Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (discussion/spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 (Discussion/Spoilers)

I hated it. All of it.

I can't stand the art. If I wanted manga I'd read a manga book. If I wanted cutesy I'd read Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane.

The entire thing reads like the writer has been painted into a horrible corner, which, whaddya know, is exactly what happened. It's just crap - the stuff with Peter working at a fast food joint (what?! Peter as webmaster for the DB was a great modern spin), the whole thing with Gwen (isn't that what is happening on the Spider-Man cartoon?), and - worse of all - the whole thing with May knowing he's Spider-Man. That's a completely retarded premise. What parental figure would allow their kid to run around the city in tights fighting evil thugs and whatnot. It's absurd and it doesn't do anything to convince the reader that there's any iota of logic in it.

I hated it. All of it.

I can't stand the art. If I wanted manga I'd read a manga book. If I wanted cutesy I'd read Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane.

The entire thing reads like the writer has been painted into a horrible corner, which, whaddya know, is exactly what happened. It's just crap - the stuff with Peter working at a fast food joint (what?! Peter as webmaster for the DB was a great modern spin), the whole thing with Gwen (isn't that what is happening on the Spider-Man cartoon?), and - worse of all - the whole thing with May knowing he's Spider-Man. That's a completely retarded premise. What parental figure would allow their kid to run around the city in tights fighting evil thugs and whatnot. It's absurd and it doesn't do anything to convince the reader that there's any iota of logic in it.

Are you implying that Ultimatum painted Bendis into a corner?

Because I feel, if anyone's to blame for being backed against the wall, it's Bendis himself.

The art is wonderful and I shall brook no dissent!

If only the mask squinted more!!!!

Last edited:

Yeah, I didn't like he brought him back again for 2 pages just to kill him off like that. It's pointless.

What makes it worse is that we know Bendis will eventually bring him back again.

Unless its a giant fake out death with a plot purpose, like when Booster Gold "died" in 52. That could be cool.

Villains do fake out deaths all the time, no body, no death.

Remember back in the 80s, when Hobgoblin's van crashed into the Hudson river and exploded and Spidey found nothing but Hobgoblin's mask, it was pretty clear Hobgoblin was not dead. Kingpin's "death" could be part of a Xanatos gambit.

I have a bit of faith that Bendis has "killed" Kingpin with some deeper purpose then just a shock death.

Last edited:

The art was the best part! Lafuente is great!

Are you implying that Ultimatum painted Bendis into a corner?

Because I feel, if anyone's to blame for being backed against the wall, it's Bendis himself.

Loeb and Bendis both.

Alright, so. I liked it.

Overall, anyways, although I had some issues with it, so I'll get those out of the way first. I honestly felt like things were gonna be...different. More different. Not just "Everybody loves Spidey and now he's smooching Gwen" different. This was just another day in the life of Peter Parker, Spider-man: no exploration of family feelings regarding his "death" in Ultimatum, no Spider-man substitute (which I could have SWORN Bendis talked about), nothing. Maybe that'll all come later, and I know many thought the book was better off separating itself from the godawful cluster**** that was Ultimatum, but it's just that the status quo doesn't seemed to have changed, at all. At least not in a larger sense. I dunno. And the whole Kingpin thing did seem a bit of a waste, but maybe he isn't dead, who knows. It'd be kinda cool to see the two fight, and I'm still really digging Ultimate Mysterio, so maybe I'm being more forgiving than I ought to be. Finally, I actually kinda wish Peter hadn't shown up as Spider-man to that robbery attempt. I get that Bendis wanted to show how everybody loves him now, but I felt it would have been a better intro for the Shroud if Spidey had just been kept away, or something.

I liked pretty much everything else. The art doesn't bother me as much as it did in the Annual, although I still prefer Immonen and think his run on the title was tragically short. I'm interested in the whole Peter-Gwen thing: how it came to be, what happened with MJ, etc, etc. I liked the opening sequence at Burger Frog ("I'm a manager" "the food doesn't know that", etc), and I liked the bit with him at home. Nobody's ever this happy in USM. It's kinda nice to see, though I'm guessing it won't last long.

so I was able to find a comic book store in Quebec City today and get a copy of this. I have no problem with the art, but it was a very bland issue. This was a "hey here's the new status quo" issue. And that's lame. Tell us a compelling story and give us the status quo along the way.

And I HATE the Peter/Gwen dating relationship. Why? I really liked the brother/sister dynamic they had going on, why would you ruin that?

Oh well, I'm sure I'll eventually start enjoying this again.

so I was able to find a comic book store in Quebec City today and get a copy of this. I have no problem with the art, but it was a very bland issue. This was a "hey here's the new status quo" issue. And that's lame. Tell us a compelling story and give us the status quo along the way.

And I HATE the Peter/Gwen dating relationship. Why? I really liked the brother/sister dynamic they had going on, why would you ruin that?

Oh well, I'm sure I'll eventually start enjoying this again.

Excuse me. I'm from the South.

Do you have a problem with brothers and sisters dating each other? Are you telling me there's something wrong with how we breed down here?

Last edited:

By the way, in terms of Shroud's identity, the whole ending portion of the scene at the crime scene, with the panels zooming in on him overlooking the store, standing in front of the Moon is either obvious foreshadowing that it is Moon Knight, a red herring, or just an attempt to be stylistic in the vein of The Crow.

So, its either Moon Knight or it isn't? Well that clears things up.

JK, but good catch.

By the way, in terms of Shroud's identity, the whole ending portion of the scene at the crime scene, with the panels zooming in on him overlooking the store, standing in front of the Moon is either obvious foreshadowing that it is Moon Knight, a red herring, or just an attempt to be stylistic in the vein of The Crow.

did bullets bounce off Moon Knight?

