arc, what you're left with is most of the main plot points of Bendis' New Mutants.
And why have I posted this in this thread? Well, you know how where I mentioned most of the X-Men jumping ship? Wanna know why they jumped ship? Because Beast, who just saved hundreds of people during a Brotherhood terrorist attack, was caught under falling rubble (ala The Tomorrow People and New Mutants). The soldiers wouldn't help The X-Men go back for him because his mutant life wasn't worth risking any human lives for. Beast dies.

So, not only was Bendis not really the mastermind behind the New Mutants arc (well, not all of it), but it looks as though Beast was always intended or was at least always considered to be killed off in the series right from day 1.

Thought some of you might find this interesting if you hadn't read it yourselves.

Very much so. I don't collect in hardcover at all and have never read that. Thanks for taking to time to post that, it explains a lot.

That was so good I might split it off into it's own thread...

I do remember hearing that Millar was going to kill off Beast in the very beginning, which I thought would have been bad on his part. I'm glad they kept him around until the New Mutants arc.

Crikey...

Beast will be back.

How many times has a comic book character died and has been destroyed completely, deceased, burnt, buried, disintegrated, gone kaput, only to re-appear several issues later?

Beast has 40 years of continuity behind him.

He is a well known, well loved charachter.

He is also a money earner for Marvel.

He has sold issues as an X-man and an Avenger.

He is not totally dead.

Anybody who says that it is not believable for him to be alive better double check what sort of literature they are reading... erm hello... comic books... fiction... the world of fantasy where any thing can happen... and we have already come up with several ideas on how he can return.

Now I appreciate that some of the writers who have been working on the Ultimate titles at the moment are keen to keep him dead.

This may also apply to the editor and the chief and the publisher.

But writers change, artists change, editors change and at the end of the day, if a new writer comes on board with an asskicking plot to bring him back, which will sell $hit loads of comics do you really think Marvel are going to say... erm nah thanks -we're rich enough as it is.

longshotjimlee said:
How many times has a comic book character died and has been destroyed completely, deceased, burnt, buried, disintegrated, gone kaput, only to re-appear several issues later?

Beast has 40 years of continuity behind him.

And that convuluted continuity is exactly what the Ultimate books were meant to eliminate.

Death of a popular character sucks, but it's a necessary evil. In the Ultimate Universe, I hope dead guys would stay dead, since the writers are going for realism and would therefore make death meaningful and truly tragic. The shock factor Bendis caused by killing off Beast and then Gwen Stacy shows that how the readers have connected with the characters of the Ultimate Universe, and was probably deliberate. You truly sympathize with how horrible Storm felt, as well as how Peter Parker's anguish and sadness when he broke down crying after Gwen's death. I mean who would care if some unknown punk or villain bit the bullet, or if some hero gets revived a hundred times?

BTW, Beast is 17. There's a scene with Iceman and Rogue in the Tempest arc where they're talking about good people dying young. Iceman comments that Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix died at a young age of 27. Rogue than replies by disagreeing that 27 is not really young, but 17 is. So since most likely they're talking about Beast, he is definitely a minor, which means Fury can't take him in to the Ultimates, like he can't take in Spider-Man.

Beast acts pretty much like a teen. He's naive enough to think that the "MutantChick" he chats with during the Hellfire and Brimstone arc is actually a real girl, he seriously lacks self-esteem because he thinks he's hideous, and he's a pretty rebellious and angst-filled character who easily gets jealous or offended. He's pretty far from the well-articulated gentleman he was portrayed in 616 (at least in the 90s, I don't follow the regular universe comics today so I have no idea.).

Last edited:
Beats was buried, all right? Could we only read and accept what we have so far? Don't add to the confusion that we have already, there's too much already.

Latest posts

Back