Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (discussion/spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 (Discussion/Spoilers)

I've already said the only reason I'm reading this is for the art. I think it's great and very suitable for something like a comic where Spider-Man is a kid. It's fun.

Agreed.

My 9-year-old sister, who I read the series with, loves the art too. And in the end, that's really all that matters, right?

I have always loved Immonen. I was there before Nextwave. :)

Me too, and same here.

Firstly - I may have read the annual, I may not have. I can't remember. And since this is #001, I shouldn't have to have read anything prior to it to 'get it'.

As for the right/wrong way - My problem isn't so much that Mysterio killed Kingpin, but rather that it was just needless and gratuitous. I don't mean from Mysterio's point of view - from his, it's totally fine. From Bendis', it's shoddy.

And you're probably right - I bash more than I... I dunno what the word is.

Anyhow, the "right" way to introduce a villain...

The problem with having a new villain kill and old villain is that it's done to show how badass the new villain is. See, the new villain generates no heat or excitement or menace. Instead, it cannibalizes the previous villain, stealing their menace. The writer removes a toy from the toybox and replaces it with one of their own making. The original villain however, did not do this. The original villain worked on its own. The only reason the new villain does this is because it's easier.

For Mysterio, the 'right way' (as if there's only one and I know it!) could've been probably more menacing if you had a bunch of mafia guys sitting in a room and Mysterio has called the meeting to take over the gangs and he's just an illusion and then boom and everyone dies.

Or something. I'm really knackered. Tell you what, if I made no sense or was rubbish, let me know and I'll try again properly. I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm finding it hard to articulate. And I'm sure I can come up with "5 ways to introduce Ultimate Mysterio" than killing the Kingpin when I'm not this tired. :)

I know its a little late for me to respond to this, but please allow me to offer a counter point.

I thin Bendis has an ace up his sleeve here, I think he gave Kingpin a villian fake out death and he will back later on, to somehow help Spider-Man defeat Mysterio.

Last edited:

I know its a little late for me to respond to this, but please allow me to offer a counter point.

I thin Bendis has an ace up his sleeve here, I think he gave Kingpin a villian fake out death and he will back later on, to somehow help Spider-Man defeat Kingpin.

So Kingpin's gonna come back and help Peter defeat...Kingpin?

Last edited:

So Kingpin's gonna come back and help Peter defeat...Kingpin?

Sorry I was writing at work, so I had to write quickly and made a error, its fixed now.

Sorry I was writing at work, so I had to write quickly and made a error, its fixed now.

Nah, I agree with you. Kingpin's huge, both in figurative terms in relation to his character and...well, you know. I have a hard time believing a mere fall killed him.

Let it go, he's dead. It's Bendis post-Loeb. He doesn't/shouldn't give two ****s what happens.

Let it go, he's dead. It's Bendis post-Loeb. He doesn't/shouldn't give two ****s what happens.

Oh ye of little of faith, have you not seen a villain fake out death before? Seems like a good possibility that's the case here.

He thinks he's making a statement, he thinks he's making the second volume stronger by that statement.

He thinks he's making a statement, he thinks he's making the second volume stronger by that statement.

I think you are amking an assumption, which could be correct, but isn't a fact.

Bendis has some flaws as a writer, but he hasn't killed off a character in a completely meaningless fashion, I will say at even Wasp's death in secret Invasion served some purpose, it was one death and it was at the climax of the story, not the best death ever, but the worse either.

Considering Bendis gave Gobby a suitably dramatic death and seems to like the Kingpin, I would assume there is more then meets the eye here.

Plus a villain falling out of a building and "dying" is a classic villain fake out death. Baron Helmut Zemo fell off a ledge at least 4 times and he is still alive.

Last edited:

and lets not forget that it's possible that he's been around since WW2.

For all we know Fisk might be a demi-god...or Ultimate Ra's Al Ghul.

He looks cool, although here's Bendis doing his best at throwing away villains.

He looks cool, although here's Bendis doing his best at throwing away villains.

Isn't Man-Spider supposed to show up in Ultimate Avengers, too? Millar's not as big at throwing away villains.

EDIT: Should've read the preview. Huh. Neat.

Last edited:

The art is getting much much better, anyone else agree?

Latest posts

Back