What I liked: The art. David Lafuente is wonderful. It's clean, clear, light, energetic, detailed, and fun all at once. Wonderful.

What I didn't like: The writing. Ugh. Remember how Gwen Stacey hated Spider-Man, knew he was Peter Parker, was living in his house, and Aunt May didn't know Peter was Spidey? Remember that tension? And then remember how Gwen suddenly went, "Sorry for being a tool" and then died because no one saw the potential of a cool sub-plot there? Well, now she's back, smooching with Peter/Spidey and Aunt May knows and it's all wonderful tra-la-la-la happiness pie and it's so boring. Also, Bendis brings back Kingpin, spends a whole page explaining how the man can even be in the USA (even though I recall him returning in #50 or so but I forget exactly the situation) and then, after building him up for two pages... kills him to introduce a new villain who kinda looks like Electro and I have to wonder why he thought this would make me go, "Wow! New villain!" instead of, "That's it?" There's no need for Kingpin to be there. I thought Loeb had killed enough characters. Apparently, Kingpin survived Ultimatum just so Bendis could whack him for no real reason. That's right. I am convinced that at no point will the Mysterio arc require the death of Kingpin in order to work. It is a shock death. Ugh.

Did you read the annual where Mysterio showed up for the first time?

I always see you rip into villains taking out old villains. Sometimes you are right but sometimes you are wrong. This was a good way. Why wouldn't you take out your rivals or the man that can not be touched. It would improve your cred for sure.

I see you rip into all the different ways people try to introduce villains but I never see any ideas how to do it "the right way".

But again I really really loved this. Art was great, I was loving USM with Immonen on board and it seems like I will be loving this.

In half of the Gwen/Peter scenes, Peter Parker totally looks like Gwen Stacey's lesbian lover. hot.

Villains do fake out deaths all the time, no body, no death.

Not to be confused with the SBPD's motto of "No body, no crime." Now that the requisite Psych reference is out of the way, I have to say that this was one of my favorite comics of the year (not saying much because I'm only reading about a dozen comics right now). I thought the plot was great. Everything seemed to have a purpose. I (and I realize a lot of people disagree with me on this) like Bendis's dialogue in USM. I liked the dialogue in this issue as well. I really liked the art. I think it fits the new tone of the book. That said, I didn't care for his take on Johnny Storm (though I liked how the Human Torch looked on the cover) and I also disliked the shape of Spider-Man's head (though I thought Peter Parker looked normal enough). Back on the positive side, I think that the color complimented the art well. Looking forward to issue two.

Last edited:

Did you read the annual where Mysterio showed up for the first time?

I always see you rip into villains taking out old villains. Sometimes you are right but sometimes you are wrong. This was a good way. Why wouldn't you take out your rivals or the man that can not be touched. It would improve your cred for sure.

I see you rip into all the different ways people try to introduce villains but I never see any ideas how to do it "the right way".

Firstly - I may have read the annual, I may not have. I can't remember. And since this is #001, I shouldn't have to have read anything prior to it to 'get it'.

As for the right/wrong way - My problem isn't so much that Mysterio killed Kingpin, but rather that it was just needless and gratuitous. I don't mean from Mysterio's point of view - from his, it's totally fine. From Bendis', it's shoddy.

And you're probably right - I bash more than I... I dunno what the word is.

Anyhow, the "right" way to introduce a villain...

The problem with having a new villain kill and old villain is that it's done to show how badass the new villain is. See, the new villain generates no heat or excitement or menace. Instead, it cannibalizes the previous villain, stealing their menace. The writer removes a toy from the toybox and replaces it with one of their own making. The original villain however, did not do this. The original villain worked on its own. The only reason the new villain does this is because it's easier.

The right way to introduce a villain would be...

Bane: Bane breaks all of the inmates of Arkham Asylum, forcing Batman to capture all his villains simultaneously. When he does so, Batman returns to the cave at his weakest condition - and Bane is in the cave waiting for him. He then cripples him. Yes, it's true that Bane did break Killer Croc and used Batman's gallery to get Batman, but here's the thing: the Killer Croc thing is rubbish. And he didn't have to step on top of the other villains - in fact, he used the villains carefully to his own ends to create menace.

The Black Glove: The Black Glove in Morrison's BATMAN: RIP actually worked very similarly to Bane - using Batman's well-established history as pawns in a game to destroy Batman. The Black Glove went further by creating a new demonic Batman-villain of fire and created menace for him by setting him up with dreams and prophecies and two previous Batmen, and of course, he was a set up for the Black Glove.

(Quickly - if I'm babbling it's because I'm really tired. But this is a good point you made so I'm trying to be coherent.)

The Joker: (man, these are all Batman references) in THE DARK KNIGHT he creates menace with the bank heist, and then the pencil trick. Yes, a villain entering and killing a character is fine, the problem is when they kill a pre-existing villain purely for the sake of setting up menace. Imagine if TDK opened with Joker pulling the pencil trick on the Scarecrow. No no no.

Venom: (yay, no Batman) Lots of foreshadowing and when he appeared he attacked Spidey in a way no other villai had.

For Mysterio, the 'right way' (as if there's only one and I know it!) could've been probably more menacing if you had a bunch of mafia guys sitting in a room and Mysterio has called the meeting to take over the gangs and he's just an illusion and then boom and everyone dies.

Or something. I'm really knackered. Tell you what, if I made no sense or was rubbish, let me know and I'll try again properly. I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm finding it hard to articulate. And I'm sure I can come up with "5 ways to introduce Ultimate Mysterio" than killing the Kingpin when I'm not this tired. :)

Latest posts

Back